Going Down??

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Going Down??

Post by Boogie »

Nice one OY.

I have Rochdale in the final relegation spot but with us only one point above - that is with me predicting that we beat them at home!

In that scenario, I had Bradford picking up some points against three of our rivals but with Bradford losing those three games we are in that last slot...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Massive win today. Other results mean we’re not out of the woods yet though. We need at least a draw against Dale I think, and if we only draw that then a point somewhere else as well. A win at Donny would be absolutely huge and take the pressure off a lot...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

This is going to sound odd but I'm a bit disappointed about today. Yes we were great and a much needed three points but nearly every other result went against us and we haven't pulled away from the drop zone. This was one of our more winnable games and the likes of Rochdale had tougher ones so I was hoping before today that we would pull away a little bit.

Still at least we've shown we can score and win again - massive game against Donny (sounds like we're throwing Wigan) I want to be safe before we play Rochdale - they are bang in form and I can easily see us getting nothing out of the last two games.

We needed more than 4 points from our three home games because the run in from here is tough.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I am going with being a tad frustrated about results elsewhere, rather than disappointed. We could never maintain the intensity of the opening few minutes for the whole game, but actually getting a goal in that period was massive. Eastwood also made some great saves - his form seemed to have dipped since the New Year, but he was bang on it yesterday. It was also a relief to see that despite their best efforts to get Dickie sent off, Cox and chums ultimately failed.

And I had to laugh when both sets of fans, once after the other, sang 'you don't know what you're doing' to the ref. Apparently he officiated a couple of seasons ago when we won at Birmingham in the League Cup. You would never have guessed he had that much experience from yesterday's awful showing. As for the North Stand Referee's Assistant, in the second half she missed a ball going out of play then coming back in again - much to the annoyance of the Southend goalie. I mention this only because it must be asked where she was when Lego's header was ruled not to have crossed the line.

For me the biggest match on Tuesday is Rochdale-Oldham. I think Donny are safe, but since they are at home to Bury on Tuesday, hopefully they will feel a bit relaxed on Saturday. Still - with every passing round of matches, other teams have one game fewer to gain points over us - and so long as we do not get hammered in any upcoming match, our goal difference might continue to be worth a point to us.

Check - I am disappointed. None of the goals highlights I have seen have shown the second goal starting with Ricardinho first picking up the ball - and seeing KR encourage him like his was on the run-in at Aintree as he charged down the line.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Yes, I'll go with frustrated with other scores as there was nothing we could do about them.

Dickie was immense again and was MoM for the third time in eight days (except he wasn't awarded it in any of them!) despite being on a yellow card for a long time after the ref was easily conned by Cox (again!). The officials were all inept but luckily none of their errors cost us.

And that goal by Ricardinho! Magnificent! I've never met the bloke but I absolutely know that he would be great company! Sign him on!

Still worried about where the final safety clinching points will come from and goal difference may still come into it so I really hope we don't experiment and rest players at Wigan.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Donny are at home to Bury on Tuesday.

If they win or draw they’re safe - we could then head to
The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire with a bit more
confidence provided we aren't massacred at Wigan.

U’s have never played at the Keep Moat - went to Belle Vue
which must rank as one of the worst grounds I have ever visited.
It was by the race course - no idea where the Keep Moat is.

I wonder how many grounds the U’s have played on competitively since joining
the League in 1962 ? Probably more than any other club!
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Not having been to the match Jerome & Doc Bob I have just enjoyed Ricardinho’s goal on the extended highlights in ifollow.

Smiled when I saw KR’s encouragement on Grand National day.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

It might well turn out we've got enough points to stay up already. Walsall look in a bit of trouble, no good form to speak of and 3 of their last 4 games are away from home.

Anyway, as for the game it was enjoyable. Thought our team was well organised and having Obika and Thomas up front with Henry in between worked very well. Defensively we still look likely to concede, I'm not sure why as Dickie was excellent, more so as the game went on and no-one had an obviously bad game.

Couple of concerns, I was sat near the directors box, no sign of our new owner. And at the end, what was the big team hug on the pitch all about? Good performance and everything but it gave the sense of job done, which (going against my first sentence) it might not be, but really scrabbling to stay in the league given our position at christmas is nothing to be particularly proud of. I sense there's a bit of the show-pony about Robinson, but I'll forgive him if he turns out to be any good.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Isaac wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am And at the end, what was the big team hug on the pitch all about? Good performance and everything but it gave the sense of job done, which (going against my first sentence) it might not be, but really scrabbling to stay in the league given our position at christmas is nothing to be particularly proud of. I sense there's a bit of the show-pony about Robinson, but I'll forgive him if he turns out to be any good.
I think you might just be reading too much into it. There's clearly a strong team dynamic there, and the players are probably relieved to have finally got a win for their new manager. They know that they've still got to finish the job of survival - but after two matches where we - arguably - could/should have won but didn't, they deserve to have a moment of feeling happy and proud of the result.

I think we'll still need two more points to be guaranteed. Not losing to Rochdale is vital - but if we can manage a win before then (unlikely, I know), I doubt even that would be fatal.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I maybe didn't explain myself very well - I have no problem with the players feeling pleased/relieved, but I thought the team hug *on the pitch* was the problem, they should do it in the changing rooms. It just felt a bit showy, milking the moment unnecessarily, I noticed it was led by Robinson.
Anyway, it definitely shouldn't overshadow what was a good team performance - which demonstrated the team spirit sufficiently.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Didn't they do a similar group hug after the draw the previous Saturday?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Phew, major result yesterday (and one of the tensest second halves I've ever sat through.) Bookies now have us at 33/1 against going down, though tbh if we lost at home to Rochdale, it wouldn't take *that* unlikely a set of results for us to finish 21st. A draw should be enough though.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Nah, we're safe. 53 points is more than enough - I suspect safety will be confirmed on Saturday whether we win, lose or draw against 'Dale
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Things will be a little clearer after tomorrow night, but I'd definitely like a point against Dale to feel safer. My first attempt at this predictor using pessimistic (but not completely unrealistic) results saw Fleetwood go down on 54 points! Unlikely of course, but stranger things have happened. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Gillingham went down with 52...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I would be very happy if Fleetwood go down on 54 points! If we didn't already have plenty of reasons to dislike them they've appointed Joey Barton as their manager. Not looking forward to the inevitable fiascos of next season.