OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Exeter City 1-4 Oxford Utd

Post by OUFC4eva »

United bounced back in style as they returned to winning ways
at a sparsely populated SJP, despite boss Tisdale's 500th match
in charge.

United looked well balanced with the return of O'Dowda
wide left and a fresh MacDonald back on song on the right.
The gifted Maguire played more centrally along side
the enigmatic Bowery up top.Exeter allowed Lunny to play
with freedom in the middle of the park.

United are at their best when they play the ball into feet with speed
and with COD and Macca breaking well they soon got on top
although Dunkley was surprisingly the scorer of the first goal
heading in Macca's centre past Olejnik. A surging run
from Lundstram opened up the City defence and Bowery
was able to slot home before a freekick from Maguire
whistled past an upright.

United added further headed goals from Bowery and MacDonald
in the second half which saw several cries of Tisdale Out!
from the disgruntled home fans on the big bank.
Alex Nicholls drove in a consolation after Sercombe missed
a tackle on the edge of the box but City were well beaten.

United rung the chances late on with Ismael, Evans
and Waring given run outs.Waring saw an effort
bounce off the cross bar near the end.

A good night with the only concerns, again, surrounding
Buchel who drops crosses with alarming regularity
and a lack of aerial ability up top. Sercs still not back
to his form of two months ago, maybe.
Dunkley had a fine game though and Chris
Maguire looks a class act at this level.
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Exeter City 1-4 Oxford

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I thought Sercombe improved as the game went on, indicating that fitness might not be an issue for him. Others tired more obviously, however, not least Kenny and Lundstram - both young lads who are just getting used to playing at this intensity twice a week. Shame we couldn't use more than three subs, as at 4-0 up it would have been nice to rest a few more.

Exeter were very, very poor, and as well as the calls for Tisdale's head they were booed off at half time and on the final whistle. We took full advantage, however, and got back to winning ways in some style. I haven't seen the last few home games so can't compare this performance, but we certainly did the basics well. In fact it was roles reversed from the first half on Boxing Day, as Exeter tried to play from the back and we pressured them into making mistakes time and again.

We did get a bit sloppy briefly at 4-0 up, and almost conceded two in quick succession, but we re-asserted ourselves and finished on the front foot. It would have been harsh on Buchel if his attempted clearance had ricocheted back into the net off Dunkley (I thought it had), but he had a bit of a shaky night generally, twice coming for crosses which were too deep, and might have given away a penalty trying to retrieve the situation on one occasion.

Anyway, an enjoyable night all round. The pub near the away end has gone upmarket - not always a good thing but it still had a decent pint on. And they've moved the away seats across the pitch into a modern stand with decent views. It was quite a novelty actually being able to see what was going on at St James Park!
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re: Exeter City 1-4 Oxford Utd

Post by amershamwrighty »

I agree. I wondered whether we could have been a bit more ruthless, particularly when 4-0 up. in addition I suspect that 3 substitutions in a fairly short space of time might have upset the rhythm and contributed to a slightly shaky spell in the last 20 minutes or so.

It was indeed a good day all round. Not just winning comfortably but the overall matchday experience : easy to park 5 minutes walk away, comfortable and friendly supporters' club, low-key stewarding and away seating so much better than in the old stand opposite.