Braintree Town

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Braintree Town

Post by Geoff »

I love the F.A.Cup! Apart from providing the occasional shock it can also provide much needed revenue. Although we need to rotate some of the squad tomorrow for good reasons, I hope we remain strong enough to progress at the first attempt. Braintree don't concede many but don't score freely either so I can't see they'll be any stronger than some the League Two sides we've recently put to the sword.It's the attitude that will be important (see Notts County) because our skill and stamina aren't in question.

See you all there (but I probably won't recognise you).

Braintree Town 1 - Oxford United 3. (Where's The Hat when you need it.)
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Braintree Town

Post by OUFC4eva »

North Essex/south Suffolk - a veritable feast for real ale lovers?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

We were pretty poor, largely due to the line up changes and effectively use of a second string, which I found rather disrespectful to the opposition and the Cup. fair enough to do it for the JPT, but not this grand old competition, which has proper prize money for progression.

It was clear early on that the team selected had had very little time together. We had none of the usual free flowing one touch football that has become a highlight of this season. And Braintree, all credit to them, had done their homework and closed us down from the off. The result was that Braintree had the better of the opening exchanges, and we gave the ball away far too much, showing little composure on the ball.

After 5 minutes or so, we began to assert our authority and higher league position and for most of the rest of the half we were if not dominant, then strongly on top. The goal was pretty decent. O'Dowda was found out wide left, he swung in a cross to Taylor, whose decent header from maybe 10 yards out, gave the keeper little chance.

We created quite a few more chances in the first half too, including another for Taylor who rather poorly did not get his shot on target.

In the second half, more lethargy and lack of work rate allowed Braintree to begin dominating a little. Panic passing from our players when closed down quickly frequently resulted in being dispossessed or playing a long ball to no one in particular. Eventually they managed to find some space amongst our less than organised back line, to score a goal that was probably deserved.

Mullins was sent off for a 2nd bookable and when down to 10 men, we began to improve again, forcing Braintree back, but we were not quite cute enough to make the final ball count.

In the closing stages, Hoban was through one on one with the keeper, and for some bizarre reason chose to shoot to the keeper's near post, when the far post would have been a certain goal. The keeper saved it. Then 2 minutes later and he repeated the same mistake again. I would imagine his time at the club must be coming to a decision point for the management. If I were being generous, I would say that he should consider an extended period on loan at National League level to find out if he might be capable of more. He is certainly not League 2 standard, and would be way out of his depth in League 1, which is perhaps the more salient point.

O'Dowda was probably our MoM. Gayle did OK and was peharps better going forward than defending, regularly overlapping with O'Dowda and their interchanges resulted in our best play generally.

Skarz was a bit fish out of water at centre back. He did OK but nothing more.

Baldock didn't have his best game in the first half, frequently giving the ball away in dangerous areas, but he improved in the 2nd period.

Rose played in the middle alongside Lundstrom. Neither were great. Lundstrom's main quality appears to be his long range passing, but for a central midfielder, he doesn't make enough tackles, or disrupt play enough. Rose was OK for 75 minutes, but tailed off later in the game.

Macca and O'Dowda switched wings too often. O'Dowda had a lot of success taking players on. Macca less so.

Hoban played the whole game but did very little to identify reasons to justify his place in the team. Taylor did OK without being superb. Some of his lay offs when played into feet, were very good and split the opposition defence, but for me, his work rate isn't enough.

The subs were largely ineffective and should have been made much earlier to have an impact.

Overall, both sides got what they deserved from the match. Buchel made a good save towards the end to keep us in the draw and prevent a major embarrassment.

Ref was strangely picky over some offences (shirt pulling being the main one) and lack on others (such as leading with the arm and tackling from behind). Mullins was a little hard done by, but having previously been booked unreasonably, he should have taken more care with his clumsy challenge resulting in the second yellow. The ref didn't really affect the outcome though.

So the result of fielding a weakened side is that we have to do it all again a week on Tuesday, which is just what we didn't need, and for the JPT match on Wednesday, Dunkley will be our only recognised centre back unless Wright makes a speedy recovery. I hope Appleton takes the replay a bit more seriously.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

To be fair, some of our changes were enforced. The makeshift defence (two fullbacks at CB) reminded me of those cup games against Gateshead and Wrexham the other year. It was our fighting spirit that saw us through then. Let's hope for more of the same. A replay's not ideal, but when was the last time that we lost at home to a non-league team in the cup? Or indeed to a team in a lower division that Us? Genuine question - I can't remember it happening since I've been following Us.

I was surprised by the low attendance - only 789 home fans! Their Conference average isn't much lower than that.

And its quite handy that our suspensions come in the Tinpot Trophy. Every cloud etc...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Yes the gate was really disappointing - it seemed like the town of Braintree was asleep
Did the club (BTFC) even market the game ? - but it was a good cup tie nonetheless.
I doubt United's share of the gate would cover the costs of travel and a pre match meal
to deepest darkest Essex. Who managed to find the ground easily?

United were technically far superior to their National League opponents but
the hosts did not give up and each player in orange and blue looked to be out
on their feet for long periods of the second half. United were indebted to Buchel
who pulled off a good save from the last kick of the game.

I thought Mullins was harshly booked for a second "offence" - the referee was too far away and
couldn't wait to send off our skipper.Contrary to GY I was impressed with Skarz who looked
very decent at centre back and cruised through the game. Gayle worried me in the second half
- he's quite good on the ball but does not appear to be that good in the air to play
centrally at the back.Thought Rose worked hard but lacked quality and gave it away cheaply.
Lundstram looks a quality player and I enjoy watching him play as I do the team at the moment.
Buchel despite his stop at the death seemed to treat the ball like a bar of soap - this worries
me and he flapped at a cross and a high ball into the box.

O'Dowda was destroying his full back all afternoon and looks to be improving, fast, each week.
MacDonald flitted in and out frustratingly.

The conundrum is of course what to do about Hoban.Non stop effort and commitment, some
good link play but he misses goals for fun.When Taylor played him in delightfully, he surely should have gone low
across Norris into the other corner? Not sure Hoban can be coached to score goals at this level and I doubt
he would get into Braintree's starting eleven.He gets up for headers too but lacks conviction for me.

Listen to a good interview with the Braintree Town manager who said we were a marvellous team - the best he has played and managed against.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p037jwtd
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I thought Appleton's interview was very telling regarding Hoban. Whilst he didn't name him, he said that the fringe players have to show they're up to it when called upon and that for strikers that 'means scoring goals'. Taylor has notched three now (which is about average for him over his career at 1 in 6) and he is also bringing a lot to the general team performance. Hoban though keeps on missing chances, you can only be unlucky for so long. I desperately want him to do well because you can see it means a lot to him but football's a tough paymaster and I think he could go in January.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So the replay's tomorrow night. When was the last time that OUFC played a competitive match at the same time as the England football team? I can't remember it happening - any takers? (And no-one's yet taken up my challenge to name the last time we lost a cup tie at home to non-league or even lower-league opposition either).

Speaking of the England game, I'm finding it hard enough to think about football with any seriousness at the moment - imagine what it will be like for those at Wembley tomorrow. Allez Les Jaunes, Vive La France!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I think Kettering Town were the last non league team to win an FA Cup
in Oxford. You have to go back to November 1976.Derek Dougan
got the Kettering winner.

We of course came close two years ago to being knocked out by Gateshead.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Quite a bit of pressure on this one, not least on the financial side of things. Beating two non League teams at home means going into the Hat with the big fish, but no one expects a Dorchester Town type scoreline these days in the Cup.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Only £10 a pop. I'll be there rather than watching England v France
in a probable TV borefest.

The first match against Braintree was decent and I feel we have more than enough quality
to beat them. O'Dowda must play for sure. I'd play Hylts too.

"Appy" must pick a good team as they will be competitive.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Is O'Dowda back from international duty then? I thought he was still unavailable.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Winds of over 50mph forecast! If ever there was an incentive to keep the ball on the floor... Or maybe Braintree will be launching it up the field in the hope of a freaky goal?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

O'Dowda is indeed back - I obviously got confused.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Sorry Braintree, you missed your chance against the weakened side. Even at a goal down we didn't look in any danger of not progressing to the next round.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A professional job well done. Good team selection, respect for our National League
opponents and some good football played in what I would say were the worst conditions
I have seen a game played in. Have to say the ref got conned into giving Braintree two penalties
from where I was sitting. The second award was scandalous.