On This Day

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: On This Day

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 2nd 1991

With England playing Australia in the final of the 1991 rugby World Cup at Twickenham that Saturday afternoon,
struggling United decided to bring forward their home game with Barnsley to an 11.30am kick off to allow fans to get home
from Headington in time to watch the rugby on TV.

The U's were " rewarded " with their lowest gate of the season, 3,420, and possibly their lowest ever home attendance in the
second division. Under pressure gaffer Brian Horton apologised afterwards for another poor performance as Barnsley
easily defeated United 1-0 with a goal from Neil Redfearn.

U's: Kee; Robinson, Foster, Melville, Smart; Nogan, Magilton, Lewis, Simpson; Aylott, Stein

Tykes: Lee Butler; Mark Robinson, Gerry Taggart, Mark Smith, Gary Fleming; Brendan O'Connell, Neil Redfearn, Gareth Williams,
Owen Archdeacon; Wayne Bullimore, Andy Rammell
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I remember this.

It was a really cold day and I had no idea the match had been moved to an early kick-off.

I called the club to check whether the match would go ahead (living in London I learned the hard way to do this if the match was in any doubt)...the receptionist answered "Yes, it's on now".

"Now? What's the score"

"We're bloody losing again", she said and put the phone down.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I remember that at the time it was by a distance the dullest, lowest-quality football match I’d seen in 7 years watching Us. Probably the first time I’d seen the Manor really quiet and flat too.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 3rd 1992

On this Tuesday night 25 years ago United came back from the dead to salvage a 5-5 draw
with Jim Smith's Portsmouth at the Manor Ground.Trailing 2-5 with thirteen minutes to play
United bagged three late goals to somehow get back on level terms. A draw seemed very unlikely
as the U's were completely outplayed all night by a rampant Pompey.
U's goals came from, David Penney, Jim Magilton (2), John Durnin and Chris Allen.

U's: Reece; Smart, Evans, Melville, Ford M; Beauchamp, Lewis, Magilton, Allen; Durnin, Penney

Pompey: Alan Knight; Andy Awford, Ray Daniel, Alan McLoughlin, Kit Symons; Chris Burns, Warren Neill, Gavin Maguire, Mark Chamberlain;
Paul Walsh, Guy Whittingham

Att: 5,490

http://www.pompeyvoices.co.uk/story/e3281c79f6
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

OUFC4eva wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:50 am Image

November 3rd 1992

On this Tuesday night 25 years ago United came back from the dead to salvage a 5-5 draw
with Jim Smith's Portsmouth at the Manor Ground.Trailing 2-5 with thirteen minutes to play
United bagged three late goals to somehow get back on level terms. A draw seemed very unlikely
as the U's were completely outplayed all night by a rampant Pompey.
U's goals came from, David Penney, Jim Magilton (2), John Durnin and Chris Allen.

U's: Reece; Smart, Evans, Melville, Ford M; Beauchamp, Lewis, Magilton, Allen; Durnin, Penney

Pompey: Alan Knight; Andy Awford, Ray Daniel, Alan McLoughlin, Kit Symons; Chris Burns, Warren Neill, Gavin Maguire, Mark Chamberlain;
Paul Walsh, Guy Whittingham

Att: 5,490

http://www.pompeyvoices.co.uk/story/e3281c79f6
Given the number of Pompy there that is a shocking crowd - a team with Joey, Magilton and Allen in was a good team to watch, why did the crowds struggle to get over 6000 in those days?

How joyous to see Joey in full flow again.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 5th 1991

Former Oxford United owner and chairman Robert Maxwell (1982-1987)
dies at sea on this day 26 years ago, aged 68.

Maxwell, born Jan Ludvik Hyman Binyamin Hoch, in Czechoslovakia in 1923,
was presumed to have fallen overboard from his yacht, the Lady Ghislaine
after the vessel was cruising in the Atlantic Ocean, off the Canary Islands.

Maxwell was buried on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 6th 2001

The Oxford Mail publish a story in which it claims there has been an exorcism
at the Kassam Stadium. The Bishop of Oxford, Rt Reverend Richard Harries, was called in
by United club chaplain Rev.Michael Chantry to lift a gipsy curse from the Kassam Stadium.

The national press quickly jumped all over the story with the Sun newspaper
producing a front page splash alongside an image of Harries with the
banner headline: The Exorcist !

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/660653 ... m/?ref=arc
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Unbelievable stuff in this day and age! Mumbo Jumbo of the highest order! I think he hit it on the head with old wives' tale but then bowed to type with believing in it! Mind you they've been peddling it for centuries to keep the gullible in line!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 7th 1998

On this day nineteen years ago, crisis club United visited Vicarage Road, Watford for a second tier
fixture. Days after a takeover deal collapsed and in the grip of a major cash shortage that saw staff and players
go unpaid and receiving food parcels, Malcolm Shotton's injury hit team were hopelessly outclassed
and did not manage a serious effort on target all afternoon. To make matters worse
United wore Watford's blue away kit after failing to pack their own away strip.

Graham Taylor's Watford easily defeated United with goals from Steve Palmer and Gifton Noel-Williams.
Many fans were speculating that the U's could fold within days such was the level of the clubs' debt, pressing
creditors including new stadium contractors Taylor Woodrow and other major off field issues.

U's: Whitehead; Rose, Robinson, Whelan, Powell; Wright, Gray, Smith, Murphy; Thomson, Banger

Watford: Alec Chamberlain; Darren Bazeley, Robert Page, Steve Palmer, Paul Robinson;
Johann Gudmundson, Micah Hyde, Richard Johnson, Peter Kennedy; Nick Wright, Gifton Noel-Williams

Att: 10,137
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I remember going to that match at Watford genuinely fearing it could be the last ever OUFC game. Everyone assumed we wore Watford's kit because we couldn't afford to buy our own! Horrible performance and atmosphere.

I often find I've forgotten players from previous line-ups and have to look them up, but in this case I'm still none the wiser. I have no memory at all of Andrew Rose or Anthony Wright!

I do remember (I think) that this match was played on Radley Rambler's birthday - if so many happy returns for today...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 pm I often find I've forgotten players from previous line-ups and have to look them up, but in this case I'm still none the wiser. I have no memory at all of Andrew Rose or Anthony Wright!
Just seen that we used a sub called Danny Hill too - anyone? England U21 international apparently...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:26 pm
Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 pm I often find I've forgotten players from previous line-ups and have to look them up, but in this case I'm still none the wiser. I have no memory at all of Andrew Rose or Anthony Wright!
Just seen that we used a sub called Danny Hill too - anyone? England U21 international apparently...
He was good! Well, I thought so anyway. Central midfielder who we got on a free from Spurs, IIRC. Always thought he was one who was dispensed with too quickly.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:13 pm I remember going to that match at Watford genuinely fearing it could be the last ever OUFC game. Everyone assumed we wore Watford's kit because we couldn't afford to buy our own! Horrible performance and atmosphere.

I often find I've forgotten players from previous line-ups and have to look them up, but in this case I'm still none the wiser. I have no memory at all of Andrew Rose or Anthony Wright!

I do remember (I think) that this match was played on Radley Rambler's birthday - if so many happy returns for today...
I was at that game too.
As I left the ground two Watford fans were in front of me, discussing the game. One said to the other "That's the worst performance I've ever seen in Watford shirt"...... he was referring to OUFC!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 8th 1986

Those were the days! The national media descended upon the cramped Manor Ground
to witness Alex Ferguson's first match in charge of the reds.

Ferguson was appointed just two days earlier
following the sacking of big Ron Atkinson.

The U's emerged victorious as goals from John Aldridge (pen) and Neil Slatter gave
them a comfortable home victory.

U's: Parks; Langan, Briggs, Shotton, Slatter; Houghton, Trewick, Phillips L, Brock; Aldridge, Leworthy

Man Utd: Chris Turner; Mike Duxbury, Paul McGrath, Kevin Moran, Arthur Albiston; Jesper Olsen, Clayton Blackmore, Remi Moses,
Peter Barnes; Frank Stapleton, Peter Davenport

Att: 13,545
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

November 9th 2002

On this day fifteen years ago, United achieved their ever first win over Rochdale after
eight previous attempts all failed.

Goals from James Hunt and a late Steve Basham header gave Ian Atkins' U's
a home victory in front of just 4,547 fans at Grenoble Road.

U's:Woodman; McNiven, Crosby, Bound, Viveash, Robinson; Hunt, Whitehead, Savage; Basham, Oldfield

Dale: Neil Edwards; Wayne Evans, Gareth Griffiths, Shane Cansdell-Sherrif, Matt Doughty; Gavin Melaugh,
Chris Beech, Paul Simpson; Lee McEvilly, Clive Platt, Paul Connor.