Grumpy old git

Oxford United v Blackburn Rovers - the Spirit of '64

Post by OUFC4eva »

COYY !
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Oxford United v Blackburn Rovers - the Spirit of '64

Post by OUFC4eva »

Official - match now sold out for Oxford Utd fans.
Blackburn had sold all but 100 earlier today.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's a repeat of my first ever Oxford match, a 1-0 defeat in the 4th round of the Cup on the same day, 30 January, in 1985. Hopefully we can get revenge for that!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

The winners of that 1985 FA Cup clash, Blackburn, drew Man.Utd in the next round.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

OUFC4eva wrote:The winners of that 1985 FA Cup clash, Blackburn, drew Man.Utd in the next round.
So what are you saying - that if we beat Blackburn we will draw Derby in the next round?!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Nice one!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Two things strike me about that photo:

1) Seems like it was bl##dy cold
and 2) not quite so much care was taken on the kit with two V-necked shirts among the round necked ones....

Can anyone put names to the faces....
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I'll have a go!

Back row:

Pat Quartermain , Ron Atkinson, Maurice Kyle, Tony Jones, Harry Fearnley, Cyril Beavon, John Shuker,
Arthur Turner.

Front row:

Colin Harrington, Keith Havenhand, Alan Willey, Bill Calder, Arthur Longbottom, Peter Knight.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Just in case you missed it elsewhere ...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... rs-swansea

Nice article with some new info
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Well I left Grenoble Road feeling very flat last night.

United were simply outplayed by a more robust, organised,
streetwise Rovers from start to finish.

United never really turned up but were stopped in their tracks
from playing their normal passing game. Rovers out worked United
with their incessant closing down and pressed us high up the pitch.
No one in yellow did themselves justice and it was gutting
to see George Baldock leave the arena. Thanks George
for being a top player and professional!

We just could not play and build from midfield. Let's put it behind us but learn
lessons for the rest of the season.

COYY
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes it showed we still have a long way to go - and that wasn't even a top Championship side. Callum too - I can't see a club in that league wanting him on that showing.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Agree with all that. I don't know whether Blackburn had done their homework on us or whether their usual style of play just happened to be so effective against Us, but we never had a look-in. To say we lost the midfield battle would be to understate their dominance. In fact there was no battle. Sercs did his best to bring the ball forwards out of the middle but Lundstram was completely overrun, as perfectly demonstrated by their second goal.

Those blaming the ref were surely having a laugh. He was a bit weak, but didn't get any major decisions wrong. In fact I was surprised to see Skarz not get a card for the penalty and relieved that Mullins only saw yellow early on.

The game was not played at a fast tempo, but Bowery still looked well off the pace of it. A very poor showing from him and we looked a bit better once Hylton came on. Nobody played well (although Slocombe didn't do much wrong) but COD was particularly poor. Kenny was maybe too keen to impress in his brief debut - he certainly didn't!

But it was one of those, and we move on...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

We had too many players not on their A game, coupled with a well organised Blackburn side who had done their homework and came with a plan that they stuck too. End result we were properly outplayed and can have no complaints about the result.

Ignoring some of the poor refereeing decisions, letting Blackburn players get away with continuous fouls breaking up our play. They would not have affected the game outcome in my view.

I don't think the Rovers keeper had a single save to make in anger, which shows how well they marshalled our attacks.

All three goals were soft though.

With my yellow tinted on, I didn't think it was a penalty (or perhaps didn't want to think it was), but the video replay leaves no doubt. It was an unnecessary penalty to give away.

The free kick that led to the third goal, well it was poor to give away a free kick in that position, but even so, Slocombe gave far too much room on that side. It wasn't even a powerful kick, or severe bend on the ball, just placed a yard inside the post at easily saveable height. Poor keeping.

When we had the ball, our real danger men immediately had to contend with three players surrounding them. Blackburn worked really hard to close us down very quickly, allowing us no space or time on the ball, and that is a big difference between Championship and League 2.

No one should feel downhearted. We have reached the fourth round of the FA Cup, which is something the club has not done for a while and not done very often in our history. We lost to a decent side 2 divisions above us. It was the expected result, and for us to even have taken the game to a replay would have been regarded as an upset.

We will need to play better against Millwall though to make sure we get to Wembley.

On the plus side as well, results went well for us yesterday. we could do with Accrington starting to lose a few games, but our chances of automatic promotion went up a notch yesterday.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

GY - Rovers were well marshalled, Ben Marshall,their no.10
was terrific at right full back. What a talent. Some superb
passes and two goals.

Predict he will be sold very soon!
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

agree with all that - first time i think i've seen Us this season where we haven't managed to lay a glove on our opponents.

again we struggled against a physical side, but rovers' had a bit more again. thought rovers' centre backs were particularly good. their keeper had one save to make from sercombe's shot, but otherwise we created little, and unusually didn't really have much play around their area.

hey, we've had a good cup run, we enjoyed it, but it's over now. we've got an exciting second leg in the jpt to look to next week, and a very exciting league campaign we need to focus on. seeing our side outplayed in that way for (i think) the first time this season, the loss of baldock - reasons why we might feel a bit flat as supporters. i do think the second leg has some real dangers for Us - in my view we were lucky not to concede in the first leg from milwall's corners, and we were certainly lucky with our first goal - but if we can refocus quickly and get to wembley, that will be a real achievement. once that's out of the way, i have to say i will be glad that we can spend some time hopefully trying to rack up a good haul of points in the league. i have faith in the club's recruitment these days that even if baldock's departure leads Us weakened, we'll find a good replacement, and that we'll use some of this cup money to strengthen the squad further.

my hat off too to baldock's contribution to our season. we were discussing before the game his influence on our game, but i have to say if we were going to lose someone, i think a right back is easier to replace than say the kind of influence sercrombe or lundstrum have. if kenny can prove a good defensive player, then i think we'll be fine, and as i say, these days i feel much more confident in the players the club bring in. sure we'll miss the number of attacks baldock helped launch from the wing, but that always felt a bit of a luxury to me. the centre midfield duo is the critical one in this side for me.