Thank goodness that's all over

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Thank goodness that's all over

Post by YF Dan »

Congratulations to the players, management and staff for getting us out of a bit of a pickle.

Definitely not a season I'll remember with too much fondness, but after two wonderful seasons preceding it, we were always going to have a damp squib at some point. At least it didn't end in the disaster it threatened to at a number of times over the past few months.

What will the summer hold? Who will still be around come the start of August?

It's very possible that the following won't be here next season for various reasons:

GvK, Williamson, Agon, Tiendalli, Martin, Thomas, IBR, ASB, Mowatt, Obika, Ivo, Ledson, Hemmings, Rothwell, Kelleher, Long, Roberts, Shearer, Kane, Ricardinho, Hall, Ashby.

That could be a staggering clear out.

It would leave solid core:

Eastwood, Nelson, Dickie, Mousinho, Branaghan, Ruffles, Henry, Carroll, (Plus Stevens, Agboola, and Napa and any other youth I've forgotten) but with a lot of gaps to fill.
Mr T
Brat

Re: Thank goodness that's all over

Post by Mr T »

We need to hold on to Rothwell, Kane, Ledson and Hall, to name just 4, but certainly get rid of as much deadwood as possible. This has been the first season for years where I've only been to one game; Blackburn next Sat! Sounds like I've not missed much?
Bring back the black away shirt!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Mr T wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 pm We need to hold on to Rothwell, Kane, Ledson and Hall, to name just 4, but certainly get rid of as much deadwood as possible. This has been the first season for years where I've only been to one game; Blackburn next Sat! Sounds like I've not missed much?
Does that mean you haven’t put any money into your club this season? Just curious .... of course you may buy merchandise etc.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:30 pm
Mr T wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 pm We need to hold on to Rothwell, Kane, Ledson and Hall, to name just 4, but certainly get rid of as much deadwood as possible. This has been the first season for years where I've only been to one game; Blackburn next Sat! Sounds like I've not missed much?
Does that mean you haven’t put any money into your club this season? Just curious .... of course you may buy merchandise etc.
A rather mean-spirited way of looking at things, if you don’t mind me saying so. It’s a football club, not an insurance policy or a mobile ‘phone contract. There’s no obligation to pay in.

Indeed, I look on it as being more like the NHS - it doesn’t matter to me whether my fellow fans pay in as regularly as I do or not, and there’s no hierarchy of fandom. We’re all fans together, people will put in what they can, and we’re all welcome to share the enjoyment when we win.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Well done KR and all.

Feeling positive for next season and I trust us to sort the wheat from the chaff until harvest time around August.

An end to pointless loans, which have kept out our own young players, sounds likely.

We are due better luck with injuries next season.

COYY.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

OUFC4eva wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:30 pm
Bit harsh, he might live in Scotland!
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

I expect, and hope for, a big clear out.

Whilst we must try to hang on to Lego and Rothwell, I suspect clubs further up the ladder to wave cheque books at them.

Hall has already indicated a desire to stay, and I hope that comes true.

Ricardinho I think, and hope, will stay on reduced terms. He may be too old to find another club at this level who will pay more.

KR has hinted that Martin will stay.

Whilst I like Kane, I suspect he will want to look at Chelsea options and other higher placed clubs.

Ashby, Roberts and Long have all had multiple chances, but through injuries and/or poor performances, haven’t stepped up. Along with the rest of Dan’s list, I would like to think they will be surplus to requirements. I wouldn’t be upset to see Mousinho move on as well.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

With Mousinho, perhaps a little depends on his influence on the dressing-room. I was impressed by how he took control of the penalty on Saturday.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Old Abingdonian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 am With Mousinho, perhaps a little depends on his influence on the dressing-room. I was impressed by how he took control of the penalty on Saturday.
Given that Kane took one as well, I suspect this was more down to goal scoring bonuses, than any heroism.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:16 pm
Old Abingdonian wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 am With Mousinho, perhaps a little depends on his influence on the dressing-room. I was impressed by how he took control of the penalty on Saturday.
Given that Kane took one as well, I suspect this was more down to goal scoring bonuses, than any heroism.
If you were in charge of goal-scoring bonuses, penalties wouldn't count, eh OY? First Duffy, then Murphy, now Kane being criticised for scoring them! :lol:

I wasn't at the game, but it sounded slightly farcical on the radio, with players handing the ball to each other before Mousinho finally took control. You'd think we might have decided on penalty takers in training.

Either way I'm relieved he didn't try and take a second. I never fancy a player to score two penalties in the same game, though that's probably just from the memory of Dean Saunders in that League Cup semi against Luton...
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I'm sure Deano three times missed one when he had two penalties in a match.

I'm going to say:

Definitely:
Luton cup 1-1
Wimbledon 2-5

Maybe Bristol City 2-4?
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:05 pm
OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:16 pm
If you were in charge of goal-scoring bonuses, penalties wouldn't count, eh OY? First Duffy, then Murphy, now Kane being criticised for scoring them! :lol:

I wasn't at the game, but it sounded slightly farcical on the radio, with players handing the ball to each other before Mousinho finally took control. You'd think we might have decided on penalty takers in training.

Either way I'm relieved he didn't try and take a second. I never fancy a player to score two penalties in the same game, though that's probably just from the memory of Dean Saunders in that League Cup semi against Luton...
Harsh! Lol
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:16 pm Given that Kane took one as well, I suspect this was more down to goal scoring bonuses, than any heroism.
it looked to me that mousinho had hurt his back - he spent much of the second half stretching. i think that's why he didn't take the second.