Bring me sunshine...

Anything yellow and blue
Mr T
Brat

Bring me sunshine...

Post by Mr T »

A most enjoyable trip to the Lancashire coast this afternoon, and a welcome 3 points. Signs that we are considered different this season by the home side was evident before the weekend when we were allowed access to the rarely opened away terrace, and a healthy 536 gathered amongst a total of 1,749, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. The pitch looked dodgy in places, in particular along the main stand flank. First half we looked in total control, but then a great chip from Lee Molyneux who was then instantly subbed as he had indicated that he had a groin strain moments before his run to score. Difficult to tell if Benji was to blame with his positioning, but he had a comfortable afternoon otherwise. Even Mr Ellison was kept relatively quiet (thank goodness!). After the customary 'best pie in football' we settled down to savour the yellows attacking the away end, and they did not disappoint. Though many would cite their red card as a turning point, we were already in control, and the fact that Barry Roche was named MOM, despite letting in 4, indicates how big a margin it could/should have been. Jim Bentley's comment on Radio Lancs afterwards that they shaded the first half was one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. We looked confident and in control throughout, and but for a bit more quality, could have come away with a really healthy GD. Now for the Cobblers, which should be a hell of a game on current form for both sides...
Bring back the black away shirt!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Bring me sunshine...

Post by Jimski »

Yes, a very enjoyable game, but I was starting to get a little agitated before the red card completely changed the game. We'd had more chances, but were also looking a little casual, and had had a distinctly dodgy spell following their equaliser in the first half. It could still have gone either way with 11 v 11, I felt. But a very much needed win ahead of a very difficult looking sequence of games.

Lundstram was superb, I felt.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Away form is good - nine wins so far on the road and this was achieved on a terrible
pitch by all accounts. Delighted with the three points and can't wait for Tuesday night.
Hope Roofe's injury is not too serious.

COYY
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The red card was the turning point, good to see four different goal scorers, shows our strength in depth. Was that marstons pub there last year? Looked identical to the new one at Dagenham. A few results went our way in the challenge for auto promotion rather than the play offs , even though the top two won.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

And we scored from corners! Will wonders never cease!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

A great win, an important three points and sounded like a good game. But we still conceded two poor goals and only really put the game to bed against ten men. Call me Mr Glass Half-Empty, but I'm nervous about tomorrow.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Listening to RadOx they made it sound like Morecambe's two goals were Buchel blunders, but watchging the highlights I can't see that he did much wrong for their second. Not quite sure how he got beaten for their first but the camera angle isn't great. Just a wonder strike maybe?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Listening to RadOx they made it sound like Morecambe's two goals were Buchel blunders, but watchging the highlights I can't see that he did much wrong for their second. Not quite sure how he got beaten for their first but the camera angle isn't great. Just a wonder strike maybe?
If I was being hyper-critical (which I am not), it could be argued that with the first goal, when their player got anywhere near the penalty box the goalie should have been getting back closer to the goal-line, but I prefer the wonder strike argument. It reminded me of a goal Defoe scored against us while on loan at Bournemouth many, many years ago. As for the second, the more I see it, the more I feel that if he was at fault, it was that he failed to block it at source, rather than letting it past him to reach the striker to score - but I feel even that is being very harsh.

Maybe the level of criticism is explained by the fact that this came a few days after a game where we conceded two goals where Slocombe was more clearly at fault - and thus anything other than a flawless display from Buchel would inevitably, but sadly, lead to some asking if we need a new Number 1.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

Barry Roche conceded 4, but I don't think he'll be dropped for Morecambe's next game! How we didn't get 6 or 7...
Bring back the black away shirt!