Eastenders

Anything yellow and blue
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Eastenders

Post by OtmoorYellow »

Good game to watch for the neutral last night. Plenty of high quality football from both sides.

Charlton started each half much better than us, and we ended each half much better than them.

Their strike force was woeful though and had they put away their chances, they could have been out of sight well before half time.

A bit too much fannying around in central midfield from Ruffs and Lego, taking an age to move the ball on, and with Charlton pressing early on, and Eastwood seemingly desperate to kick long very quickly to no one in particular, the ball kept coming back. Wes on his own up front had another very good game, but punting it long to him up against a man mountain centre back was never going to work.

It is really good to see Wes coming good. I've been (justifiably imho) critical of him in the past, but now he fully deserves the plaudits. He is making excellent runs and if our back line and Lego lifted their head occasionally they would see some supreme chances to get Wes in round the back.

Jack Payne too was exceptional and James Henry provided many attacking options.

Having gone one down, I was happy with the result and left feeling pretty upbeat. Charlton are a decent side creatively, and difficult to break down at the back, but their strikers missed chance after chance.

With a bit of luck, one day soon we'll get a decent ref who deals with the opponents who persistently use the dark arts to gain advantage. Thomas in particular must have left the field feeling as if he'd just played a match in the 6 Nations, rather than a football match.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Eastenders

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OtmoorYellow wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am It is really good to see Wes coming good. I've been (justifiably imho) critical of him in the past, but now he fully deserves the plaudits. He is making excellent runs and if our back line and Lego lifted their head occasionally they would see some supreme chances to get Wes in round the back.
I agree. He's clearly always had a strong ability to be a bloody nuisance and get goals, but he's now performing consistently well. I doubt we'll ever know the details, but there were indications that Pep was unhappy with his application earlier in the season, and events since then suggest that Wes has responded positively. That bodes well as an indication of Pep's man management abilities.