Plymouth By Train

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Plymouth By Train

Post by recordmeister »

Only bloody engineering works that weekend. This could have a big effect on the no of Us fans going, which would be a real shame for such an important match. The club should put coaches on between Tiverton Parkway and the ground to encourage more fans to make the journey.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Plymouth By Train

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The train companies have put coaches on between Tiverton Parkway and Plymouth, and it doesn't add to the journey time as they're direct and miss out the beautiful but slow section of track between Exeter and Plymouth. So shouldn't really affect anyone's travel plans at all...
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

No.

They've already substantially affected my travel plans. I live one stop from Reading and my father lives two stops from Reading. we were due to meet in Reading and get the train down but don't fancy the a 1Hr 24 min train from Reading to Tiverton followed by a 1 hour 20 min coach ride from Tiverton to Plymouth. There is a BIG difference between paying for a direct train on a leisurely sat, and having to spend over and hour of your life (just in the way THERE, not counting the way back) on a fucking coach.

How about you go to a restaurant and have a wonderful starter made by the chef in the kitchen. But then you're asked to get off and get in a transit van where you're given a Burger King meal. But all for the same price as a full two course meal in the restaurant.

That's rail replacement for you. Not the same service and utterly, utterly shit.

What was a simple journey becomes what I call a 'ball ache'. For me, and many Oxford fans, this could be a simple one change journey. Instead it's one change followed by more than an hour on a coach to get to the city, not the stadium, where we are playing.

Undoubted this will deter OUFC fans, esp those from London where it *would* have been a simple direct journey, from attending.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree about the replacement bus thing at no discount to the fare I think you're being a bit optimistic to expect OUFC to sort it out for you!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So you're not going to go to a top of the table clash because you have to sit on a coach for an hour, instead of a slow train, which adds no time to the journey.

Honestly!

Our poor players are going to be on a coach all the way there and back - must be awful!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The journey takes roughly the same time from Reading, it's just a bit of a faff having to change for the coaches.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

If the Plymouth train situation drove you mad, Joel, wait till you look up trains to Carlisle when we play there.

An absolute joke. The last train home that day, I kid you not, leaves at 16.28.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/promotion.aspx#184731

There is a £15 deal on SW Trains which could be useful if travelling from Exeter, Portsmouth etc to Wembley or London.