Hemmings

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Hemmings

Post by recordmeister »

Anyone know why Hemmings was an unused sun yesterday?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Hemmings

Post by Jimski »

He had been nursing a tight quad, apparently. (https://twitter.com/OUFCOfficial/status ... 8068426752)
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder if he maybe in line for a move.

Mansfield have got a bid in for a striker?

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2017 ... -alfreton/
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Evans is pursuing a League One striker - could be Michael Smith
of Portsmouth.

http://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =8&t=31859
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Confirmed that he's gone to Mansfield on loan for the season, but we have the option to recall him in January. One assumes we'll be bringing someone else in imminently.

I was very surprised by this. I genuinely thought this'd be the season when he'd really show us what he can do.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

TBH I'm glad, I thought he was pretty hopeless although he did show occasional flashes of alertness. Hopefully it means we've identified someone better who is on their way in.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Is there a chance of getting Oliver McBurnie out of Swansea City - my number one choice.
The boy has got everything.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I'm assuming we've let him go knowing that Johnson is off (with a fee agreed) and that we're using some of that cash/saved wages to bring someone better in. I don't see why else we wouldn't keep him as cover. Having said that, our new system seems to only involve one real front man, so maybe we don't need three of them...
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

I thought hemmings got a bit of a rough ride off oxford supporters. his positioning was always his strong point but that meant his goals were never spectacular.

I never quite saw how he fitted into appleton's squad, and I'm not sure I see how he fits into what I've seen and read of clotet's, but despite that he has an okay scoring record. so his departure makes more sense to me than his signing.

I suspect he will flourish in a team that gets crosses in to the box more frequently and plays two up front, and I think he has a value as a player. I wonder if we'll get that from any sale: I hope so, but fear it might have been a misjudged signing that we'll end up losing out on.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

An expensive mistake.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Ah, the old 'Oxford United sign one of the Scottish leagues top scorer, but fails to make his mark at the club' stories again...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Actually when we spend a lot of money on a Scottish striker it usually works out well (except when we can't afford to pay for him).

The recruitment department have done very well, but Hemmings was an expensive mistake which is why he is now playing for Mansfield.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Andy Thomson and Derrek Lilly suggest otherwise...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I loved Andy Thomson. Almost a great striker, but in fact couldn't hit the proverbial bear's arse when with us. Went off and did well elsewhere.

So are we not getting another striker in? If Thomas or Obika are injured it's James Roberts up front?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Werthers Original wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am So are we not getting another striker in? If Thomas or Obika are injured it's James Roberts up front?
It would have to be Obika AND Thomas injured, as we only play one up front. Though I guess you need someone to come off the bench.

What if Payne gets injured/suspended? I guess GVK or Hall could fill in there, but that leaves us short of wide options.

It all seems a bit tight to me. Are we looking to use the loan market once the transfer window has shut? Or is Pep basically inviting potential targets to reduce their demands?

Either way it makes a change from MApp's frequent promises of '2 or 3 through the door next week'...