Who do you want next?

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Who do you want next?

Post by OUFC4eva »

A big NO for Steve McClaren, Dean Saunders, Paul Simpson, Chris Allen and Brian McDermott.

IT NEVER WORKS !
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Thanks goodness the fans haven't got any input to this. Listening to a RadOx phone-in at the moment and apart from the standard Appleton/Lampard/Cowley/Grayson we've heard nominations for Jim Smith, Dean Saunders, Gareth Ainsworth and Kevin Wilkin (Brackley Town)!
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

As Lampard seems to be the favourite, at the moment, I was wondering what his coaching qualifications are? I've done a cursory check and find mention that he started doing his badges (if they're still called that?!) last year, but can find no indication of how far he's got ..... or indeed how far he's got to go. Can anyone shine a light on this?

For what it's worth....... I don't think he's the man. Not enough experience and too much hype attached.

I've no idea who it should be mind you!

I'm hoping we pull another rabbit out of Daryl's hat.

But I understand that it can go either way if we do........
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

On the Radio Oxford special programme last night (which was excellent - and not just for the comedy value of hearing Dean Saunders and Jim Smith being suggested), there was a lot of support for Simon Grayson. Someone who's won promotion from this division four times and is available. Interesting that Nick Harris was fairly open about thinking he would be a much safer bet than Lampard.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I seem to recall Clotet being regarded as one of the country's "most promising coaches" too - not sure we're looking for a "coach" - we're looking for a manager.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/5th-feb ... united-job

Craig Bellamy coming up on the rails?? Gone from nowhere in the betting to short odds second favourite.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Whilst we've all been frothing at the mouth with speculation (Lampard, Grayson, Unsworth, Bellamy) Eales has finally broken in silence in today's Oxford Fail, saying he's in no great rush to appoint and that he's happy with Faz being in charge for the time being.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am Whilst we've all been frothing at the mouth with speculation (Lampard, Grayson, Unsworth, Bellamy) Eales has finally broken in silence in today's Oxford Fail, saying he's in no great rush to appoint and that he's happy with Faz being in charge for the time being.
That probably means an new manager being announced tomorrow then
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

SmileyMan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:20 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am Whilst we've all been frothing at the mouth with speculation (Lampard, Grayson, Unsworth, Bellamy) Eales has finally broken in silence in today's Oxford Fail, saying he's in no great rush to appoint and that he's happy with Faz being in charge for the time being.
That probably means an new manager being announced tomorrow then
Well - there is an announcement...David Unsworth will NOT be our next manager. Presumably the odds on Bellamy will shorten still further.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Surely Craig Bellamy is a complete twat? Or am I missing something?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

The circus continues, with Sol Campbell now emerging as a candidate. God help us, this is becoming a right old farce. I'm praying that common sense kicks in, Eales realises that the only people showing an interest lack the necessary experience, and he lets Faz and Chrissy Allen crack on until May, at which point we review the situation.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I'm not sure that this is actually farcical, or whether, like the transfer window, this simply reflects the media spotlight. Eales taking his time is no bad thing. I would imagine negotiations are tricky, because there would be, I presume, a different offer for each 'candidate'. The board may wish to know the terms on which each candidate would take the post before deciding on which is the best.

Then, of course, the potential candidates or their agents will want it known that they have been approached, to boost their profiles. The board's links with Sky may not help. I find Eales's slap-down of Unsworth convincing - Unsworth was approached, did not want the post on the terms we were considering, and then claimed he 'rejected the job offer'. In fact, he effectively did not want to be considered, which is a different thing.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Old Abingdonian wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 am The board's links with Sky may not help.
I agree with most of your analysis - but, like you, this is the point that irritates me. Seeing Bellamy and now Campbell sitting with their mates on a S*y Sports sofa openly discussing (or, more accurately, coyly refusing to discuss, with a matey nudge-nudge-wink-wink that suggests they're interested) the Oxford United manager job undermines Eales' approach. Quite rightly, he wants the process to be conducted in private, and yet some of the candidates are going on telly at the same time. In all probability, the board's links with S*y are undermining that same board's intentions to carry out a thorough recruitment process.
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Sol Campbell? Didn't he think he was going to be the next (Conservative) Mayor of London? Let's hope he concentrates on that!

When are Tony Adams and Paul Merson going to feature?