The U's v The Dons

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

The U's v The Dons

Post by OUFC4eva »

Some familiar faces could line up again United on Saturday with Karleigh Osborne, Dannie Bulman,
Sean Rigg and Jon Meades featuring in recent games for AFC Wimbledon.
Let's hope for a good gate - I am going for 7,000 !
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: The U's v The Dons

Post by OUFC4eva »

George Baldock's low 25 yard strike gives the U's a hard fought win over AFC Wimbledon.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Rigg looked good didn't he? I'd rather have him than Macdonald, I think. Wimbledon were better than expected but the two sides cancelled each other out and there didn't seem to be a natural goalscorer on the pitch. Cee-Lo Green looks even fatter than ever!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Wimbledon were better than I expected for the first 20 or so minutes, playing good passing football and looking very dangerous going forward. But then their niggly shoves, blocks and spoiling tactics took over. We struggled to get a grip, but their attacking threat fell away. In the second half, I thought we came much more into the game as an attacking force, as Wimbledon failed to restart playing football, but also seemed to back off a bit. Only when Akinfenwa came on did they look a threat again.

That said, how many clear cut chances did we create? And I could not believe how much space they gave Baldock. Great shot, of course, but kind of them to invite it.

That was my first sight of Jordan Graham. In the first half he was superb. Fell away in bit in the second, but a talented lad with huge potential.

Overall, it was certainly slightly after the Lord Mayor's show (even down to the horse manure in the car park), but a game against robust opponents where a result had to be won through attrition. In that sense, it was a massive win.

Interesting to see that photo of Osborne in his Oxford days. Tell me - do they even make black football boots any more?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I thought Rigg looked OK - a bit of the ex-winger-who-has-lost-a-bit-of-pace about him: tidy, but not very threatening. I too was surprised that Wimbledon resorted so quickly to the niggly stuff - I wonder why? It would help the game as a spectacle hugely if referees clamped down on the shirt-pulling (which is so obvious) and the blocking. I also noticed a cynical attempt to box Slocombe in at every corner - clearly planned, as every time it was their No.6 who stood in front of Slocombe waving his arms above his head. It is all the more satisfying to beat a team playing like this, because we have struggled in the past.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Interview with George Baldock on MK Dons website following Saturday's win:

http://www.mkdons.com/news/article/bald ... 40897.aspx
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I felt that half of AFCW had a different team talk to the rest. Some wanted to play attacking football, the others time waste and hold up play.

Good to get a result though after the two Nil-Nils last season.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

http://mobile.mkdons.com/news/article/r ... 42447.aspx

This caught my eye too why do we never win Oxford senior cup games by this much?!?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

ty cobb wrote:http://mobile.mkdons.com/news/article/r ... 42447.aspx

This caught my eye too why do we never win Oxford senior cup games by this much?!?
Maybe because we don't have a couple of ex-Real Madrid players to trot out in such fixtures?
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

What a good win, not necessarily for the quality of play we've become used to this season, but more for a determined attitude to grind out a result. This is probably the first season since we've been back in the league that we could hope to win such a game.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

and how come Didcot is in Berks and Bucks?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Because, of course, it was in North Berkshire until 1974.

There are some curious corners in which tradition outweighs modernity......