The "University Derby"

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

The "University Derby"

Post by GodalmingYellow »

We are now 37% through the season. Enough for a reasonable idea of what has happened and where we are going.

Its great isn't it? Being near the top.

We've got the 5th best defensive record and the 3rd best striking record. We've conceded less than all bar 3 of the top 7, and we are the top scorers in the top 7. We are 2nd in the form table and 2nd in league position.

However, for me, there remains just a slight lingering concern (many years of supporting the Us) that we don't put enough teams to bed early on in matches, that we don't convert 1 goal leads into 2 or 3 goal leads, especially given our regular dominance of opponents in general play. A lack of killer instinct you might say.

Looking at our top scorers for the league gives a slight hint at why this might be the case.

Sercombe 7
Roofe 7
Hylton 4
O'Dowda 3
Taylor 3
Baldock 1
Lundstram 1
MacDonald 1
Hoban 1

So few conversions from our traditional strikers. In fairness that list is a little unfair as Roofe has played in a striker role on a number of occasions, but ignoring that, 8 goals in total from our 3 primary recognised strikers in 17 matches is not a good effort.

I'm not really reaching much of a conclusion here, as it is great to have goals coming from a variety of sources for a change, but I do think our strikers have to step up to the plate and score much more regularly in the league, and I think that is the only slight thing holding us back from a destiny of glory this season, which we will probably achieve anyway.

It was same old against Cambridge. We really should have seen this side off in the first half. We created plenty of chances, but didn't convert them. Cambridge are a mid-table mediocre league 2 side.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The "University Derby"

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I don't disagree with this, but would point out that:
• Taylor is coming into form - I like many was fairly dubious about him, but he has scored some good quality goals in recent weeks. It is good to see an Oxford striker who seems able to head an ordinary cross into the net (Stevenage, Braintree)
• I suspect Hoban is not good enough, and that MApp's patience may be wearing thin.
• Hylton is one of those players whose energy and commitment mean that if he was also a reliable finisher, he would be playing at a higher level. With Danny, you know what you are going to get over a season, but not in any particular game.

I would also be keen to do what we can to reduce the risk from aerial bombardment. Particularly at Grenoble Rd, the visiting coaches will recognise that we are too quick and increasingly too strong to get outplayed, and too cute to get caught on the break, so the Cambridge tactic is their best option. This applies particularly with the team which has a long-throw expert (as per Barnet). Do we play Dunkley as a first choice instead of Wright / Mullins for some games? Do we try to minimise corners / throw-ins? Can we get away with attacking the ball better as it comes into the box? Or is Büchel (by whom I was impressed) part of the answer?