RIP John

Anything yellow and blue
Andrewmaha
Brat

RIP John

Post by Andrewmaha »

Sad news received today; John aka 'Snake' has finally succumbed to his battle with cancer and he passed away peacefully yesterday at the John Radcliffe.

I took a call today from John's brother Richard but cannot be sure if fellow RO contributors have received similar messages, hence me passing on the sad news with the blessing of Richard.

RIP John, you will be missed. I'll be making a point of giving his seat at The Liberty a little pat before this season is out.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: RIP John

Post by Hog »

Sad news indeed, RIP John.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Blimey, I knew nothing of this.Very sad news. RIP.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

John fought his long and brave battle
after being diagnosed with terminal cancer back in
in 2009.He was certainly defying the odds.

I last saw him at one of the fans' forums
last summer when he looked remarkably well.

RIP John.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I didn't know the chap, but I'll miss his thought-provoking and intelligent contributions to this forum.
Last edited by tomoufc on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

tomoufc wrote:I didn't know the chap, but I'll miss his though-provoking and intelligent contributions to this forum.
Same here - his posts were always interesting reading (particularly when discussing the planning issues around Grenoble Road), and I enjoyed our occasional tangents about watching football in Wales. Strange thing with a forum - none of us ever really know much about the other contributors so news like this is always a bit of a shock. For those who did know him and his family, please relay the condolences of the forum.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

RIP John
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Sad news
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Awful news RIP Snake.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

RIP John. Always sad to hear passing of a fellow football fan.

Cancer really is a bastard. How old was John?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Snake was certainly a character on the message boards, and due to his work at the council (I think in FOI in later years) was definitely good at digging out information, such as policing bills for derby matches, also council meetings about the Kassam stadium, title deeds, lease agreements etc.

So how many clubs did he support in the end? Swansea, Oxford, Wrexham, North Leigh?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
tomoufc wrote:I didn't know the chap, but I'll miss his though-provoking and intelligent contributions to this forum.
Same here - his posts were always interesting reading (particularly when discussing the planning issues around Grenoble Road), and I enjoyed our occasional tangents about watching football in Wales. Strange thing with a forum - none of us ever really know much about the other contributors so news like this is always a bit of a shock. For those who did know him and his family, please relay the condolences of the forum.
I'd like to echo these thoughts.

RIP Snake.

The references to his cat always made me chuckle.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends. RIP Snake.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

I was talking about john only the other day, spending a couple of weeks as I am in his part of the world after the newport game.

I didn't know john that well, but he would often push me when I was on the oxvox committee, as i'm sure he did other members too, on here and in private, getting us to justify decisions or positions we'd taken. sometimes I thought he was unfair, but he wrote me a nice note when I stepped down thanking me for the work i'd put in. and it was always easier to take that kind of questioning or criticism from someone who'd put a lot of their own time into FOUL as well.

sad news indeed.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

John did so much for OUFC through his involvement in FOUL and subsequent contact with Firoz Kassam and assistance and advice given to OxVox. A very intelligent and thoughtful bloke who knew an awful lot about local authorities and local politics.

He outlasted the doctors' predictions for him by several years, but as is all too often the case, the cancer defeated him in the end.

It was a pleasure knowing you John. RIP.