Return of the Macc

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Return of the Macc

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So a visit to Macclesfield beckons in the second round of the FA Cup. Another match that is unlikely to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday I reckon.

Our last (and only) FA Cup tie at Moss Rose was in fact our first ever competitive fixture there. The match was delayed when the goal net was pulled down in front of the away end if memory serves correctly - some Man City fans on a stag do I think. We won 1-0 under David Kemp (a rare occurrence). I'll take a repeat of that...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Return of the Macc

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/fi ... 000-11-18/

Look at the all conquering team we put
out at the Moss Rose in November 2000.

A shiver has gone down my spine.

I did go to the game though - a very cold afternoon
but gave the Chester game in round two a miss.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Another match that is unlikely to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday I reckon.
And so it comes to pass. Live on BBC on the Friday night. Which has become something of a Cupset slot in recent years. :shock:
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Keith Brown?? No memory
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:Another match that is unlikely to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday I reckon.
And so it comes to pass. Live on BBC on the Friday night. Which has become something of a Cupset slot in recent years. :shock:
Excellent - didn't fancy schlepping up to Macc for this one - so a cold can of lager and BBC1 it is. Add the £70k to OUFC coffers to boot and this is a good result.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Our fifth live televised cup game of the calendar year - that must be some sort of record for a side at our level!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Werthers Original wrote:
Keith Brown?? No memory
My thoughts exactly!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Just a thought - have OUFC every been scheduled to kick off at 19:55?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Macc sign forward Richard Brodie on loan from York City
but he is Cup tied for the Oxford game having played
for York in the competition against Curzon Ashton:

http://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... 21004.aspx
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Who did Slumdon get in the next round...? ;)
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

recordmeister wrote:Who did Slumdon get in the next round...? ;)
Weekend off (a)
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote:
Weekend off (a)
Which is all we deserve after that shocking showing at Moss Rose last night. When Chris Maguire stepped up to that last-minute free-kick I thought what a travesty it would be if it went in!

That first half was a real low in terms of OUFC performances over the years. The central midfielders were most culpable, giving the ball away almost every time we went forwards, not tracking back and helping out when they did so, and adopting the ridiculous tactic of passing back to Eastwood at every opportunity (even working it back from the edge of Macc's penalty area at times!) so it could be hoofed up to their big centre backs. Brilliant! Maguire and Macdonald were equally infuriating, and the full-backs were constantly caught out of position, exposing the central defenders time after time. I'd have felt quite sorry for Dunks and Martin if they hadn't also conspired to turn simple situations into extreme danger by dwelling on the ball and tripping over it. Dunks also forced Eastwood into the save of the night and was arguably lucky to only see yellow for his desperate lunge which crunched Lewis's foot. He was still one of our better performers on the night, which says a lot.

Of course we should credit Macclesfield with their intensity and game plan, but did we have to make it so bloody easy for them? The fact that we improved for the last 25 minutes and matched a Conference team for that short period is no cause for celebration.

We've been given a massive lifeline in a competition which really ignited our success last season. Let's make the most of it.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes agree with all that. Our midfield was invisible much of the time - we've taken Lundstram and Sercombe too much for granted, I fear. Nothing against the bloke, but it's a bit worrying if you have to put Ruffels on to make the midfield better (Johnson went to left back when Skarz came off). Our full backs looked very shaky against Conference wingers and I wonder if that's an area we'll look to strengthen at Christmas, along with the forward positions. Apart from Maguire they're all pretty poor, aren't they?

I was looking forward to a good night with pals in front of the telly, and showing the country how good we are!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:
Weekend off (a)
Which is all we deserve after that shocking showing at Moss Rose last night. When Chris Maguire stepped up to that last-minute free-kick I thought what a travesty it would be if it went in!

That first half was a real low in terms of OUFC performances over the years. The central midfielders were most culpable, giving the ball away almost every time we went forwards, not tracking back and helping out when they did so, and adopting the ridiculous tactic of passing back to Eastwood at every opportunity (even working it back from the edge of Macc's penalty area at times!) so it could be hoofed up to their big centre backs. Brilliant! Maguire and Macdonald were equally infuriating, and the full-backs were constantly caught out of position, exposing the central defenders time after time. I'd have felt quite sorry for Dunks and Martin if they hadn't also conspired to turn simple situations into extreme danger by dwelling on the ball and tripping over it. Dunks also forced Eastwood into the save of the night and was arguably lucky to only see yellow for his desperate lunge which crunched Lewis's foot. He was still one of our better performers on the night, which says a lot.

Of course we should credit Macclesfield with their intensity and game plan, but did we have to make it so bloody easy for them? The fact that we improved for the last 25 minutes and matched a Conference team for that short period is no cause for celebration.

We've been given a massive lifeline in a competition which really ignited our success last season. Let's make the most of it.
What he said.

Shocking display.