F.A.Cup Day!

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: F.A.Cup Day!

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/opponent/54/

I never visited Ayresome Park - so will give this a go
as I missed the 1-4 at the Riverside in 1998.
Gazza played that day.

Our record versus the Boro is dreadful too.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Well it doesn't look like the standard of these lower premiership clubs is very high so we should be fine :-)
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Kernow Yellow wrote:So let's rate that draw:

Chance of being on TV - zero AGREED
Chance of progressing - very low DISAGREE
New ground - no NO
Nice place to visit - No MEH
Distance from Cornwall - bloody miles AGREED
Chance of getting tickets - pretty high AGREED

See you at the Riverside! AGREED
While I generally agree it's a fairly horrendous draw on many levels, it could have been worse.

Firstly, I'm going to say this right here and now. We will win. They're not going to take us or the cup seriously, while we clearly are. They only squeezed past Accy in the last round and have previous of losing at home to 'lesser clubs'. We will sell a lot of tickets to a lot of vocal, and pissed-up fans, while their fans will be scattered the vast soulless bowl that is their stadium. We will generate the atmosphere, our players will be inspired. We are clear underdogs, that suits us.

Second, it will be a decent pitch and nice facilities. Our players will enjoy it.

Thirdly, for a night out, the Toon isn't far away. Stockton's alright as well as I recall.

Fourth, I'm relieved it wasn't a Championship side away, as those that are left in are taking it seriously, like Wolves. I think a strong Wolves, or Blackburn, or Fulham would be too much for us.

If we do beat Boro, which we will, we will have beaten a Premier League team. And of all the Prem teams left, Boro are the most beatable.

And finally, tickets should be reasonable, and easy to get.

So yes, it's not a plum tie. Yes, I'm gutted it wont be on TV. Yes, I'm shuddering at the cost of train tickets. But I'm looking forward to a good day out, and a famous win, so see you there.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Positives: CHICKEN PARMO!!!!!!

Negatives: Nothing significant on the parmo scale!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

YF Dan wrote:They're not going to take us or the cup seriously, while we clearly are. They only squeezed past Accy in the last round and have previous of losing at home to 'lesser clubs'. We will sell a lot of tickets to a lot of vocal, and pissed-up fans, while their fans will be scattered the vast soulless bowl that is their stadium. We will generate the atmosphere, our players will be inspired.
I wouldn't be so sure of this. They will see it as a clear opportunity to get to a Wembley FA Cup semi-final or better. This is not something to be sniffed at for a club like Middlesbrough. They had 24,000 in for the last round against Accrington, so I don't suppose there will be too many empty seats when we travel up there, assuming they implement similarly sensible pricing. Apparently their fans can be quite noisy too since they introduced a 'singing section'.

But yes, we could still win.
YF Dan wrote:I'm shuddering at the cost of train tickets.
You should see the cost of flights from down here! Trains are just as much, and it's a 2-day journey each way. Looks like I'll be driving the 816 mile round trip...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Glad to see tickets for the Boro tie are selling well - I was a bit concerned that our fans were more interested in willy-waving about attending or boycotting a (still only theoretical) tinpot final than watching our first FA Cup fifth round tie in 23 YEARS!

Managed to find some cheap train tickets from Oxford too, so I don't need to drive all the way from Cornwall...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

More than 2,500 tickets sold to U's fans with another week of sales to come.