(Comings and) goings

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

(Comings and) goings

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote:In other news I see another member of staff has left - seems to be the DE show now, is he just following through on the cut backs he talked about I wonder.
Seems this rather more salient snippet has been lost in all the Wembley willy-waving. The third senior staff departure in recent months. And now Appleton says he's planning for League 1 next season. Though he makes slightly veiled threats about his future:

"Appleton expects to get an answer from the board about his budget for next season in the next few weeks, but his goal has not changed since arriving in July 2014.

He said: “I’m very ambitious. I came to the club because the ambition and desire was to get to the Championship.

“As long as that is still there, there will be no issues at all.”

Meanwhile DE hasn't said much lately...
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: (Comings and) goings

Post by ty cobb »

Well DE/the Board said the following

As we begin the budget process for next season, we will be forced to adopt a worst-case scenario, where we continue to have no benefit from revenues generated at the ground on match days, and we continue to pay an occupancy cost to Firoka that we feel is out of step with the service we receive.

The ongoing stadium uncertainty will result in us having to retrench our ambitions, narrow our horizons and even look at playing elsewhere until we find a new, permanent home. This will also mean a serious review of the playing budget and of our support of the academy.

Read more at http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... SsDxv83.99

So pretty clear to me - without any clarity cut backs are being made including to the playing squad in Jan where two senior players left but with a couple of young loanees brought in. It does seem a bit odd to me that our previous owner, the owner of Eastleigh and the fans are in discussions about the future of the stadium but the current owner has not been invited to the table and I would be pissed off if I was DE.

DE has been a fantastic chairman for us so it would be disappointing if he decides he's had enough because he is being cut out of the stadium deal. Some on the other site seem to think SD would step in, but given the chaos at Eastleigh this year I would be very reluctant to swap him for our current owner.

More worrying is the impact this will have on MA, without clarity on the playing budget next year, he can't plan and as we've seen he likes doing his business early.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well, well.

Not sure I like where this is heading.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It appears from a statement tonight that OxVox have met Mr Sartori and like him. Nothing to indicate DE has met him though! I can't seem to copy the statement from FB but I'm sure an OxVoxer can oblige! Got to wonder what's going on with OxVox!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Hog wrote: ... I'm sure an OxVoxer can oblige!
This was the statement sent round signed by Jem (nothing that said that the statement was confidential, but it raises many, many questions about OxVox's role, not least given the Rybolovlev link:

You may have seen speculation in the local media today that two parties, a Chinese consortium and a group led by Uruguayan Juan Sartori, may be interested in buying Oxford United from Darryl Eales.

We were made aware of interest from a potential Chinese consortium but have no other information and have not had any contact from that group. However, we would like to take this opportunity to reassure members that OxVox is fully aware of the situation with regard to Juan Sartori’s interest and is monitoring developments. OxVox Chair Jem Faulkner and co-opted committee member Stewart Donald met Juan Sartori on Tuesday evening for an exploratory discussion and appreciate the time taken from Mr Sartori to engage with the Supporters Trust.

While OxVox must reserve its position, it was clear from the meeting that Juan is credible, likeable, and a football fan, who if he were to become involved would want the club to become even more successful to build on the substantial achievements of Darryl Eales, and that he is likely to have the resources to do that. OxVox has made Darryl fully aware of Juan Sartori’s interest and of our meeting with him.

It is unclear at this point when and whether the interest will develop into a definite bid and if so, what if any effect it would have on plans for the stadium. We will of course seek to keep members fully informed of progress, as and when we are able, subject to any restrictions due to the need for commercial confidentiality.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I am a member of Oxvox, but I am not actively involved, and do not know the main protagonists.

There seems to be some suspicion of their involvement, which I don't understand.

Surely the alternative to a fans' group being involved is that a fans' group is not involved. In the latter case, we would know only what might have leaked out of negotiations (or been leaked by interested parties), and I have no confidence that local football journalists have the resources or motivation to investigate and unearth such matters. Surely the involvement of a fans' group at least shows that potential investors recognise that we are an important stakeholder, and the presence of fans 'at the table' means that they can express opinions on the key issues. I fully recognise that they have no vote.

I can also see that some kind of democratic involvement of all fans might be preferable, but there is no vehicle for that, and I am not aware that such a vehicle has existed elsewhere, except for some small clubs which have been owned by the fans - with, as I understand it, mixed results.

There is rightly a great deal of support for Eales himself. I would hate for him to come out of this badly, but - like Kassam - he has legal ownership, and cannot be forced to sell

If this analysis is naïve, please explain.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good post, that.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I don't see any issue with the fans group meeting with potential new owners, but I'd have thought it would have been done alongside our current owner, not one who is the owner of Eastleigh and DE bid against the last time the club was up for sale.

Combined that with Oxvox involving the owner of Eastleigh in the talks to buy the ground but not DE (who could equally provide funds) and it seems to me that OxVox have at least got some colours, a mast and are in the process of acquiring a hammer.

Yes, there are statements about DE being fully aware of what is going on, and being happy with his rival bidder being involved in the talks about the stadium, but I'm not sure this reflects the true picture. These statements aren't from DE as well and would love to know his true thoughts on the matter especially given the toys very much came out the pram earlier in the season.

I think we have made huge strides of late, much of it due to our current chairman, so to see him being somewhat cast aside worries me.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote:DE (who could equally provide funds)
Could he though? He didn't provide any for our promotion push, after saying that we were looking to bring players into the club in January (and potentially pay fees for them). Not that I'm complaining - I'm very happy that OUFC is being run *reasonably* sustainably and still enjoying success and playing very watchable football with a stable coaching and management set-up; hence my grave misgivings at talk of interest from multi-billionaires, particularly ones with no connection to Oxford or English football at all. But I think we have to assume that one of the reasons that FK won't sell the ground to DE is £££.

Anyway, apparently DE knows what's going on, even if the Mail have resorted to taking stories from Yellows Forum. I must say that SD is rather loose-lipped when posting on there. Now he appears to be openly contradicting DE.

Something's up, that's for sure. And Jean-Marc Goiran's involvement adds extra spice
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I suppose the answer to why Oxvox are talking to 'others' is because Kassam has stated publicly that he won't sell to Eales. Now, whether this is just to get some kind of financial leverage, or whether it's simply playground politics - Kassam's ego won't allow DE to be the saviour of OUFC - I can't pretend to understand. But if Oxvox had simply stuck with DE, surely it would be tantamount to saying to Kassam that the fans are prepared to accept the current situation.

DE hasn't bought me a beer (yet), but everything says that he has been an outstanding owner for us. If he can retain a share in the club, then that would be fantastic. I think we all hope he is not faced with an offer he feels he can't refuse from people he doesn't trust.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Things are 'hotting up' now between Eales and Sartori!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Interesting exciting/worrying* times.

* Delete as appropriate depending on whether you are a half full/empty person.

For me I have enjoyed the regime of Appleton and Eales and will be sad to see them go for a owner who isn't going to be as interested in the club as DE - by this I very much doubt we'll see him attending as many games or enjoying himself doing so as will probably have far better things to be doing with his time.

If he can sort the stadium out whilst continuing our progression on the pitch all will be well, but there are plenty of examples of a rich owner fucking the club over and it baffles me to why he would want to get involved in our club.

As always we are likely to be the last to know so guess we can only sit back and see what happens - anyone know the view of OxVox on all this, if in talks to buy the stadium I assume they will receive notification and know how much it is being sold for, at which point I guess they can show thier hand as to whether they think this is a good thing or bad.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Buchel has finally been released. No surprises there.

Four young guns have gone too - Robbie Cundy, Jordan Graham, Jonny Giles and perhaps more surprisingly Miles Welch-Hayes, who has made a couple of appearances for the 1st team and has looked pretty good in some of the Dev squad games.

Josh Ashby has been given a 1 year deal whilst he recovers from injury (although I thought he was already signed for 2017/18).
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

GodalmingYellow wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 am Buchel has finally been released. No surprises there.

Four young guns have gone too - Robbie Cundy, Jordan Graham, Jonny Giles and perhaps more surprisingly Miles Welch-Hayes, who has made a couple of appearances for the 1st team and has looked pretty good in some of the Dev squad games.

Josh Ashby has been given a 1 year deal whilst he recovers from injury (although I thought he was already signed for 2017/18).
Is this a sign of things to come? The higher we aim, the fewer young guns will be retained...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well most of the key questions haven't been answered. Are we triggering the extensions of Lundstram, Sercombe, Dunkley etc? Is there anyone under contract that we are 'transfer-listing'? Are there any o.o.c. players that we are offering new deals to?

Appleton is obviously trying to explain it away with talk of "players and clubs both weigh[ing] up their options carefully these days", but I think we all know why everything's up in the air at the moment...