Rovers Return

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Rovers Return

Post by ty cobb »

I would imagine Pep agrees that Martin isn't good enough which is why he is 5th choice centre back - what was Apps thinking letting Wright go for him.

Our consistently inconsistent strikes again. There is clearly something about this team being the (joint) top scorers in the division. But we are shocking at the back. However, I believe this is largely due to the injury situation. 3 centre backs on long term injuries. One RB retired (gutted for Ribs but over two seasons he has managed 17 games for us - not a good return), the other one injured for much the season. This has meant a very unsettled back four which is on top of most the current lot having been signed either at the start of the season or after. Given this I am amazed that we would now be above Blackburn had we beaten them given how good they are.

So unlike some of our fans I would cut Pep some slack, he is doing a decent job and at times we play some excellent stuff although this also sometimes results in tippy tappy stuff.

All that said I would take a mid table finish at the moment - a couple more injuries, to Thomas, Payne or Mousinho and we would be in deep trouble.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

ty cobb wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:54 pm I would imagine Pep agrees that Martin isn't good enough which is why he is 5th choice centre back - what was Apps thinking letting Wright go for him.
Quite. I'd seriously like to see us bring Fiacre Kelleher back from loan or give Canice Carroll a run at centre back rather than persist with Martin. Those two are the future of the club and deserve a chance.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I would agree with this. It gives me no pleasure to write Martin (or anyone else) off, but surely his confidence must now be shot to bits, and his colleagues will be loathe to trust him with the ball. This matters, when we have a play-it-out-from-the-back style.

I agree also about further injuries - esp. to the players Ty mentions. An injury to Ricardinho wouldn't be too clever, either.