Oxford U v Exeter City

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Oxford U v Exeter City

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/E ... story.html

Old friendships put aside says Tisdale as United
take on old foes Exeter City at Grenoble Rd on Boxing Day.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Oxford U v Exeter City

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/8 ... story.html

Just seven United wins in 37 against the Grecians.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yeah! Finally laid the bogey now? I had to meet with three City fan friends afterwards who felt we would have won even in Donkley had been sent off. They loved Lundstram and Baldock and were amazed that Sercs was now a star who scored a lot and even took pens - apparently he was in and out of their side and often played on the wing. What a second half. Imagine how good we would have been with Hylton.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Was quite bitty first half, after last week's result vs Wycombe, I'd been expecting Wright and Slocombe to return for Dunkley and Buchel. For family reasons, Buchel didn't play, which solved the second one. Dunkley seems a bit of a liability doing anything other than blocking and clearing. With the ball at his feet, he takes too long to work out what to do with it and gives the opposition time to close our options down or he rushes a poor clearance. I felt Skarz in the back four had lost confidence in him too, preferring long balls bypassing Dunkley and on to Baldock. Dunkley's yellow followed by the near second yellow just before half time forced Appleton's hand. Appleton I feel is too nice sometimes, meaning that a player has to lose his place, rather than a more experienced player on the bench regain it. Here we saw Mullins come on for the second half, and the back four just seemed more relaxed knocking the ball around to each other and forward.

Three good goals, Lundstrams looked like it was going wide of the post from my viewpoint on the mid-left of the East Stand. Luckily as the shot hit the ground just before the post, it picked up pace and swerved in to the net as if it was Shane Warne's ball of the century.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yeah the first half was scrappy. I was just pleased we went in at 0-0 and with eleven players on the pitch. The second half was a marked improvement, and we might have won by more in the end but for some selfish play by Roofe.

Dunkley might have been lucky not to see red, but I don't blame him entirely - he was left exposed time and again early on by Baldock, Wright and the midfield. Indeed our entire defensive unit looked all at sea in the first 45 minutes, overplaying when in possession - when the conditions suggested a more no-nonsense approach might have been preferable - and backing off when Exeter had it. Luckily they weren't quite sharp enough to take advantage.

We immediately looked more comfortable when Wright and Mullins were reunited, and I hope they get a run of games together now. Lundstram, who was as guilty as anyone of not playing to the conditions in the first half, absolutely bossed the midfield after the break, and it was nice to see Sercs get a goal against his former club.

A much needed return to winning ways - more of the same on my first visit to Huish Park tomorrow please!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Donkley - brilliant :roll:
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Werthers Original wrote:Yeah! Finally laid the bogey now?

Indeed, United's first football league win over the Grecians in Oxford since Saturday 29.03.1980 when goals from
Les Taylor and Peter Foley saw Bill Asprey's U's triumph 2-0 at the Manor in front of a paltry attendance of
2,910. Ben Nevis won the Grand National that day, The Jam were at number one with Going Underground,
a pint of beer cost 35p and the second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, was about to be released.

United:

Burton

McIntosh Briggs Cooke Watson

McGrogan Taylor Jeffrey Brock

Foley Berry

Sub: M.Jones