New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Deadly
Embryo

Re: New signings

Post by Deadly »

McAleny did not want to leave his native north west. He lives in Southport, he doesn't have to buy/rent expensive accommodation in Oxfordshire. The commute to Fleetwood from Southport is a hell of a lot easier than it is to Oxford. If anything, blame the M6.

This had nothing to do with MApp's departure & everything to do with a young player wanting to stay close to home.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Three scholars sign pro deals: Manny Agboola (goalie), Malachi Napa (winger) and Shandon Baptiste (midfielder). Hope they get a fair crack of the whip and not just a substitute runout in the Spotafan Trophy.

I wonder how soon we can expect some 'proper' signings now the new management team is in place? I guess targets have been identified already, in the hope that they can link up with the existing squad after the Portugal tour.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:03 pm Three scholars sign pro deals: Manny Agboola (goalie), Malachi Napa (winger) and Shandon Baptiste (midfielder). Hope they get a fair crack of the whip and not just a substitute runout in the Spotafan Trophy.

I wonder how soon we can expect some 'proper' signings now the new management team is in place? I guess targets have been identified already, in the hope that they can link up with the existing squad after the Portugal tour.
These were announced just after the end of the season. The story is a repeat, presumably as a filler.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

If we're being pedantic, they were OFFERED deals earlier in the summer, and this story confirms they've now SIGNED those deals. Agreed though, it would barely be worth a mention if we'd made the "proper" signings we'd have expected in the normal run of events.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yay, a big, mean-looking striker! Νo more tippy-tappy!!

https://www.oufc.co.uk/…/july/jon-obika ... d-united/
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Werthers Original wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:08 pm Yay, a big, mean-looking striker! Νo more tippy-tappy!!

https://www.oufc.co.uk/…/july/jon-obika ... d-united/
The cynic in me wonders if the "Pep knows all about the Slumdon rivalry" article pre-cursored this announcement to keep a lid on any backlash from those who have an inbuilt hatred of ex-Slumdon players.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Am hoping he gets the number 7 shirt.

If you can bear to watch the scummers he has some good highlights on you tube - good shot on him and some fancy tricks, good turn of pace as well.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:15 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:03 pm Three scholars sign pro deals: Manny Agboola (goalie), Malachi Napa (winger) and Shandon Baptiste (midfielder). Hope they get a fair crack of the whip and not just a substitute runout in the Spotafan Trophy.

These were announced just after the end of the season. The story is a repeat, presumably as a filler.
They do this every season - announce which scholars have been offered pro deals at the end of the season, then release another article pre-season once all of them actually sign the deals offered.
I think the signing of Shearer was to allow both Agboola and Jack Stephens to go on a long term loan somewhere to get game time, rather than sharing the bench as they did last season.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Former Wolves loanee Jordan Graham linked with a loan move to Rochdale.

Sign him on Oxford FFS

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... july-11th/
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

James Henry signs from Wolves. Looks a decent move for us, on paper - he's won several promotions from this league, has bags of experience and brings a bit of creativity which could be vital if we lose Maguire.

EDIT: Just realised that he's signed a three-year deal, which is quite a statement in itself. Can't remember the last time we signed anyone for that length of time.

Now to sort out our lack of full-backs.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I've heard that a left back is due to come in from a Premier League club.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

A THREE YEAR DEAL. I'm astonished by this. He must be the most secure player we have, in terms of contract length. I mean, I'm not a supporter of the gig economy, but a shorter-term deal tends to motivate players to want to either retain their contract with the club, or move on a better deal elsewhere. Three year deals should kept for the likes of COD, who are a genuine asset and we know will be sold on. I'm not sure the same can be said for a player who is 28 years old, and will be 30 at least if we decide to sell him on elsewhere. Oh, and he's clearly a v good L1 player, but has't been able to break into a Champ side. So if we are do achieve our aim of becoming a Champ side in the next two seasons, we'll most likely let him go.

Speaking of players not even good enough for L1, I see Sheff Utd have retained Wright for the Championship season campaign. D'oh.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

I wouldn't read too much into the 3 year deal issue.

Daryl Eales normal policy is 2 years plus a 1 year option for the club only. That's effectively a 3 year deal for the club unless the player turns out to be useless.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about his age. At 28 he will be at his career peak. He could be sold after 1 or 2 years of the deal or he could be retained if he is of sufficient quality.

I don't see him as a direct Maguire replacement. Maguire has been used a lot as wide right, but he is out of position there. We've not had a proper right winger for a while and this lad will bring balance to the side.

The left back position is now critical, and I remain entirely unconvinced about our striking options.

I do hope James Roberts will begin to come to fruition this season.

And I agree that allowing Jake Wright's departure was a big mistake. He could have been the difference to a play off place last season.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 am I remain entirely unconvinced about our striking options.
I broadly agree, although I predict that this could be the season when Hemmings really shows us what he can do. The signing of James Henry makes me think he'll get better service this year for his type of game.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am
GodalmingYellow wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 am I remain entirely unconvinced about our striking options.
I broadly agree, although I predict that this could be the season when Hemmings really shows us what he can do. The signing of James Henry makes me think he'll get better service this year for his type of game.
I hope you are right. In fairness to KH, he looked very sharp and positive against Oxford City and was getting involved all over the pitch, which was great to see. He's certainly the best that we have at the moment.

On Maguire, I was told at the weekend that he didn't train with the squad much and was flown down from Scotland by the club for each match.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.