FGR at home

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

FGR at home

Post by joepoolman »

So, beat two Conference sides at home and we're into the 3rd round, I don't think we can have too many complaints with that. The fact that Forest Green are going well may play into our hands (if we get through), they may be more likely to come and play Us at our own game rather than coming to stop us playing.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: FGR at home

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/s ... ohn_Light/

Hope Dunks is given the job of marking Jon 'the beast' Parkin
on Sunday.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see their recent top-of-the-table clash against Cheltenham was labelled 'El Glosico' - lol. It will be a tough challenge on Sunday and I reckon they'll be well up for it. I hope we're on our game - I know the league is everything this year but I really fancy a nice 3rd round tie...

I didn't realise Dale Vince was FGR chairman now. Interesting guy - I used to buy my electricity off him (as it were).
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

He's been chairman there since 2010 :mrgreen:
Where have you been Kernow Yellow? ;)
Joking aside, should be a really good game. Wonder what sort of crowd we are looking at?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SWA wrote:He's been chairman there since 2010 :mrgreen:
Where have you been Kernow Yellow? ;)
I've certainly not had to worry about what Forest Green Rovers were doing since 2010 8) - long may that continue!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

So, who would you like out of the Hat on Monday night?

For me it's Man U. away and the million quid plus that comes with it, or Salford City or Whitehawk at home to maximise the chance of getting to the 4th Round.

Worst draw = Scunthorpe away.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

To be honest I'm just delighted to be in the draw. Early Jan is good for me in terms of getting to games, so I'll go anywhere - even Scunthorpe away! My first preference would be a ground I've never been to, and there are still plenty of them in the Premier League, so anywhere in Liverpool, Manchester or Tyne and Wear would be lovely. A big ground would also be nice for showing my kids that watching OUFC can be glamorous!

But it really is all about the league this year, so a plum draw would just be a bonus. I'll be glued to the telly though...
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Home to anyone, really. Ideally top-flight or Eastbourne.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Jimski wrote:Home to anyone, really. Ideally top-flight or Eastbourne.
Er...Eastleigh, methinks.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Heh, yeah, brain freeze.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I have to say that 'home to Eastleigh' would be very, very low down on my wishlist of FA Cup 3rd Round draws!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I have to say that 'home to Eastleigh' would be very, very low down on my wishlist of FA Cup 3rd Round draws!
On the other hand, a 'more straightforward' draw means a greater chance of picking up the prize money for winning a 3rd round tie and, barring a multitude of upsets, a greater chance of drawing a big team in the 4th round AS WELL. Why does Round 3 have to be the big payday?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Dr Bob wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:I have to say that 'home to Eastleigh' would be very, very low down on my wishlist of FA Cup 3rd Round draws!
On the other hand, a 'more straightforward' draw means a greater chance of picking up the prize money for winning a 3rd round tie and, barring a multitude of upsets, a greater chance of drawing a big team in the 4th round AS WELL. Why does Round 3 have to be the big payday?
The prize for winning a third round tie is only £67,500, and besides, it’s unlikely Chelsea will be in the 4th round so less big fish to pull :lol:
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Dr Bob wrote:
For that matter, why has "big payday" become the be-all-and-end-all of the cup at all? Football's not about money, otherwise we'd just watch Manchester City's bank statements for 90 minutes every week. I want Oxford to be at home in every round to the worst side in the draw, until such time as they can get to Wembley and win the ruddy thing.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Any team with an older stadium in the Premier League will do me, Arsenal would be good too. The main fun of it is the day out, and dreaming of doing what Bradford did last season. The money is a nice bonus though if you're honest.

Knowing our luck with cup draws we'll end up with one of the Sheffield clubs or Charlton away!