Going Down??

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Going Down??

Post by OUFC4eva »

We survived relegation narrowly in 2000 by beating Scunthorpe at the Manor
in the penultimate game. I recall listening to BBC Radio Kent to hear Gillingham
beat Cardiff City which confirmed our survival.

We stayed up with FORTY FIVE points. Denis Smith came in after Mickey Lewis
was given the caretaker reins following the sacking of Mal Shotton.

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/ ... 1999-2000/
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:13 am As a matter of interest, when was the last time we were involved in relegation worries this close to the end of the season and survived? It seems like quite a novel experience! Was it that Tranmere game in 92?
Presumably the 2000/2001 season - where I think Cardiff collapsed in a heap and we just survived as a result...only then to suffer the season from hell under Kempout in 2001/2002, finishing well adrift at the bottom of the table.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am I recall listening to BBC Radio Kent to hear Gillingham beat Cardiff City which confirmed our survival.
I was reminiscing about that the other week. Like many, I think I kidded myself into thinking that we would halt the decline - whereas in fact the years ahead held two relegations and a lot of misery. A healthy reminder to not take anything for granted, even though we now have a short-term feeling of relief.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/fi ... 000-04-29/

How ‘bout this for a team!

We nearly suffered successive relegations after losing our Championship status in 1999. We survived in 2000.
We then of course suffered a further relegation in 2001 under David Kemp.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:22 am
OUFC4eva wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am I recall listening to BBC Radio Kent to hear Gillingham beat Cardiff City which confirmed our survival.
I was reminiscing about that the other week. Like many, I think I kidded myself into thinking that we would halt the decline - whereas in fact the years ahead held two relegations and a lot of misery. A healthy reminder to not take anything for granted, even though we now have a short-term feeling of relief.

Yes - BBC Radio Oxford joined up with Radio Kent that Tuesday night and we had full match commentary.

What annoyed me about 2000 was after surviving the drop, Denis Smith was asked to work with a smaller Kassam
budget but spunked it on Ian McGuckin, Lee Jarman, John Robertson, Manny Omoyinmi...

Needless to say Denis was sacked in the October of 2000-2001. Kinnear and Kemp came in.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Ian McGuckin, Lee Jarman, John Robertson, Manny Omoyinmi ... Parallels with Tiendalli, Van Kessel, Mehmeti, Piekalski ...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Werthers Original wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:39 pm Ian McGuckin, Lee Jarman, John Robertson, Manny Omoyinmi ... Parallels with Tiendalli, Van Kessel, Mehmeti, Piekalski ...
I dunno I think that first list contain some of the worst players I've seen pull on a yellow shirt who didn't come from or go onto better things. In the second list you have full internationals, ex premier league players and players who have been transferred for over a million.

The fact that none of them were fit was more the problem rather than just being rubbish at football.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Werthers Original wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:39 pm Ian McGuckin, Lee Jarman, John Robertson, Manny Omoyinmi ... Parallels with Tiendalli, Van Kessel, Mehmeti, Piekalski ...
Except that, as our back line, their shitness was rather more exposed!

Funny, I'd completely forgotten the 99/00 season. I mean, I remember some of the notable events. The glorious season-opener at The Britannia Stadium. The Friday night, pre-Christmas FA Cup 3rd round game at Forest. Matt Murphy's Sunday morning winner at Reading. Steve Anthrobus' goals (all four of them). But that we escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth - I have no recollection at all. In fact I'm sure that in my mind we had gone down two years in a row...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I also remember buying a season ticket towards the start of the 2000-2001 - the last of course at the Manor -
and being told by the guy showing me seats in the Beech Road that we had sold only 2,100 season tickets !
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

There was another season post-Tranmere that we flirted with relegation. I think it might have been 1992-93. I remember a 1-0 win at Oakwell that pretty much confirmed our survival. Looking back at the season history, we must then have finished fairly strongly as the record says we finished 14th.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

The year we stayed up at Cardiff's expense, I think it's the fewest points a team has ever stayed up with.

Another interesting fact:

We drew 1-all with Cardiff at Ninian Park, and none other than Matt Murphy scored possibly the greatest goal anyone never remembers, infinitely better than the wonder strike at Reading.

If you imagine Ronaldo's scissor kick a few weeks ago, and make it on the edge of the area, and even more cleanly hit, then you have Matt Murphy's goal. I remember a look of sheer amazement on everyone's face for at least 15 minutes after.

It was also, ultimately, that point that kept us above Cardiff. The Murphy Paradox...he made our midfield weak and overrun but I think he got 17 goals that season including a few beauties.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

"Steve Anthrobus' goals (all four of them)."

Incorrect.

Despite promising 20, the Bus got two goals. And two the next season.

My favourite YF cover joke:

Steve Anthrobus blames Oxford Mail typo for unrealistic fan expectations.

"I will score 20 goals for Us this season"
"I will score 2.0 goals for Us this season"

It was funny at the time.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

YF Dan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 pm "Steve Anthrobus' goals (all four of them)."

Incorrect.

Despite promising 20, the Bus got two goals. And two the next season.
More proof that I’ve conflated those two years in my mind into one long relegation season. Did we really have to put up with two seasons of Anthrobus? Good grief.
YF Dan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 pm It was funny at the time.
If you say so...
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

YF Dan wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30 pm More proof he could score:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shro ... 472187.stm
Yeah, but only away from home.