Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

York City and Acc. Stanley

Post by OUFC4eva »

Two big away games coming up and the club is being very
professional in its approach with the group staying up north
after the York match and then
using top drawer training facilities at PNE and Bolton.

I see that York have problems with midfielder
Luke Summerfield missing out through back and head
injuries along with the suspended striker Vadaine Oliver.
Michael Coulson, Jake Hyde and George Swan also miss
out with knocks. York have recalled Tom Platt who has been
on loan at Harrogate Town.

A win tomorrow night would be great before our trip
to The Wham Stadium, Accrington on Saturday.
( Did I really just type that).
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: York City and Acc. Stanley

Post by OUFC4eva »

An away win at York's Bootham Crescent courtesy of goals from Hylton and Roofe
tonight sets up the U's nicely for the big match at fourth placed Accrington Stanley
this Saturday.

COYY.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

OUFC4eva wrote:An away win at York's Bootham Crescent courtesy of goals from Hylton and Roofe
tonight sets up the U's nicely for the big match at fourth placed Accrington Stanley
this Saturday.

COYY.
York was the first game I've missed this season, would have been great for a Saturday.

It was mentioned earlier in the season (Godalming Yellow?) that we should be winning at home and drawing away to aim for promotion, but we've reversed that the last three fixtures. York aren't doing great, but an away win is good on a Tuesday night, when the terrace is open so difficult for the crowd to be heard. Perhaps it is the old adage of the pressure being less away from home - so it is easier to win away?

Or that other teams visiting the Kassam set out not to lose - so we end up drawing at home?

Also how depressing is it to hear Accrington described as "the big match"? Yes it's important, but it shows how the smaller clubs can do well if properly run and managed.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

slappy wrote:Also how depressing is it to hear Accrington described as "the big match"? Yes it's important, but it shows how the smaller clubs can do well if properly run and managed.
Accrington's only a big match because we've dropped so many points at home though. And in fact last night's result takes the pressure off it a bit. But a win at the Crown Ground would really see us well-established at the top.

Not sure I buy the 'crowd pressure' argument about our home performances. Surely the reason we struggle at home is because some teams sit back and try and spoil the game, and we're not clever enough to cope with it? Whereas when we're away the home team is always going to be looking to go forward more, giving us the space our style of play thrives on when we're on song.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

Looking forward to another visit to Accrington tomorrow. Does anyone know the origins of the Wham sponsorship? Will they play any George Michael songs if they score? (Anything's better than Capt Pugwash at Fleetwood!)
Bring back the black away shirt!
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Can you wake me up before you go-go?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Come on.....Bad Boys.....Do it Right play with Freedom and.....take us to the Edge of Heaven

I thank you.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I hope no one got caught having oral sex in the toilet.

there. i said it.

Good win all in. We used our heads in a toilet of a ground to make our supporters come with excitement against some stiff opposition.

I'm not sorry.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

You must be drunk. This is Rage Online you know.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

A quick match report from me whilst sitting at Strensham services on the way home!

A terrific result against a decent side. Not the best team we'll play this season by any means, but strong and well-organised with a giant in goal and a few tricky players (including Windass Jr, who I thought looked decent at this level). In some recent games, especially at home, we've struggled to break down sides like that but today we did it - just. If we'd gone behind as we nearly did when it was 1-1, we could easily have lost today. We rode our luck at times - but so did Stanley at times. Listening to their fans on the way out of the ground, some were bemoaning the referee but others acknowledged that over all we were the better side.

I genuinely think we must have the best first-choice front line in this division. Hylton and Roofe clearly scared the living day lights out of Stanley's defence (even if they didn't score today). I worry about the second-choice strikers, especially with Hylton's disciplinary record, but we'll continue to get goals. Midfield looked competent as well, and Stanley basically had to put two men on O'Dowda whenever he got the ball, such was his threat. Skarz had another good game too.

My first time to Accrington, and it was a much nicer place than I expected. Stumbled on a nice little art gallery and tearoom before the game, and then had a pleasant pint (£1.80!) in the Greyhound surrounded by the "Tweed Army" who made it an entertaining and noisy afternoon. Shame about the div who went on the pitch and got himself thrown out - Stanley's low-key stewarding had been a pleasant change from the norm, and he's probably now ruined it for subsequent teams who go there. Awful ground, as others have mentioned - wouldn't fancy that away end in freezing rain in February!

So, a positive week all round, and a good day out. A lot about which to be confident, but no room for complacency. We're good, but we're not THAT good, and if we get injuries/suspensions the wheels could come off very quickly.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

The U's seal an impressive win against Accrington with Sercombe scoring twice at the Wham Stadium - fantastic !
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Six years before we were playing Barrow in the Conference. Accrington's ground may have made you wonder if we were now in a different league, it was straight out of the old style grounds. As it was a dry and fairly warm day, I enjoyed the terrace. Accy's Ultras made a racket as usual, I think they have more of a band than last time I was here.

Accrington played well I thought, they shouldn't be troubling the relegation places at the end of the season if they carry on with this style of football. I thought we were a bit lucky that their lob on Slocombe, and the goalmouth scramble didn't result in at least one more goal for them.

I think our younger players, particularly Roofe, O'Dowda, and now Jordan Graham are going to scare any clogging L2 defenders with their pace, and (perhaps one too many) step-overs. I haven't looked at who has 'won' our penalties this season (Roofe the last two?), but I think we will get several more over the season.

Anyway, a very pleasing six points from our Northern travels, perhaps it is good to get these out of the way whilst it is still dry. I wonder how we will adapt when pitches start clogging up. Even with our own relaid pitch, the portion in front of the South Stand always remains in shade during the winter.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

OUFC4eva wrote:Two big away games coming up and the club is being very
professional in its approach with the group staying up north
after the York match and then
using top drawer training facilities at PNE and Bolton.
Very pleased that this professionalism turned into six very valuable points.

My only worries now are the 'keeper and some of the front line esp. Roofe leaving in January.