FGR at home

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: FGR at home

Post by Werthers Original »

We were saying Scunthorpe away is likely, or Rochdale or Sheff Utd.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

French : déjà, already + vu, seen :roll:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Pretty much the worst possible draw. They'll probably have enough quality to beat us, and they'll bring enough fans to fill the Kassam, and that'll be it for the year.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

No a great draw! A beatable premier league team on a bad run!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

SmileyMan wrote:Pretty much the worst possible draw. They'll probably have enough quality to beat us, and they'll bring enough fans to fill the Kassam, and that'll be it for the year.
?? Have I missed something ?? They'll probably bring a lot of fans - good, money in the coffers. That'll be it for the year - well maybe, but there is the small matter of the promotion campaign to keep us amused. Were you being ironic?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I think there were at least a couple of dozen worse draws we could have had!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I think it's a good tie all things considered and Swansea will
allow us to play so it should be a good open game.

Hopefully Oxford will sell out for this tie and earn a few quid and it could be televised.

The question is will Garry Monk still be in charge of the Swans come January 2016?
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

I hope to make it up from... Swansea. Here's hoping it's not a Sunday game.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

OUFC4eva wrote:I think it's a good tie all things considered and Swansea will
allow us to play so it should be a good open game.

Hopefully Oxford will sell out for this tie and earn a few quid and it could be televised.

The question is will Garry Monk still be in charge of the Swans come January 2016?
Less than a 5% chance as it stands now.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Radley Rambler wrote:...money in the coffers...
Yes, but an away fixture at a Premiership ground would have been a lot more. We're still short a side!
That'll be it for the year
I obviously just meant the knockout competition. I'm one of those odd people that still likes the FA Cup, and contrary to the well-established myth of 'now we can concentrate on the league' the statistics show that we do better in the league when we go further in the cups. I've also seen Oxford teams go on seriously bad runs of form after losing a close cup tie, and we're approaching the danger point of the season.

Imagine the confidence boost from beating a top League 1 or Championship side. Instead we'll get a dodgy refereeing decision and go down 1-0 to a team that shouldn't even be in the English cup at all.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Radley Rambler wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:Pretty much the worst possible draw. They'll probably have enough quality to beat us, and they'll bring enough fans to fill the Kassam, and that'll be it for the year.
?? Have I missed something ?? They'll probably bring a lot of fans - good, money in the coffers. That'll be it for the year - well maybe, but there is the small matter of the promotion campaign to keep us amused. Were you being ironic?
I reckon 900 away fans.

Form not good, manager ten to one to be sacked in the Prem next, and the more important matter of missing out on next year’s TV cash to concentrate on, so they won’t risk using the best of their squad.

The other positive is that this game is nailed on for live TV coverage.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/s ... d-away/#14
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

joepoolman wrote: The main fun of it is the day out, and dreaming of doing what Bradford did last season.
Exactly this. We're a League 2 side, we're not going to win the FA Cup. But we could have some fun along the way. What's the point hoping for easy draws and delaying the glamour ties? They might never come. Give me Man Utd away now, even if it means a 99.5% chance of not progressing. The Cup is a chance to visit a stadium you otherwise wouldn't get to go to, and preferably sampling a different kind of atmosphere from a League 2 game (be that at a mega-stadium or a Northern League park ground). We get to play at home every other week, why wish for it again when we could be playing at Anfield?

So Swansea at home is relatively uninspiring, though it should draw a good gate to the Kasstad which will be nice. Better than Yeovil at home again, that's for sure. And I suppose it's a decent chance of making Round 4 :mrgreen: