Who do you want next?

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Who do you want next?

Post by YF Dan »

We will never know whether Pep would have kept us up or taken us down. But I've been pretty consistent all season in saying we were in trouble. There was so little fight in the squad in matches where it mattered, or when the opposition set us to get in our faces. Once we got rumbled, we were always going to start sinking.

Yes, he had a difficult situation. And bad luck with injuries. Curtis Nelson was a hammer blow. Yet, who had we signed as back ups, in case our only defender with pace got injured? Williamson. Mousinho. Tiendalli. But I'd bet you he spent a fair amount more than most other managers have done in a similar period in this division. And what do we have to show for it? Crocks.

None of his signings, so far, have looked like being any cop, perhaps excusing Brannagan and Dickie who haven't had a chance to establish themselves yet. For a sizeable outlay in coin, that's a really poor return.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Honourable mention to Ricardinho who has great moments. If you look up people like Agon and Dwight in Wiki you can just tell they were going to be bad, they’ve hardly ever played more than 20 games in a season.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I like Rici but he can't defend.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Perhaps another way of looking at it is that despite having a team of duffers and injury prone players Pep got us playing some sublime stuff at times and we were always in touch with the play offs - much better than Apps first season in charge in a lower league. I very much doubt any of his signings were on big money and we certainly didn't pay a fee for them. Most were signed as squad players - Ribs was first choice right back, Wes and Obika were first choice strikers. Ivo and Riccy were probably the only players who would have been a regular - we were unlucky with Ivo and Riccy has done ok in his first season in English football especially with the ever changing back 4 we've had. We also lost our best player in Jan and didn't replace him.

I've heard it claimed that we had a top 3 budget. This is clearly b0llocks. Wigan and Blackburn have a championship squad, Bury outbid us for Mags and Fleetwood for Conner. Pep left us exactly where I thought we should be for a new manager and new squad - upper to mid table. To get rid of him was insanity and this has been shown to be proven as we are now in a relegation battle and out the Tinpot trophy. If he had stayed we could have been a couple of points from the play offs and having another trip to Wembley (don't laugh Mr Gumpy YF Dan).

Eales clearly stopped investing in the summer. We sold £4m worth of players and didn't spend any of that on transfer fees. Apps said he would stay provided the clubs ambition matched his own. It clearly no longer did. I don't blame Eales - he turned the club round, got us promoted and if he wants to sell up than fair enough - but lets not pretend he has been stumping up the funds this year.

Moving forward, there are obviously concerns about Tiger (come on Myles spill the beans) but I do think he should get a chance. People ask quite reasonably why someone from Thailand wants to invest in Oxford. Is this any different from asking why a Birmingham fan (and I think Eales will take them over hence the reduction below 10%) wants to invest in Oxford. The answer is the same - to make money. To do that he needs to invest to get us promoted. the next manager will be a good indication of his ambition.

I would be very happy with one of the best managers in the world of the last couple of decades pitching up at our club. Much rather Sven than someone who "knows the league" like Phil Brown or "a good young prospect" like Bellamy. I read "know the league" as "not good enough to manage at a higher level" and "a good young prospect" as "no managerial experience whatsoever". The likes of Sven wouldn't be interested unless significant money was available. And yes it may turn out to be Notts County, but who knows maybe it will turn out to be like Leicester where Sven (alongside Faz) put in place the foundations for Leicesters rise up the leagues.

What does need to happen though is for the fans to come together and get behind a team that is low on confidence and needing support - massive game on Sat.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Is this Wow or WTF?
http://www.thesackrace.com/news/15th-ma ... nited-link

When he was at Notts County and got caught up in the Munto Finance debacle he was, IMHO, the only person to maintain his dignity and come out with his reputation intact.
LowerSouth
Sperm

Post by LowerSouth »

Tiger implied when he took over that, although ambitious, League One status was not essential
Presumably whoever the "Wow" is (or are) they cannot guarantee that we stay in League One.
They are therefore not likelely to find themselves unemployed after 10 games.
I only hope that this is not a vanity project and that any discussions that have obviuosly taken place, allow for the worst initial scenario of going down and include a firm committment from the chairman of time and money to build again.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

LowerSouth wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm Tiger implied when he took over that, although ambitious, League One status was not essential
He did what now? When was this? The only time I've heard Tiger entertain the possibility that we might not be in L1 next season was when he said a new manager could win 10 games in a row and get us in the playoffs!
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 am
I would love to know what Myles has found out so far. (Please pm me Myles if you read this).
Have tried to PM you, but message just sits in my outbox for some reason...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So Robinson or Eriksson. Which do we want? Got to be close now surely. Or will it be someone else entirely? I don't see why we'd have had to wait for Sven, unless he's investing too and the deal is taking a while to tie up. And Robinson can't possibly be described as having a 'wow factor'.

Also, what a strange co-incidence that the first two games of the new regime will be live on Sky (assuming we do make an appointment before Sunday).

Wasn't Waddock's first game in charge live on Sky too? :shock:
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:11 pm And Robinson can't possibly be described as having a 'wow factor'.
Taking Tiger at his word, this is the thing that has thrown me. Robinson's odds are extremely short, and he is not a bad manager, but 'wow'? Robinson has reportedly offered to resign twice in the last week, but has been turned down both times. Seems an odd thing to do - especially as, if he is the one we are to appoint, we would surely have had to have permission from Charlton to make an approach, let alone an offer, well before negotiations began. It just doesn't quite add up.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Come 2 further days Tiger will have owned United for a month
yet the guy seems unable to appoint a manager! It’s singularly the most
important decision an owner can make so it’s important not to rush
but given his takeover took five months you would have thought
a managerial appointment would be done and dusted by now.

I am very concerned.And agree that Robinson looks a red herring.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

It’ll be Robinson.

Sven’s agent is called Athole Still... ha ha.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

There seems to be a bit of a standoff like when Wilder went to Northampton.
Robinson wants to resign at Charlton, but the owner presumably wants compensation so won't let him. Meanwhile an Australian group looking to takeover Charlton wants to appoint Harry Kewell.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Robinson would definitely not have a "wow" factor, not even close. More of an "oh" factor.

The only wow at the moment is the ridiculous length of time to appoint a manager.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 pm The only wow at the moment is the ridiculous length of time to appoint a manager.
It's not an auspicious start to the new regime is it? There was supposed to a new manager in place 'within a couple of days' of the farcical press conference. Then within a week or so. Now a month has gone by since the takeover, and two full months since Clotet was sacked.

What worries me more is Tiger's absenteeism. Why doesn't he just stay in Oxford for a couple of weeks to get things sorted out? Why does he have to go back to Thailand every single week? He wasn't even present for the first home game under his stewardship, which was billed as the 'new era'. How dedicated is he to this project?

And then there's the winding-up petition. Nothing to see here!

As to potential managers, I see Jaap Stam's been sacked by Reading today. Tiger was very proud of how he recruited Stam there, remember! If we end up with him, you can only conclude that other targets have fallen through/failed to agree terms. I suspect there's been a fair amount of that all along...