(Comings and) goings

Anything yellow and blue
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Re: (Comings and) goings

Post by Out of the gloom »

Always disappointing to see local youngsters released. Perhaps a consequence of how few Development games played this season and planned for the next.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I think at this level a regular reserve team is needed.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

There is clearly a sense of more important news in the background, but I read it slightly differently. I think he is also saying to Maguire and Dunkley (who is reported to have declined a new contract): 'Look, it's a two-way process. I am free to look for alternatives (better, cheaper), and if they come through, you won't be offered a deal / another deal'. Fair enough, I say, when the players (or the agents) seem to hold all the cards.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

I feel that this is the wrong time for a takeover.

The club is still moving in an upwards direction. Even if the rumoured tightening of the purse strings results in a playing budget that is lower for 17/18 than 16/17, this does not prevent the squad being strengthened and league and cup performances maintained/improved if the club is able to continue to acquire players who contribute a proportionately higher amount to performances relative to their cost than their predecessors did.

I think a far more appropriate time to consider 'twisting' would be once it is clear that the forward momentum has started to reverse. For now I would definitely stick.

Irrespective of the recent successes on the pitch, I also like the fact that the current leadership have made great strides in on making fans feel valued and as such this a club I want to be associated with. I do worry that this stability and mutual appreciation could all be thrown up in the air by new owners and would undermine any financial gains.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

The Enforcer wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm I feel that this is the wrong time for a takeover.

The club is still moving in an upwards direction. Even if the rumoured tightening of the purse strings results in a playing budget that is lower for 17/18 than 16/17, this does not prevent the squad being strengthened and league and cup performances maintained/improved if the club is able to continue to acquire players who contribute a proportionately higher amount to performances relative to their cost than their predecessors did.

I think a far more appropriate time to consider 'twisting' would be once it is clear that the forward momentum has started to reverse. For now I would definitely stick.

Irrespective of the recent successes on the pitch, I also like the fact that the current leadership have made great strides in on making fans feel valued and as such this a club I want to be associated with. I do worry that this stability and mutual appreciation could all be thrown up in the air by new owners and would undermine any financial gains.
That argument is predicated on the one with the purse strings having access to a sufficiently large purse, given alleged divorce proceedings.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 am That argument is predicated on the one with the purse strings having access to a sufficiently large purse, given alleged divorce proceedings.
Indeed. Even without the various rumours surrounding the purse-holder's personal life, a quick tot up of the sums expended to date would suggest that the well is running dry.

And a quick scan of the club's backroom shows "Vacant" signs alongside a number of key positions. Whilst momentum may have seen progress on the field continue, off the field we seem to have the bare shell of a club.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yep, whether we want a take-over or not, it seems DE is at least thinking of selling, otherwise he'd surely have said something recently.

Can't say I'm overly excited at the prospect of a very rich Uruguayan owning the club, particularly as his father-in-law has some rather dodgy alleged links to Donald Trump. Not forgetting that Dad-in-law also owns AS Monaco, who have recently bought a feeder club in Belgium.

Everyone else ok with all that?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Sartori seems a successful businessman, rather than someone who was gifted his agricultural and energy concerns by, say, a very rich father in law. That said, what we do not know is the proximity of their businesses now. Daddy-in-law's business history might be murky, and any link between Trump and a Russian raises eyebrows and tends to cost FBI directors their job, but that does not mean that Sartori is painted or tainted by that same brush.

Likewise, whilst I believe feeder clubs are fundamentally wrong, maybe Monaco buying Cercle Brugge makes it less likely that we will be offered to him for that purpose (assuming the takeover happens, of course).

Do not get me wrong - I am not looking at Sartori and seeing him as some sort of saviour or man who can do no wrong. If he takes over, he will need to be judged on his actions - and foreign ownership is not intrinsically bad. It is reasonable to highlight issues that might arise via possible connections to his father in law, but we should not get overly concerned by them...yet.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

Dr Bob wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm Sartori seems a successful businessman, rather than someone who was gifted his agricultural and energy concerns by, say, a very rich father in law. That said, what we do not know is the proximity of their businesses now. Daddy-in-law's business history might be murky, and any link between Trump and a Russian raises eyebrows and tends to cost FBI directors their job, but that does not mean that Sartori is painted or tainted by that same brush.
i agree with this based on what i understand. KY's concerns for me are things to be alive to rather than to condemn out of the blocks.

don't think i'm overly excited either, but i'm not sure what would (realistically) get me overly excited now in terms of prospective owners. despite initial doubts about eales as owner his ownership has been great for Us to date, but my reading is that the financial burden to move Us on (and maybe maintain Us where we are) is now not one he can/wants to bear. most potential buyers are likely to be new to Us, without any previous strong connection to the club, so we have to try and best assure ourselves that they have the best interests of the club at heart and the financial wherewithall to deliver on their plans.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

SOUND THE PLAYER NEWS KLAXON!

Dunkley to leave, but Eales believes Maguire will sign a new contract.

Sad to see Dunkley go, but I'd put money on Appleton signing someone better in the long-run. I predict a Div 4 team will sign up Dunkley and he'll do very well for them.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Sercombe on his way to Scotland?

(Also linked with Charlton and Luton apparently.)
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Skarz leaves. A shame to see him go - a real Steady Eddie of a fullback. He wouldn't win you many games, but he wouldn't lose you any either. Although he was unspectacular, his attitude and professionalism was clearly spot-on, and I felt he'd made the step up to this level very well. As with Dunkley, some club in Div 3 or Div 4 are going to inherit a hell of a player - and Appleton has to produce another rabbit from a hat.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

You can't fault what Skarz has done for the club, but I'm not too gutted to see him go. Yes he was solid and fully committed, but I never really felt he fitted in with the style of football we try to play. If we 'can't guarantee him first team football' next season, presumably either Marvin is staying or we have a pretty decent replacement left-back lined up. Either way I'm happy.

I'm more disappointed about Sercombe leaving, as I felt he was underused last season and still an asset at this level. Charlton and Brizzle seemed to agree. Still, getting a reported £150k for him isn't bad business I suppose, especially as we're not short on attack-minded midfielders.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Skarz was a very committed player and always gave his all. That is always welcomed by fans and I'm no different on that score. However, I do think he had found his level in our League 2 promotion team. He will no doubt be a useful defender for a lower table League 1, or upper table League 2 side.

Similarly, I think Sercs progress has slowed a lot over the last season, and compared with Ledson and Lunny, he looked a little outclassed. We need to be looking upwards, which means players who can play at a higher level and I'm not sure Sercs fitted the bill, even without whatever behind the scenes bust up occurred.