On This Day

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: On This Day

Post by Radley Rambler »

OUFC4eva wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 pm October 6th 2007

Struggling United headed north on this day ten years ago to the Metropolitan borough of Tameside, Greater Manchester,
to take on bottom of the table Droylsden who had lost their last eleven league games. However, under pressure Jim Smith’s
United were 3-0 down before Yemi Odubade grabbed a last minute consultation and to make matters worse
United’s embarrassment was screened live on Setanta Sports.

U’s then chairman Nick Merry took to the pitch post match and gave a TV interview in which he gave manager Jim Smith
a huge vote of confidence and urged fans to ‘ keep the faith”. It was a sad denouement to Smith’s Oxford
United managerial career which was to end the following month.

U’s: Turley; Day, Willmott, Foster, Gnohere, Jeannin; Odubade, Quinn, Hutchinson, Trainer; Shaw

Droylsden: Halford; McGuire, Lynch, Tandy, Cryan; Phillips, Daly, Stephens , Murray; Denham, Banim

Att: 1,074
What a long, long way we have come in ten years - food for thought for those who don't like the current Chairman.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

My patience was wearing very thin at that time. I recall going to Histon
on a Tuesday night a week or so earlier and we lost 1-0. I also
remember a defeat at Altrincham. We were shocking!

I watched the Droylsden game from behind the sofa that Saturday tea time.

Worse was to follow - we were humiliated at Rushden 5-0 in early November ‘07.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

OUFC4eva wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:52 pm My patience was wearing very thin at that time. I recall going to Histon
on a Tuesday night a week or so earlier and we lost 1-0. I also
remember a defeat at Altrincham. We were shocking!

I watched the Droylsden game from behind the sofa that Saturday tea time.

Worse was to follow - we were humiliated at Rushden 5-0 in early November ‘07.
That was also on the telly- Simeon Jackson hat-trick if I recall.........scary stuff.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Radley Rambler wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm
OUFC4eva wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:34 pm October 6th 2007

Struggling United headed north on this day ten years ago to the Metropolitan borough of Tameside, Greater Manchester,
to take on bottom of the table Droylsden who had lost their last eleven league games. However, under pressure Jim Smith’s
United were 3-0 down before Yemi Odubade grabbed a last minute consultation and to make matters worse
United’s embarrassment was screened live on Setanta Sports.

U’s then chairman Nick Merry took to the pitch post match and gave a TV interview in which he gave manager Jim Smith
a huge vote of confidence and urged fans to ‘ keep the faith”. It was a sad denouement to Smith’s Oxford
United managerial career which was to end the following month.

U’s: Turley; Day, Willmott, Foster, Gnohere, Jeannin; Odubade, Quinn, Hutchinson, Trainer; Shaw

Droylsden: Halford; McGuire, Lynch, Tandy, Cryan; Phillips, Daly, Stephens , Murray; Denham, Banim

Att: 1,074
What a long, long way we have come in ten years - food for thought for those who don't like the current Chairman.
I went to this one, it was hugely dispiriting even before we kicked off as we had a team with 4 centre halves (Willmott, Foster, Gnohere, Quinn), 2 full backs (Jeannin, Day) and 2 defensive midfielders against a team who'd lost their previous 11, the mind boggles as to what Smith was thinking.
Are there 5 division between us and them now?
I remember Jody Banim looking talented, if chubby.

re-live it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxiJsZqMpA
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Shivers down the spine - even if Yemi should have had two pens in the first half!

Too many players who just weren't good enough, even at that level.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 7th 1995

After re-signing for the U's just three days earlier from local rivals Sw*ndon Town, Joey
Beauchamp went straight into the starting line up versus Stockport County at the Manor.
Denis Smith paid just £75,000 to bring Joey home - an absolute bargain.
Phil Gilchrist volleyed United into an early lead, Paul Ware then equalised for County
before Paul Moody headed in a David Rush cross beyond 'keeper Neil Edwards.

U's: Carter; Robinson, Elliott, Gilchrist, Ford M; Beauchamp, Ford R, Smith, Allen; Rush, Moody

Att: 5,646
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 8th 2016

On this day 12 months ago, Oxford United Supporters' Trust OxVox released a
statement confirming that constructive and positive talks had taken place over recent months
regarding the potential for future community ownership of the Kassam Stadium.

Talks remain confidential and private at this time, but both parties are keen to progress the
conversations further over the coming months.

In its last set of committee minutes dated September 8th 2017 OxVox noted that
chairman Jeremy Faulkner had briefed the committee on recent telephone communications
with Firoz Kassam and those present discussed at length the situation and the next steps
regarding the stadium.

JF briefed the committee on recent telephone communications with Firoz Kassam.
Frustratingly, we are still NOT AT THE STAGE OF A FIRM DEAL and JF has told Firoz
Kassam that THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN or he, (Firoz Kassam) must FORMALLY CONFIRM
that he (Firoz Kassam) is NOT PREPARED TO DO ANYTHING.

JF would formally write to Firoz Kassam by 18th September 2017 and will also speak
with him on the 'phone.

www.oxvox.org.uk/kassam-stadium/
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 11th 2014

United are humiliated at Cambridge United 5-1. The lunch time kick off was broadcast live on Sky Sports
and United took an early lead through Danny Hylton's close range header. Richard Money's Cambridge roared
back with goals from on loan striker Kwesi Appiah (2), Ryan Donaldson, Tom Elliott and Robbie Simpson.

This embarrassing capitulation saw Michael Appleton immediately end the United careers of Michael Raynes,
Tom Newey and Junior Brown. Brian Howard also left the club shortly afterwards.
United found themselves second from bottom and in the relegation zone on this day.

U's: Clarke; Riley, Raynes, Mullins, Newey; Brown, Howard, Collins, Rose; O'Dowda, Hylton

Cambridge: Chris Dunn; Richard Tait, Josh Coulson, Michael Nelson, Greg Taylor; Ryan Donaldson,
Josh Simpson, Luke Chadwick, Liam Hughes; Kwesi Appiah, Tom Elliott

Att: 4,435
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

OUFC4eva wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 am Image

October 8th 2016

statement confirming that constructive and positive talks had taken place over recent months

Talks remain confidential and private at this time, but both parties are keen to progress the

chairman Jeremy Faulkner had briefed the committee on recent telephone communications
with Firoz Kassam and those present discussed at length the situation and the next steps
regarding the stadium.

Frustratingly, we are still NOT AT THE STAGE OF A FIRM DEAL and JF has told Firoz

JF would formally write to Firoz Kassam by 18th September 2017 and will also speak
with him on the 'phone.

So is it now time for OxVox to admit their time has been wasted by Kassam over the last year. It sounds like they've done all they can, is it now time to protest and call for a boycott of any business he is linked to, it is completly unreasonable to refuse to give up the stadium when he has benefited to the tune of millions in his involvement with OUFC.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

ty cobb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 pm
OUFC4eva wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 am Image

October 8th 2016

regarding the stadium.

with him on the 'phone.

So is it now time for OxVox to admit their time has been wasted by Kassam over the last year. It sounds like they've done all they can, is it now time to protest and call for a boycott of any business he is linked to, it is completly unreasonable to refuse to give up the stadium when he has benefited to the tune of millions in his involvement with OUFC.
We might not like it but it is not 'completely unreasonable' from his perspective. He has no driver to give up the stadium unless someone offers him a bucket of cash or the Council dangle planning permission incentives if he assists any relocation to another site (Council also need to sort the 'other site' bit so don't hold your breath) - why should he be reasonable? I suspect he doesn't like our fanbase, some of whom stormed his Boardroom and many others of whom call him every name under the sun from behind their keyboards - and some of this can be racist in nature. If I was him, I think I'd be enjoying the power trip.

So frustrating yes but completely unreasonable, no.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 12th 1971

Ron Atkinson makes his final appearance for the U's in a 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage, Fulham.
Atkinson made 562 career appearances for the U's - a record that still stands today.
He was appointed manager of Kettering Town in December 1971 at the age of 32.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

[/quote]

We might not like it but it is not 'completely unreasonable' from his perspective. He has no driver to give up the stadium unless someone offers him a bucket of cash or the Council dangle planning permission incentives if he assists any relocation to another site (Council also need to sort the 'other site' bit so don't hold your breath) - why should he be reasonable? I suspect he doesn't like our fanbase, some of whom stormed his Boardroom and many others of whom call him every name under the sun from behind their keyboards - and some of this can be racist in nature. If I was him, I think I'd be enjoying the power trip.

So frustrating yes but completely unreasonable, no.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong from a legal perspective am sure he is well within his rights to hold onto the stadium. In the same way that amazon and google legally are quite right to pay hardly any tax on their operations in the UK. But morally it's just wrong. Kassam has made millions out of us, he owns all the land and businesses around the stadium with nothing going towards OUFC despite saying at the time it would. He's done very well out of his association with Oxford, we survived but got relegated twice under his watch. He has now made it almost impossible for us to compete at a high level but charging us a high rent and not maintaining the pitch to a reasonable standard so OUFC have to keep paying for it to be relaid.

So legally - of course he can put his feet up, but morally he should accept he's done well out of us, he is holding back our progression and his last act towards the club should be giving us a good chance of being sustainable in the future.

Perhaps then his time at Oxford will be looked upon more as "well he stuck some money in but was hopeless at picking a manager, but at least he saved us and secured our long term future" rather than "he screwed us for every penny he could".

If he gifted the stadium, for example, I would have no problem with calling it the Kassam stadium for ever more - would be a good legacy.

However, this is very unlikely and therefore OxVox are hopefully thinking of ways of hurting the one thing he seems to care about - his bottom line.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 13th 1979

Unpleasant scenes off the pitch in Headington on this day as Millwall with a large away following
defeat United 2-1 with two first half goals from John Mitchell and Phil Coleman.
Joe Cooke with a late consolation for Bill Asprey’s U’s who were third in the table
going into this fixture.

U’s: Burton; Taylor, BrIggs, Stott, Fogg; Graydon, Duncan, Jeffrey, Hodgson; Cooke, Berry

Lions: John Jackson; Dave Donaldson, Tony Tagg, Mel Blyth, Dave Gregory; Tony Towner, John Seasman, Nicky Chatterton,
Dave Mehmet; John Mitchell, John Lyons

Att: 6,807
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 14th 2007

On this day ten years ago Jim Smith took his team to the Throstle Nest to face
Farsley Celtic FC in a Blue Square Conference fixture which was played on a Sunday afternoon.
Oxford included on loan striker Jordan Rhodes from Ipswich Town in the starting line up
for his debut. The U's scrambled to a narrow 1-0 win with a second half goal from Phil Trainer.
Farsley had earlier struck both crossbar and a post.

The game was refereed by Craig Pawson who now officiates in the Premier League.

U's: Turley; Foster, Willmott, Gilchrist, Jeannin; Bailey, Pettefer, Trainer, Rose; Odubade, Rhodes

Farsley: Tom Morgan; Stephen Downes, Mike Pearson, Carl Serrant,Ryan Crossley; Simeon Bambrook, Ashley Allanson,
James Knowles, Chris Billy; Lee Tuck, Damian Reeves

Att 1,219
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

October 15th 1988

This second tier Saturday afternoon encounter in Suffolk was Mark Lawrenson's penultimate match in charge of the U's.
United overcame late Ipswich pressure to record a 2-1 victory - their only win at Portman Road to this day - with first half
goals from Jimmy Phillips and Martin Foyle. Jason Dozzell pulled a goal back in the second half but United held firm.
Romeo Zondervan saw a first half penalty saved by U's 'keeper Alan Judge. The U's played in a red Umbro away kit
that season.

U's: Judge; Bardsley, Briggs, Slatter, Greenall, Phillips J; Reck, Phillips L, Mustoe; Foyle, Saunders
Sub: Richard Hill for Gary Briggs.

Town: Craig Forrest; Frank Yallop, Tony Humes, David Linighan, David Hill; Jason Dozzell, Romeo Zondervan,
Mike Stockwell, Simon Milton; David Lowe, Dalian Atkinson
Sub: Chris Kiwomya for Simon Milton.

Att: 13,039
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.