On This Day

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: On This Day

Post by YF Dan »

OUFC4eva wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 am Image

December 20th 2003

A bad tempered top of the table affair boiled over with the second half sending off of U's striker Julian Alsop
at Huddersfield's Alfred McAlpine stadium. Town took the lead through Jon Stead before ten man U's
equalised with an effort from sub. Mark Rawle with 18 minute left on the clock.

There was still time for future U's midfielder Lee Fowler to see red in the last minute as United remained
in top spot under Ian Atkins.

U's: Woodman; McNiven, McCarthy, Bound, Crosby, Robinson; Whitehead, Hunt, Wanless; Alsop, Basham
subs: Ashton, Rawle, Hackett, Steele, Brown

Town: Phil Senior; Nathan Clarke, Efe Sodje, Steve Yates, Nat Brown; Anthony Lloyd, Paul Scott, Lee Fowler,
Danny Schofield; Jon Stead, Andy Booth

Att: 9,368
Cracking header by Rawle, as I recall, right in the top corner.

I also recall KY nursing a particularly bad hangover.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

YF Dan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 am I also recall KY nursing a particularly bad hangover.
So bad that I could have sworn we lost the game! Alsop was sent off for apparently elbowing a Hudds player, and all the away fans present just assumed he'd been an idiot and done it (well it was Julian Alsop). But in fact replays showed the ref had been conned and he never touched him.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

December 21st 1980

U's chairman Bill Reeves and his board agree to terminate the contract of U's manager Bill Asprey
after defeat at Millwall two days earlier. United appointed Ian Greaves on December 23rd but Greaves
did not sign a contract with the club.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

December 21st 2008

On this cold Sunday morning nine years ago, United chairman Kelvin Thomas announced the appointment of Chris Wilder
as the club's new manager. Wilder, 41, had been assistant manager to Alan Knill at Bury for the previous five months.
Wilder replaced Darren Patterson who was sacked three weeks earlier. Wilder was preferred to the vastly
experienced John Ward.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/39943 ... d_buzzing/
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Today, 22 years ago(!), Oxford United beat Sw*ndon Town 3-0 at The Manor, with goals from Elliot, Aldridge and Beauchamp. For those of you wanting to relive this great moment in our history, the highlights are available.

Frustratingly, I couldn't track down an image of the legendary "Mad Ox BSE (beat Sw*ndon Easily)" t-shirts released in the week after the game which caused a media stir. Does anyone have a picture? Does anyone still have one of the actual t-shirts?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 am Today, 22 years ago(!), Oxford United beat Sw*ndon Town 3-0 at The Manor, with goals from Elliot, Aldridge and Beauchamp. For those of you wanting to relive this great moment in our history, the highlights are available.
Half my life ago, that.

What a game! What a night! What a season! What I'd give for life to be like that again (and me to be 22 again)...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Kernow Yellow wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:02 pm
Kairdiff Exile wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:59 am Today, 22 years ago(!), Oxford United beat Sw*ndon Town 3-0 at The Manor, with goals from Elliot, Aldridge and Beauchamp. For those of you wanting to relive this great moment in our history, the highlights are available.
Half my life ago, that.

What a game! What a night! What a season! What I'd give for life to be like that again (and me to be 22 again)...
The Welsh have a word for that: "hiraeth". There's no direct English translation, but it denotes a longing for a past to which you can never return... I'm a few years younger than you, so that game was my first ever Oxford-Sw*ndon derby; I chose well!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

25 years ago today I was at London Road Peterborough where I met John Durnin’s dad
outside the players entrance! What a character. We drew 1-1 (Beauchamp).

London Road had an uncovered terrace down one side of the ground I remember.

It was also the day the IRA bomb went off in Warrington.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/fi ... 993-03-20/
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: On This Day.

Post by OUFC4eva »

On this day - 2nd May 1988 - United hosted its last ever top flight match at the Manor Ground.

United (already relegated) under the management of Mark Lawrenson, lost 0-2 to Ron Atkinson’s second placed team.
The reds netted twice in the first half through Viv Anderson and Gordon Strachan.

Just 8,966 were in attendance. The match marked the last home performances for John Dreyer, who moved to Luton,
Trevor Hebberd who signed for Derby and Tommy Caton who signed for Charlton.

U’s: Judge; Bardsley, Greenall, Caton, Dreyer; L Phillips, Mustoe, Hebberd, Rhoades-Brown; Saunders, Foyle
Sub: Denton

Man U: Chris Turner; Viv Anderson; Steve Bruce, Paul McGrath, Mike Duxbury; Jesper Olsen, Bryan Robson,
Gordon Strachan, Colin Gibson; Peter Davenport, Brian McClair Sub: Clayton Blackmore