Notts to be sniffed at

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Notts to be sniffed at

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Woo-hoo! What a great day out. A microcosm of our season so far though really. We murdered (and I mean absolutely murdered) them first half but only had a penalty to show for it. Then we murdered them some more but found ourselves losing with 11 minutes to go after some nervous and lazy defending. Then we murdered them even more and ran out comfortable winners. 31 shots on goal! But still we snatched victory from the jaws of disappointment. Crazy stuff.

There's no room for complacency - we've no divine right to go up this year however well we're playing. But it was a real joy to watch today. Superb stuff, and a grandstand finish.

Play like that next week and we might even give Swansea a run for their money.

COYY
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re: Notts to be sniffed at

Post by Shoobedoo »

I have to say I'm not a frequent attender of away games (that was my first this season), but that was the most enjoyable awayday I've had with the U's since Crewe in 1996. Some of the football we played was absolutely magnificent, was like watching a team playing in easy mode in FIFA!

Plus the fact that we actually had the metal to dig ourselves out of our self-inflicted hole with 15 minutes to go speaks volumes about the resilience of the side.

Our two Achilles heels were fully on show though - high balls into our box, and profligacy up front (we score four, and I'm moaning about wasting chances!! :roll: ). Sort those issues out and we'll win the league, no question.

Still buzzing from that game 48 hours on. Amazing.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Notts to be sniffed at

Post by Matt D »

yes, that was a LOT of fun. this had shades of crawley away in our conference promotion season for me - a win whose manner makes you believe it might be your season.

high balls into the box - well, notts county were the first team that really demonstrated to me our weakness there. again, we had to come back against them in this game. the other problem on show in this game that we've seen a lot of this season was a propensity to look for another pass or work an even better opening - rather than just shooting. when you're that dominant against league two defences, i'd rather see us shooting more frequently. but, hey, looking for the extra pass is probably one of the reasons our football is so attractive to watch at the moment.

still, if we hadn't let them back into the game, it wouldn't have been quite so memorable. what a tremendous spirit the team showed.

interesting to read the county chairman's notes about paul beasley mentions in his write up. he writes there that he's realised that trying to play your way out of this division doesn't work. hope it does - and I wonder if he still thinks that after that game?