The Runners and Riders...

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

The Runners and Riders...

Post by OUFC4eva »

Michael Appleton has now left the building (can't believe I've just written that)
but we move on.

My choice would be a young, hungry, canny, ambitious coach who knows a player, has good links
with clubs and is well connected. I Don't want a has been manager out for his next pay day.

Who would fit the bill? Can we unearth another Michael Appleton from within an academy for example?

If not - I have to say that Paul Tisdale ticks many, many boxes. Still only 44, knows the game, great contacts,
plays decent football, develops young players (Wheeler, Moore-Taylor, Grimes, Watkins, Ampadu et al)
and a new challenge may be welcomed. He's been at Exeter for 11 years and is on some strange type of contract.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38017590

If not Appleton Mark 2, or Tisdale, I would not be averse to Steve Cotterill who is proven but I believe he wants
a Championship job asap. I am Not interested in Adkins, McLeish, Di Canio, Adams, Lambert,
Sherwood, Coyle, Jewell etc).
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re: The Runners and Riders...

Post by Shoobedoo »

Not sure how realistic it is, but I'd love to see Paul Simpson back at Oxford. Having just won the U20 world cup for England it's clear he has a knack of getting the best out of youngsters so he'd be a good fit for our model. I concede his previous league management record is patchy but so was Mapp's...

Others I would consider - Alex Neil, who worked wonders at the Accies and got Naaaaarch into the Premier League; Nigel Adkins, purely for his experience (successful) at this level; and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, as long as it's the Burton version and not the QPR one.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes Adkins might be OK or the hard Scot Alex Neil. More likely to be someone no one expects, asst manager from Accrington or somewhere
Deadly
Embryo

Post by Deadly »

I'd rather the club looked outside the box and went for someone like David Unsworth (currently doing very well as manager of Everton under-23s). We've made good use of some of the youngsters he has been coaching, so why not try and make good use of the man responsible for bringing these players to a standard that caught our recruitment team's attention?

Would he want the job? That would all depend on his aspirations and ambitions. I would have thought coming to a progressive club like Oxford and carrying on the good work done by Appleton would have a certain appeal. He would have seen what the club has done for Appleton's career, so he may be tempted. All depends on what package the club could offer him or someone like him...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

First choice should be Paul Tisdale.

Second choice should be Paul Tisdale.

Third choice should be Paul Tisdale.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

GY - what convinces you that Tisdale is the stand-out candidate? I'd be happy enough with him, and his Exeter sides have been easy on the eye over the years, but I'd be interested to know what's made you so definite about him. IIRC, he was on the shortlist with Waddock but didn't get offered the job because his references came back suggesting he wasn't quite as good as he made himself out to be.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

His achievements with a very low budget with Exeter have been impressive. He knows the League like the back of his hand. His sides play good football, and he has on several occasions produced teams that have outplayed us with our rather larger playing budget.

He's been at Exeter for a long time, suggesting they like him quite a lot.

My recollection was that he turned OUFC down, not the other way around.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm His achievements with a very low budget with Exeter have been impressive. He knows the League like the back of his hand. His sides play good football, and he has on several occasions produced teams that have outplayed us with our rather larger playing budget.

More importantly he wears a smashing cravat so would enjoy the shopping on Turl Street
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:08 pm His achievements with a very low budget with Exeter have been impressive. He knows the League like the back of his hand. His sides play good football, and he has on several occasions produced teams that have outplayed us with our rather larger playing budget.

I think opinion is more nuanced amongst their fans than you've suggested (and probably more than is fair given what he's done on a small budget), but other than that I agree that he'd be a good choice. I saw Exeter play in April and they had a young side playing expansive, attacking football. A good fit.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

I like the idea od David Unsworth, but like MApp, he probably has a home in the North West, so commuting to Oxford would be a downer.

Can't believe that diCanio has even been considered!

I agree with Paul Simpson, for his Oxford connection, as well as his proven record with youngsters.

What about Brian McDermott?
Bring back the black away shirt!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

I really admire Paul Tisdale and Exeter, and it's tempting to believe that he could do really well with a bigger budget, but he might be one of those managers that only really does well with one club, where he's set everything up himself and built an organization that can't be replicated elsewhere.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Hmm, I've seen Tisdale's Exeter side be pushovers on several occasions - and that's just against Us!

Boxing Day 2012 we won comfortably at SJP under Wilder, and I couldn't believe they kept playing everything out from the back every time, even at 3-0 down, despite the fact that we kept dispossessing them before they got over the halfway line on each occasion.

And of course the 4-1 win at their place in our promotion season, when they allowed us free headers from every corner and looked one of the poorest teams I've seen since we were back in the league. Tisdale was celebrating 10 years in charge that night (or 500 games or something), and their crowd was chanting for him to be sacked for most of the game.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Are Oxvox negotiating with any candidates?
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Kernow Yellow wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:26 pm Hmm, I've seen Tisdale's Exeter side be pushovers on several occasions - and that's just against Us!

Boxing Day 2012 we won comfortably at SJP under Wilder, and I couldn't believe they kept playing everything out from the back every time, even at 3-0 down, despite the fact that we kept dispossessing them before they got over the halfway line on each occasion.

And of course the 4-1 win at their place in our promotion season, when they allowed us free headers from every corner and looked one of the poorest teams I've seen since we were back in the league. Tisdale was celebrating 10 years in charge that night (or 500 games or something), and their crowd was chanting for him to be sacked for most of the game.
Yes, a 'nice team'. We can be a bit like that. I'm rather hoping we'll get a big brute up front and a canny old guy in midfield now!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink an early favourite with the bookies, it seems. Won the fourth division title with Burton, and took them to the top of our division. Did a bit more averagely at QPR. I can't remember what kind of football his teams played.