New signings

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: New signings

Post by Werthers Original »

He probably demanded a three year deal to sign, possibly accepting a lower yearly rate than he would have got with a two year contract.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Full back Dwight Tiendalli arrives on a 12 month deal.

Knows Pep and was once sold for 2m Euros.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

What's he been doing for the last 2 years then?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Says in Oxford Mail recovering from knee and thigh injuries for 18 months.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I wonder if our physio is on performance-related pay...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I know it was only pre-season on holiday in Portugal but ... I reckon that nipper Malachi Napa may be a star in the making! In the first game v. Middlesbrough I mistakenly thought he was the older and more experienced (ahem!) Smile from Fulham (or Marston if you prefer) and thought he showed up very well: quick feet, good control, good awareness and happy to get stuck in. When I found out he was actually one of our kids I was doubly impressed! James Roberts on the other hand ...
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Spanish "playmaker" Xemi signs.

With at least one bid reported for Lundstram is this his replacement?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So Pep's first three signings have been a winger from Wolves, a Dutch International defender and a midfielder from Barcelona.

Sounds pretty impressive on paper - let's hope he knows what he's doing! Makes a change from signing SPL players anyway...
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Not sure if Barca B is better than SPL?

With breaking news this morning that Lunny is finalising a move to Sheff Utd, I am hoping that long balls that miss team mates or are hard for them to control, is replaced with more tika-taka in midfield.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

SPL and the Everton youth team became our feeder clubs.

Shame to see Lunny go, but that's football- so let's adapt and adjust and get going. The North really does seem to a pull for a lot of players, doesn't it.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:24 am SPL and the Everton youth team became our feeder clubs.

Shame to see Lunny go, but that's football- so let's adapt and adjust and get going. The North really does seem to a pull for a lot of players, doesn't it.
That cuts both ways though. Hemmings and Johnson are both Midlanders who, having gone to Scotland, returned closer to home by coming to Oxford. If the stories are to be believed about Mags spending much of the time in Scotland even during the season, then apart from the money question a move to Bury will put him closer to his family.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I can't be alone in being disappointed in Maguire by his decision. If he'd gone to the SPL or a successful northern club in the league above us, he'd have gone with my blessing and understanding - but to mess Oxford about for so long and then leave a club where's he's adored to go to bloody Bury... well, I think it reflects badly on him (to put it mildly).

As for Lündstram, strikes me as good business. Half a million for a club our size is not to be sniffed at even at the best of times - but when it's for a player who'd be worth bugger all in six months and who wants to leave, it's a no-brainer.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Makes you realize how much it's just a job - McAleny joins no-mark cloggers to be near his mum and Maguire goes to the worst team we played last year, presumably because they were the northern team who offered most money.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Werthers Original wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am Makes you realize how much it's just a job - McAleny joins no-mark cloggers to be near his mum and Maguire goes to the worst team we played last year, presumably because they were the northern team who offered most money.
Quite. I genuinely don't understand it in Maguire's case - fine, the travel/family issue was there, but in terms of job satisfaction surely to goodness he'd realise he'll probably never recreate the adulation he receives here?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 am
Werthers Original wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am Makes you realize how much it's just a job - McAleny joins no-mark cloggers to be near his mum and Maguire goes to the worst team we played last year, presumably because they were the northern team who offered most money.
Quite. I genuinely don't understand it in Maguire's case - fine, the travel/family issue was there, but in terms of job satisfaction surely to goodness he'd realise he'll probably never recreate the adulation he receives here?
Maguire will hardly further his career at Bury.