Flags

Anything yellow and blue
Post Reply
tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Flags

Post by tomoufc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:24 pm

How ironic that you can have home fixture every season that promotes British militarism, replete with Union Jacks and war fatigues, but you can get into trouble for hanging an OUFC supporting flag in the stands on the grounds of safety.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1048
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Re: Flags

Post by ty cobb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:12 pm

Don't think it was the hanging of flags that were the problem, it was the waving of the huge ones during the game. I would imagine someone has got pissed off with not being able to see, or has got whacked around the head and which has caused someone to complain. I got smacked square on the nose by one of the huge flag poles against the Scum (and I was halfway down the stand) and it bloody hurt.

Didn't kick up a fuss as I think they're doing a grand job, but if I wasn't quite so robust it may well have broken my nose so there is a health and safety angle here, boring as that may be.

Radley Rambler
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Flags

Post by Radley Rambler » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:40 am

tomoufc wrote:How ironic that you can have home fixture every season that promotes British militarism, replete with Union Jacks and war fatigues, but you can get into trouble for hanging an OUFC supporting flag in the stands on the grounds of safety.
A bit over the top Tom. As someone with relatives in the military, maybe I'm biased but I think they do a pretty good job in difficult circumstances. It's not easy for the individuals or their families when they're stationed at Basra, Camp Bastion etc. for a 6 month period as my relatives have been. Would you prefer that we abandoned the military and relied on the goodwill of Russia etc? Do you also have a concern with Remembrance Sunday - that is after all a 'celebration' of the sacrifice made by millions.

tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Re: Flags

Post by tomoufc » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Radley Rambler wrote:
tomoufc wrote:How ironic that you can have home fixture every season that promotes British militarism, replete with Union Jacks and war fatigues, but you can get into trouble for hanging an OUFC supporting flag in the stands on the grounds of safety.
A bit over the top Tom. As someone with relatives in the military, maybe I'm biased but I think they do a pretty good job in difficult circumstances. It's not easy for the individuals or their families when they're stationed at Basra, Camp Bastion etc. for a 6 month period as my relatives have been. Would you prefer that we abandoned the military and relied on the goodwill of Russia etc? Do you also have a concern with Remembrance Sunday - that is after all a 'celebration' of the sacrifice made by millions.
Doing a good job at what exactly? I can't think of a single British military success in the past 15 years.

Military day at OUFC isn't remembrance Sunday. Its main function is to promote the military - glamourise it, even - to encourage Oxfordshire's children and young people to sign up for cadets or the real thing. To, ultimately, participate in the slaughter of innocent people or to (less likely) die themselves, in unwinnable resource wars.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

Radley Rambler
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Flags

Post by Radley Rambler » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm

tomoufc wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:
tomoufc wrote:How ironic that you can have home fixture every season that promotes British militarism, replete with Union Jacks and war fatigues, but you can get into trouble for hanging an OUFC supporting flag in the stands on the grounds of safety.
A bit over the top Tom. As someone with relatives in the military, maybe I'm biased but I think they do a pretty good job in difficult circumstances. It's not easy for the individuals or their families when they're stationed at Basra, Camp Bastion etc. for a 6 month period as my relatives have been. Would you prefer that we abandoned the military and relied on the goodwill of Russia etc? Do you also have a concern with Remembrance Sunday - that is after all a 'celebration' of the sacrifice made by millions.
Doing a good job at what exactly? I can't think of a single British military success in the past 15 years.

Military day at OUFC isn't remembrance Sunday. Its main function is to promote the military - glamourise it, even - to encourage Oxfordshire's children and young people to sign up for cadets or the real thing. To, ultimately, participate in the slaughter of innocent people or to (less likely) die themselves, in unwinnable resource wars.
I don't disagree re the military successes of the past 15 years but for that I blame the politicians and their dreadful decision making rather than the military personnel themselves or the concept of a military. I was on RAF Akrotori in Cyprus visiting relatives last year and saw the Tornados/Typhoons taking off, my heart sank at the prospect of what that meant but the institution/personnel were merely carrying out the will of the elected leaders. So I stand by my statement that they do a pretty good job in difficult circumstances and should have our respect.

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2806
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Flags

Post by Kernow Yellow » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Anyway, about these flags...

I've no idea what's gone on. But I will say that the efforts of the 'Ultras' group, who prepare the banners in the ground for hours before every match, fund raising and lugging their kit around the country and trying to get some atmosphere going at every game, has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of attending home games in recent years. They have turned the breeze block stadium into something almost homely, and that was pretty unimaginable a few short years ago. They're always in the same area of the ground (right at the back), so if anyone doesn't like being around that kind of thing it's not tricky to move. Proper football support can only ever be spontaneous and genuine - the idea of being told when to wave flags depresses me no end. Maybe they were throwing their toys out of the pram against Oldham, but if they feel they're being taken for granted then I have every sympathy. The Kassam stadium would be infinitely worse for their absence. It's easy to shrug from the sidelines about soulless modern football but they've got off their arses and done something about it, and if they feel that entitles them to some special treatment then fair enough in my eyes.

SWA
Puberty
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: Flags

Post by SWA » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Cracking post that ^^^^^

GodalmingYellow
Senile
Posts: 5178
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 10:22 am

Re: Flags

Post by GodalmingYellow » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:32 am

Kernow Yellow wrote:Anyway, about these flags...

I've no idea what's gone on. But I will say that the efforts of the 'Ultras' group, who prepare the banners in the ground for hours before every match, fund raising and lugging their kit around the country and trying to get some atmosphere going at every game, has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of attending home games in recent years. They have turned the breeze block stadium into something almost homely, and that was pretty unimaginable a few short years ago. They're always in the same area of the ground (right at the back), so if anyone doesn't like being around that kind of thing it's not tricky to move. Proper football support can only ever be spontaneous and genuine - the idea of being told when to wave flags depresses me no end. Maybe they were throwing their toys out of the pram against Oldham, but if they feel they're being taken for granted then I have every sympathy. The Kassam stadium would be infinitely worse for their absence. It's easy to shrug from the sidelines about soulless modern football but they've got off their arses and done something about it, and if they feel that entitles them to some special treatment then fair enough in my eyes.
Can't disagree with that.

I would go further and say its about time the club made the centre rear section of the East Stand officially a section for flag waving, continuous singing and standing, with an advisory of the likely activity in that section, given to anyone buying a ticket in that vicinity.

tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Re: Flags

Post by tomoufc » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm in total agreement on the flag issue. The ultras make going to home matches worthwhile. I hope the club aren't can accommodate what they do.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests