Gutted...

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Gutted...

Post by ty cobb »

Significantly better?

If we look at goals scored, which is always the key stat for your main goalscoring striker, Beanos record in league 2 for us was a goal every 3.46 games and Hyltons was a goal every 3.36 games - being part of a team that finishes second I would expect this to be marginally higher, especially when playing for a more attack minded manager. Personally I don't think there is much between them but to suggest that a player who scored 50 goals in his first two seasons with us wasn't clinical in front of goal is a bit bizarre.

Hylton is unproven at league one level, if we're aiming for the Championship then offering a two year deal would have been a gamble. I don't blame him for taking the security of a two year deal, as I didn't with Beano, however, Beano had served us better over a longer period, was very close to breaking our goal scorer record and we hadn't been promoted - I thought he deserved better.

With Hylton I would have hoped he may have decided to try and prove himself at a higher level - he may not get that chance again, if he fails he would still have been picked up by a league 2 club next year, for me it shows a lack of ambition on his behalf which is not a great attribute to have.

All conjecture though - if the Luton offer blew ours out the water, then easy decision for him to make and it would suggest we weren't all that keen on keeping him.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I don't need to look at stats - I just need to watch them both play to know that Hylton was a significantly more important player for us in League 2 than Constable (though Beano was of course equally talismanic in the Conference). Now it may be that Danny had also found his level with Us (we'll never know), but how you can conclude that Beano was badly treated whereas Hylton is lacking ambition is beyond me...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

YF Dan wrote:
As regards Mullins' replacements, there's an interesting rumour on twitter about Gabby Zakuani, who I've kept an eye on since his Orient days (my Mrs used to work for the O's). A brilliant, ball-playing centre-back in his day and by all accounts a great bloke and team man. He's good value on twitter too, regularly holding Q&As for the fans and fronting up win or loss. Worth a follow whether we sign him or not.
I hope we don't sign Zakuani. A player well past his best
and I am sure there is better quality out there.

Would be annoyed if we signed him. Wasn't good enough for Peterboro!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I don't need to look at stats - I just need to watch them both play to know that Hylton was a significantly more important player for us in League 2 than Constable (though Beano was of course equally talismanic in the Conference). Now it may be that Danny had also found his level with Us (we'll never know), but how you can conclude that Beano was badly treated whereas Hylton is lacking ambition is beyond me...
I think it is difficult to be that certain about it KY.

For starters, in the League Beano was never in the fantastic side that got us promoted to L1. Had Beano been with us this season, I suspect he would have scored a hatful of goals, because of the number of chances created.

You also have to look at proportion of chances converted, number of assists, number of minutes played, number of minutes per goal, with both players in the same successful period. Stats we will never have.

I would only say both were awesome players for us and both were legendary in our return from obscurity.