Huge result

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Huge result

Post by ty cobb »

So our amazing run against Wimbledon continues - if we have to play them again we should just agree that we win one nil and give both teams a week off.

This was the most uncomfortable I had seen us at Kingstonian FC and at half time I thought we were going to do very well to come away with anything. With arguably our three best players missing, a awful pitch and a beanpole for a striker for them this is a fantastic result against a team who would have been very close to us had they won. The team selection raised some eyebrows with JB on the bench but it proved to be a masterstroke. I didn't think that many of the players had a good game, the back 5 were solid with Dunkley and Buchel standing out, but our midfield looked a bit lost at sea. The conditions didn't help, but we didn't keep hold of the ball in there and did best when we bypassed them and stuck it up to Hylts (who I thought did well) and whoever was supporting him.

I thought Ruffels looked out of his depth, he gave the ball away quite a bit (including for their goal) and didn't get in the game. In fairness, this was his first game for ages (why don't we give him 30 minutes here and there) and the pitch was awful but he didn't provide an outlet for the defence, didn't win much in the air and didn't disrupt them as much as I would hope for someone in a deep lying role. Hopefully it won't take him long to get up to speed and show why we got rid of Rose.

So to win against a team bang in form without playing that well gave me a lot of encouragement and fair play to Appleton for setting the team up for a battle and Bowery for a strike that deserved to win any game.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Huge result

Post by SmileyMan »

Accrington and Northampton both ending up with draw - after ten successive wins for the Cobblers - has brightened up the situation around us too. Who knows, maybe a strong push from us and a wobble from Wilder and we could start snapping at their heels again.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I was away on business so missed my usual trip down the road to Kingstonian, but I've just watched the 11mins of highlights on yellow player; the pitched looked terrible, and quite frankly it looks as if we shouldn't have won the game at all. But then winning games such as this is why you go up, so that's encouraging.

On the flip side, I think NTFC are due for the Wilder Wobble. They play the Dons on Tues night and will do well to win. And Accy have to play tue-sat-tue-sat more than we do between now and the end of the season, I don't think they've got the squad for that. So, maybe this saturday's game vs Plymouth could actually decide who wins the league. And with odds of us at 16/1 to do so, it might be worth a tenner. Here is hoping for Wilder's reputation to strike it large.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well I listened to the game from the family stand at Home Park, as my boys' football team (Bodmin Youth) had been invited for a Plymouth Argyle stadium tour, coaching session and match ticket package (they both wore their OUFC shirts, though I made them cover them up for the match itself)!

So this post is not so much about our win at Wimbledon as Plymouth's three points against Notts County. I was hoping to enjoy a match as a neutral, but didn't for a number of reasons:
Firstly, despite my intentions to remain impartial I couldn't help myself strongly rooting for County against our promotion rivals;
Secondly, it was a pretty turgid affair - especially the first half - though Plymouth upped their game enough to claim the win after the break;
And finally I was entirely distracted by goings-on at Kingsmeadow via the Yellow Player app on my phone and unusually uninterrupted commentary. I have been to a couple of games not involving Us before, but never one when OUFC were playing elsewhere at the same time!

So my relief at the final whistle in SW London was slightly tempered by the result of the game I was watching, but if Plymouth play like that again next week I fancy us to get a result against them. Their gameplan revolved around playing balls into the channel behind the full-backs and cutting the ball back into the box (which is where their goal came from), so Skarz and Kenny will have to be on their mettle. But their game was a little one-paced, which might have something to do with the pitch - although flat and firm enough there is hardly any grass on it at all (due to some kind of algal infection apparently), and so it cut up increasingly as the game went on.

We've got a big game tomorrow night before travelling SW of course. In fact in view of our recent home form this York match is absolutely massive...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I note that Reuben Reid came on late as a sub. Did he look fit?

Also Argyle lost a defender early on (Curtis Nelson) I recall.

Carey looks their best player.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yes Carey was definitely the pick of the Plymouth players. I assumed he'd provided their goal rather than scored it, as the cross came from the left channel that he'd been working all game. But it was up the other end of the pitch and I didn't particularly care!

Reid didn't really do much when he came on, and seemed to be jeered rather than cheered by the Plymouth fans - don't think he's flavour of the month down here for some reason. Brunt's been scoring most of their goals recently - he's a big, old-fashioned centre forward.

Yes Plymouth lost a defender to injury early on but it wasn't Nelson, who's their captain.

County were pretty poor, and only used Alan Smith (who was apparently within a hair's breadth of signing for Plymouth in January) as a late substitute. Roy Carroll is an excellent keeper at this level though, and pulled off a couple of important saves in the second half to keep his team in the game. He looked very good when we played at Meadow Lane after Christmas too, I thought - I'd have him in our team in a heartbeat.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Yes Carey was definitely the pick of the Plymouth players. I assumed he'd provided their goal rather than scored it, as the cross came from the left channel that he'd been working all game. But it was up the other end of the pitch and I didn't particularly care!

Reid didn't really do much when he came on, and seemed to be jeered rather than cheered by the Plymouth fans - don't think he's flavour of the month down here for some reason. Brunt's been scoring most of their goals recently - he's a big, old-fashioned centre forward.

Yes Plymouth lost a defender to injury early on but it wasn't Nelson, who's their captain.

County were pretty poor, and only used Alan Smith (who was apparently within a hair's breadth of signing for Plymouth in January) as a late substitute. Roy Carroll is an excellent keeper at this level though, and pulled off a couple of important saves in the second half to keep his team in the game. He looked very good when we played at Meadow Lane after Christmas too, I thought - I'd have him in our team in a heartbeat.
You are correct - it was Kelvin Mellor who was subbed off early on with a dead leg.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

recordmeister wrote:I was away on business so missed my usual trip down the road to Kingstonian, but I've just watched the 11mins of highlights on yellow player; the pitched looked terrible, and quite frankly it looks as if we shouldn't have won the game at all. But then winning games such as this is why you go up, so that's encouraging.

On the flip side, I think NTFC are due for the Wilder Wobble. They play the Dons on Tues night and will do well to win. And Accy have to play tue-sat-tue-sat more than we do between now and the end of the season, I don't think they've got the squad for that. So, maybe this saturday's game vs Plymouth could actually decide who wins the league. And with odds of us at 16/1 to do so, it might be worth a tenner. Here is hoping for Wilder's reputation to strike it large.
Blimey, it's nice to see such optimism. Pessimistic little me is just praying we can hold off Accrington and the rest for third...
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Jimski wrote:Blimey, it's nice to see such optimism. Pessimistic little me is just praying we can hold off Accrington and the rest for third...
I've decided that one of the reasons I love football is because I can indulge that bit of human nature that embraces forlorn hope with unbridled optimism against all objectve reason. I try to avoid that in all other areas of my life.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Personally I'd be quite happy to see Northampton beat Wimbledon tomorrow night. The Dons are more of a threat to our automatic promotion aspirations than the Cobblers. And especially since we surely want AFCW to beat Accrington on Saturday. I'd rather they didn't get 6 points in a week to put them back in the hunt...
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I think a draw would be a good result for Northampton - Wimbledon. The latter losing two in a row may send them spinning, and we do indeed desperately need them to beat Accrington. But yes, if someone has to win, better Northampton.