Going Down??

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Re: Going Down??

Post by OtmoorYellow »

YF Dan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm The Murphy Paradox...he made our midfield weak and overrun but I think he got 17 goals that season including a few beauties.
I recall about 12 of those were penalties though. He didn't score many from open play.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:27 am
YF Dan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:26 pm The Murphy Paradox...he made our midfield weak and overrun but I think he got 17 goals that season including a few beauties.

I recall about 12 of those were penalties though. He didn't score many from open play.
Don't knock that, look at our recent record.........bring back Rob Duffy!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I remember Paul Powell being on penalties that year, on his way to 13 goals from left back.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Back to the 'Bus. I saw three of his four goals (Stoke, Brentford, Northampton), plus one in pre-season (Blythe). Anyone see all four (I missed Burnley away).
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

YF Dan wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:27 pm Back to the 'Bus. I saw three of his four goals (Stoke, Brentford, Northampton), plus one in pre-season (Blythe). Anyone see all four (I missed Burnley away).
Me!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Werthers Original wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:02 pm I dont really, I’m not keen on Wimbledon, the hipster hoofers!
It's more that it would be very apt that those who tried to get ahead by stealing a football club ended up a division below those who reformed that club from nothing. Whether one likes the way AFC Wimbledon play has little to do with it.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Jimski wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:09 am
Werthers Original wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:02 pm I dont really, I’m not keen on Wimbledon, the hipster hoofers!
It's more that it would be very apt that those who tried to get ahead by stealing a football club ended up a division below those who reformed that club from nothing. Whether one likes the way AFC Wimbledon play has little to do with it.
Quite. The justification for setting up Franchise was that It wasn’t financially viable to keep a side going in south London, away from Wimbledon, on small crowds and they weren’t going to be able to return to the borough. Well, guess what - AFCW have not just sustained a side at the same level as the old club, they’ve done so having risen through the pyramid AND they’ll be moving to a new stadium in the borough soon as well. All whilst Franchise disappear from the third tier and hopefully existence, perhaps offering their scab fans a chance to reform their own team in the non-league. Seeing as how they’re all such massive fans of the game, they won’t mind playing parks football for a few years, and doing so might mean they grudgingly earn the respect of the wider football community.

One doesn’t have to like AFCW’s brand of football or their treatment of Kingstonian to enjoy that delicious irony.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

OUFC4eva wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 am A point versus ‘Dale and we’re guaranteed safety.

I am pleased that we go into the game where we have to be proactive - we must not sit back. Let’s have a go at them.
Job done, and with a bit of style too. Decent chance of a solid mid-table finish when all the shouting's done.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

It's great to see the 'Team that wouldn't die' replacing the 'Team that shouldn't be'! Looking forward to returning to the Wham Stadium next year
Bring back the black away shirt!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 am
Quite. The justification for setting up Franchise was that It wasn’t financially viable to keep a side going in south London, away from Wimbledon, on small crowds and they weren’t going to be able to return to the borough. Well, guess what - AFCW have not just sustained a side at the same level as the old club, they’ve done so having risen through the pyramid AND they’ll be moving to a new stadium in the borough soon as well. All whilst Franchise disappear from the third tier and hopefully existence, perhaps offering their scab fans a chance to reform their own team in the non-league. Seeing as how they’re all such massive fans of the game, they won’t mind playing parks football for a few years, and doing so might mean they grudgingly earn the respect of the wider football community.

One doesn’t have to like AFCW’s brand of football or their treatment of Kingstonian to enjoy that delicious irony.
Nicely put on twitter here.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:30 am

Kingstonian were saved from financial oblivion by AFCW. And then were given the chance to continue playing at Kingsmeadow for a peppercorn rent.

And if that weren't enough, Kingstonian have been given £1m of the sale proceeds of Kingsmeadow to find a new home.

Whilst the Ks did have a stadium, without AFCW they would have lost it, and their club, through bankruptcy. Thanks to AFCW, they continued to play at Kingsmeadow virtually for free until last season, and now have £1m in the bank.

To suggest the Ks have been poorly treated by AFCW is I'm afraid stated without being in receipt of the facts.

And I too am delighted that AFCW will start next season a division higher than the faux football club, and with a new stadium at their traditional home in a couple of seasons. With any luck, we will now see MK slide into oblivion and the football world will have been righted.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Perhaps AFC Wimbledon will finally grow up instead of acting like a primary school child, and put MK's name etc in match programmes.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm Nicely put on twitter here.
That is a fake twitter account (or rather just a fan one, presumably). The real AFC Wimbledon one is here - and unsurprisingly uses their proper name in the twitter handle.

People using that post as a stick to beat AFCW with (and there's plenty of them in the Other Place) should learn how to use social media.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, I didn't think to imply it was the official site. A Wimbledon fan friend of mine linked to it on facebook, and I thought it was nicely put.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Otmoor Yellow - just to be clear, I take basically the same view as you over Wimbledon and Kingstonian. However, there are two sides to every argument and the fate of the K’s has been used as a stick with which to beat AFCW. My point is that whatever your view of that (or Ardley’s hoofball tactics), it shouldn’t stop us all enjoying seeing Franchise’s demise and recognising how AFCW have shown that it’s possible to build up a club the hard way.