Spotafan Trophy / #BTeamBoycott

Anything yellow and blue
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Spotafan Trophy / #BTeamBoycott

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Thread renamed so it can be an all-purpose affair until this godforsaken format is dropped...

Completely agree with Dr Bob's assessment of Hanson's situation. "Schrödinger's Ban" - he's simultaneously not banned from the competition, but not able to play either? Bizarre.

Anyway, I shan't be at tonight's SpotAScab Trophy game, or any others this season. But if we have to put a side out, I hope Lopes gets a chance to impress. Baptiste has taken his opportunity this season, and it'd be great to see a few more youngsters showing that they can take the step up (however small the step from U23s to this ruddy competition might be).
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

So Hanson is banned yet the match doesn't count as one of his three yet he's not allowed to play BUT Robinson gets to serve one of his two matches' ban tonight - you couldn't make it up - tin pot competition.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

So, a relatively easy win against a B Team. But it was more about a night of setting some records - or was it?

Despite having two 16-year-olds on the pitch at the end (Lopes and Spasov), neither was as young as Jason Seacole when he made his debut; and despite Spasov's goal, he wasn't as young as Graeme Atkinson when he first scored (I'm afraid that, despite the Oxford Fail's hair-splitting, I consider Atkinson to be the youngest ever scorer for Us, even if we were Headington rather than Oxford United at the time). And besides, the devalued nature of this competition makes me question whether it should really count towards the record books anyway. We also set the club's third-lowest ever attendance, further emphasising the extent to which fans are not engaging with the competition. To be honest, I'm amazed over a thousand scabs were prepared to part with their hard-earned cash.

But let's be positive. We clearly have some good young players coming through in Baptiste, Lopes and Spasov, and that's before mentioning the others in the U23s who are tipped for good things. Indeed, I was a bit surprised none of our young keepers got the nod last night. Perhaps losing out on some of KR's targets might end up being a blessing if it means these lads get a look-in and a chance to prove themselves in Div 3 before the season's out?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 am So, a relatively easy win against a B Team. But it was more about a night of setting some records - or was it?

Despite having two 16-year-olds on the pitch at the end (Lopes and Spasov), neither was as young as Jason Seacole when he made his debut; and despite Spasov's goal, he wasn't as young as Graeme Atkinson when he first scored (I'm afraid that, despite the Oxford Fail's hair-splitting, I consider Atkinson to be the youngest ever scorer for Us, even if we were Headington rather than Oxford United at the time). And besides, the devalued nature of this competition makes me question whether it should really count towards the record books anyway. We also set the club's third-lowest ever attendance, further emphasising the extent to which fans are not engaging with the competition. To be honest, I'm amazed over a thousand scabs were prepared to part with their hard-earned cash.

But let's be positive. We clearly have some good young players coming through in Baptiste, Lopes and Spasov, and that's before mentioning the others in the U23s who are tipped for good things. Indeed, I was a bit surprised none of our young keepers got the nod last night. Perhaps losing out on some of KR's targets might end up being a blessing if it means these lads get a look-in and a chance to prove themselves in Div 3 before the season's out?
These games are not deemed to be first team fixtures mainly so that the Premiership kids can't claim their extra £20k for a first team appearance. It's also important because it maintains our 7 in a row status over the Scummers.

Bit harsh to call those who attended 'scabs' - this isn't an 80s mining community where livelihoods are at risk......not that I'm condoning the competition mind.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Not sure where else to put it, but an interesting article here about the use of loan players in the lower leagues and how much they are controlled by the parent club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... loan-deals
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So we've been dumped out of this season's version somewhat unceremoniously. Can't say I'm too disappointed - in fact I was starting to get worried that I was going to have to take the kids to Wembley again!

But why on earth were we playing such a strong team when we're so light on bodies? Specifically, why was Eastwood risked when he's carrying an injury? If we don't trust ANY of our reserve keepers to play these fifth-rate fixtures, why have we got so bloody many on the wage bill?! And how are players like Long and Garbutt - not to mention Sykes - going to get up to speed if we don't give them significant minutes in games like this? Did the lure of another meaningless but lucrative final prove too much for Tiger and the team?

Robinson's promise that the players will refund entry to OUFC fans is vaguely amusing - did the players actually agree to do this? I doubt Robbo can make them! Anyway, where's my refund for Barnsley and Plymouth? Those were truly abject performances.

As for sending the players out to do extra running on the pitch after the game as punishment - words fail me.
OtmoorYellow
Puberty

Post by OtmoorYellow »

How much is £10 x 101 supporters, divided by 14 players? Its a gesture only and I doubt it would have been offered had we been trounced in the same way at home in front of 10,000 supporters.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

For me, the most baffling of all the events of last night was what happened after the game.

KR has spent months complaining about having an injury-ravaged, fatigued squad - only to then send those same players out to run at 10pm on a snow-covered pitch as a punishment for losing.

I’m starting to get an inkling as to why we’ve got so many injuries in the first place...