Penalty takers

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Penalty takers

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:Just found this link. Two former Oxford players in the top 16 since the Prem started.

http://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_go ... lfmeter/1/
Don't think that list is since the Prem started - unless Dennis Tueart, Liam Brady et al managed some time travel! That list only tells pens scored though - it would be interesting to know how many each had missed as well, but I don't suppose that's necessarily recorded anywhere.

According to some very brief googling, Deano:

- missed the only penalty he took for Liverpool (Aldridge missed only one of the 18 he took for them, though it was rather crucial)
- also missed one for Derby against Chelsea
- had one saved by Niall Quinn(!) in a top-flight match at Maine Road
- missed one for Villa against Bristol Rovers (in the same season that Ray Houghton and John Byrne did likewise)
- and more recently took a shit penalty in a One Direction charity match.

I rest my case m'lud.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Case proven Kernow, that’s a crap link I dug up. Sorry.

Nothing in ‘Ad Hoc’ queries on the Rage Online database either, so it may have to be one of those never to be answered questions than even the anoraks on here can’t crack!
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I never trusted Saunders as a penalty taker...I can think of at least two he missed for us. (On both occasions he'd already scored one in the match already).

The other Deano, Windass. Now he could take a penalty. Crosby was brilliant, Moody - apart from during the blip - was unsave-able. One against Walsall (?) was my favourite, hit so hard, the keeper just looked gobsmacked. Can't find it on youtube, alas.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Moody never had a blip as far as I can recall.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

SWA wrote:Moody never had a blip as far as I can recall.
I recall Moods missing a late penalty at home to Shrewsbury in about Nov.1994
at the London Road End - he took a long run up but he did not hit the ball
properly and the keeper made an easy save and the game ended 1-1.

I can recall United missing two pens in a home game game with Hereford
in 1978 - both Foley and Curran missed from the spot.

Reckon Peter Foley missed around 8-9 pens.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

My favourite example of penalties being psychological: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqjNFjSvHV4

I don't think Leven missed one for Us, and he put almost all of his down the middle.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote: I recall Moods missing a late penalty at home to Shrewsbury in about Nov.1994
at the London Road End - he took a long run up but he did not hit the ball
properly and the keeper made an easy save and the game ended 1-1.
Almost, but not quite. It was 29th October 1994, he missed and it finished 0-0. I remember it vividly - it was my first game!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It would be interesting if anyone had a list of all our penalty taker, and their success rate. Difficult to compile though.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I think Moody's blip is quite evident:

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/adhoc/102/170/

We're talking about possibly my second favourite player of all time here. I loved him but this goal drought was agony. He took the worst penalty ever against Chester, which went so slowly the keeper was so shocked, he palmed it weakly back to Moods, who headed it over an empty net.

I believe he had personal issues, luckily resolved, but it totally derailed the season.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

And before Leven and Duffy, Paul Powell was a great spot kicker. Didn't he come on for us in a league cup match in extra time simply to take a penalty? A reminder that takers need not be forwards or midfielders.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Paul Powell was a left winger, so falls into the category of midfielder or forward.
Mr T
Brat

Post by Mr T »

I remember Rob Duffy missing a penalty at Southport; never the same after that. Thankfully Danny Rose saved us that night with a great winning goal later on during his first spell at Oxford.
Bring back the black away shirt!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

SWA wrote:Paul Powell was a left winger, so falls into the category of midfielder or forward.
No.3 Paul Powell played the majority of his games at left back - didn't he?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Radley Rambler wrote:
SWA wrote:Paul Powell was a left winger, so falls into the category of midfielder or forward.
No.3 Paul Powell played the majority of his games at left back - didn't he?
Which is what I thought, but to be fair Rage Online says: "Fell out of favour under Mark Wright, and criminally played as a left back under the dark days of David Kemp, but in his natural position on the left wing his ability to skin his marker makes him an OUFC legend".
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

This penalty thing is getting to be ridiculous. What is our record now this season?