Gas on air

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Gas on air

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Sunday's game will be a very good marker of where we are this year. Rovers have started pretty well and if we can get a result there it will be a good start to the season. After last season's debacle on Sky then just avoiding defeat this time would be pretty cathartic for the club I reckon. Shame about the early kick-off but at least it leaves time for a few pints in Bristol post-match before heading back to Cornwall.

Sorry to complain about admission prices again, but if twenty's plenty for an away fan at a decent ground then it's well over the top for an uncovered side terrace with the worst view in League 2. When fans can watch from the comfort of their armchair/pub and avoid the locals' 'friendly' welcome on the Gloucester Road I wouldn't be surprised if the away end isn't particularly busy. Which would be a shame - I always perversely make more of an effort to get to televised games as I want neutrals to look and think 'they've got a good away following'. Sad, I know...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Gas on air

Post by OUFC4eva »

Four former U's in the Rovers squad:

James Clarke, Matt Taylor, Lee Mansell and Cristian Montano
who is now known as Cristian Montano-Castillo.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Well aren't you a lucky lot?! You. An watch me do the drinks on C4's Sunday Brunch at 11.50 and then switch over for kick off in the OUFC match. :)
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Massive result that. We played poorly for most of the game but rode our luck and ground out a victory. Rovers clearly felt aggrieved by the first red card but their histrionics thereafter, Matt Taylor in particular, were a complete embarrassment. I've never seen a team demand red and yellow cards so blatantly and get away with it. As a result we had what looked a perfectly good goal chalked off and another Hylton opportunity pulled back for non-existent fouls (though I'd be interested to know how they looked on telly).

The ref basically wasn't up to the job and ruined a perfectly mediocre game of football with bizarre decisions. The first half was pretty open, but once Rovers were reduced to ten men we resorted to too much hoofball up to Taylor instead of trying to exploit space. We looked off the pace much of the time, with Roofe and Sercombe prime culprits of poor decision making. Once the latter got sent off I'd have taken a point but the former produced a wonder goal which sent us all home very happy.

In truth Hoban's introduction changed the match and his excellent cushioned header set up the goal. Hylton did his usual great work, Rose was the pick of the midfield and the defence did well to keep a clean sheet but why does Slocombe stay rooted to his line so much? A couple of shots straight at him should not disguise this big weakness.

The best part of the day was the discovery of the excellent and welcoming Wellington pub a couple of minutes from the ground, with a full Bath Ales range plus guests and great pork pies. And Darell Eales did his now familiar trick of mingling with the fans both pre- and post-match. It's cheap PR, sure, but he genuinely seems to care about and understand the fans' experiences and chatted for ages with fans outside the pub before settling down to his Sunday roast inside. He was as pleased as we were that a poor performance had been turned into 3 points.

Up the Manor!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Massive result that. We played poorly for most of the game but rode our luck and ground out a victory. Rovers clearly felt aggrieved by the first red card but their histrionics thereafter, Matt Taylor in particular, were a complete embarrassment. I've never seen a team demand red and yellow cards so blatantly and get away with it. As a result we had what looked a perfectly good goal chalked off and another Hylton opportunity pulled back for non-existent fouls (though I'd be interested to know how they looked on telly).

The ref basically wasn't up to the job and ruined a perfectly mediocre game of football with bizarre decisions. The first half was pretty open, but once Rovers were reduced to ten men we resorted to too much hoofball up to Taylor instead of trying to exploit space. We looked off the pace much of the time, with Roofe and Sercombe prime culprits of poor decision making. Once the latter got sent off I'd have taken a point but the former produced a wonder goal which sent us all home very happy.

In truth Hoban's introduction changed the match and his excellent cushioned header set up the goal. Hylton did his usual great work, Rose was the pick of the midfield and the defence did well to keep a clean sheet but why does Slocombe stay rooted to his line so much? A couple of shots straight at him should not disguise this big weakness.

The best part of the day was the discovery of the excellent and welcoming Wellington pub a couple of minutes from the ground, with a full Bath Ales range plus guests and great pork pies. And Darell Eales did his now familiar trick of mingling with the fans both pre- and post-match. It's cheap PR, sure, but he genuinely seems to care about and understand the fans' experiences and chatted for ages with fans outside the pub before settling down to his Sunday roast inside. He was as pleased as we were that a poor performance had been turned into 3 points.

Up the Manor!
I hope you made it clear to DE that the Slumdon game is not an opportunity to play a second string line-up!
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Strange game that. The red card seemed to be very similar to the 'bus sending off at their place a few years back. Both players going for ball, the BR player did have a little glance at Rose before jumping so I think he knew what he was doing which was supported by the fact he didn't really argue about it and trudged off.

So that was good for us, and probably needed as Rovers were the better team up to that point, we couldn't get hold of the ball. But the advantage was negated somewhat by just how much of a homer the ref became after that point, Rovers players diving about everywhere which meant the slightest bit of contact resulted in some of the softest yellow cards you'll see. I would have thought a warning would have been in order at half time but no Hylton gave went into the book about a minute into the second half and then Sercombe gave the ref little choice with a poor challange. Ref seemed to get a bit fairer after that and we won some free kicks again.

But in a game of two solid defences (Dunkley impressed me after a slow start, great strength in the air and a vital interception) a little bit of class was always likely to be the difference and so it proved with another wonder goal by Roofe. They had enough chances to equalise (and should have had a pen) but to come away from there with a win nestles us nicely at the top of the table.

Although the starting 11 will look good still on Sat (even with Long, Sercombe, possibly Roofe and Mullins out) with Callum to come back we are starting to look very light on the bench. I would not be wanting Roberts to go out on loan just yet.

Oh and unlike KY I thought Slocombe actually came and claimed the ball well on a few occassions - I don't recall a point where I was shouting at him to come and claim it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote:I hope you made it clear to DE that the Slumdon game is not an opportunity to play a second string line-up!
The importance of the game was certainly mentioned by a few! Although personally I think on this occasion it's an unnecessary distraction as the league fixtures get tough and the squad looks thin...
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Again for me, the contributions on here so far do not do us sufficient credit.

Let's remember, Rovers are a decent side with some very good players. Sinclair in particular is playing at least one division below his true level. So they were never going to lay down and let us play our beautiful game.

Then let's remember that Rovers were the home team. The onus is on them to come at us, and they did so. They had 55% of the possession, which is fairly normal for the home team.

And let's not forget that we were missing 2 key players in Mulls and COD.

Slocombe only had one or two serious saves to make, which shows that for the higher midfield possession, Rovers were well marshalled by us and the vast majority of their attacks were forced sideways out of danger.

As the away side, we were well organised, we passed and retained the ball reasonably well, and we defended very competently. We created multiple chances and scored the only goal of the game, remembering that goals are the only aspect that matters come the end of the game.

So, whilst we didn't play as well as our very good form of late, and Rovers had more of the play, this was a good away performance which got the right result at what will be one of the hardest places to get wins this season.

On individuals, I felt Taylor worked a lot harder in this match, but only had one shot (header) that produced a save from their excellent keeper. He appeared to have been knocked unconscious, which must have affected his game, although I've not seen any official report of this. He is behind the curve, but is slowly catching up.

Hoban's movement was better than Taylor's, but he gave the ball away quite a bit and rarely even got into scoring positions. His knock down for Roofe was wonderfully judged and Hoban's run to get in that position to receive the ball was timed to perfection. I wouldn't say his introduction changed the pattern of the game for the better though.

Slocombe had a better game and came for a few crosses. He still managed to drop one of the crosses, giving Rovers a corner in the process, and his handling is as much a concern as his lack of dominance of his area. Can't fault the diving save to his left at the far end though.

Chey Dunkley had another very good game. I'm really pleased with how his game has (been) developed and he looks strong on the ground and in the air now. A more than adequate replacement for either Wright or Mullins.

I would have liked to see both full backs push on slightly more, but maybe that was part of the game plan to counter Rover's very quick attacking play.

Sercs had a very good game. I'm not convinced that the second foul (which was a foul) was worthy of a second yellow card. I suspect the ref was trying to balance up his earlier red card decision to quiet the baying home crowd and moaning diving Rovers players. The play acting and attempts to get our players booked and sent off was disgusting.

Hylton had a reasonably good game, but wasn't quite as good as usual.

Rose was our MoM for me. He is another whose game has been upped this season and he now looks very good for league 2 level. Needs a few more attempts on goal.

Roofe had a less effective first half than usual, but was very good indeed in the second half. That goal will be long in the memory.

MacDonald seemed absent for large parts of the game for me. Maybe because he spent more time defending than usual.

Lundstram looked good when he came on, and I think he will become a key signing as the season develops.

Ruffels coming on was really just about suring things up for the last few minutes.

If I was offered a draw before the game, I would have taken it, but the win compensates for the home draw against Crawley. We are definitely heading in the right direction.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Everything absolutely spot on there. Good post that ^^^^^
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

It's long been held as one definition of a good side is that they can play poorly against good opposition and still come out of it three points up. I think we can consider that well and truly achieved.

Absolutely massive result - it will make us a team to be feared, which will no doubt reduce the scoring opportunities as the opposition start to park the bus - this is where the attack will really need to up their game. Scoring quick goals against the teams at the bottom of the table to prevent potential wins becoming no score draws, and a bit of creativity from the management to prevent us getting too predictable and 'found out'

To be one of eleven unbeaten teams left in the whole League is a massive achievement as well. I also like our league position being determined by alphabetical order after six games, especially when we win by a letter.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well that was a very nervous game. After rovers went down to ten men a player pulled up in the middle of nowhere for a chance for tactical reshuffle instructions from their manager.

We really should have gone for the jugular with the extra player advantage.

Rovers seemed to be playing wilder-esque tactics of crumbling at the slightest challenge, which the ref lapped up in his desire to even the teams up to 10 each. Eventually he did, and luckily Roofe proved what a prospect he is with another great goal. Ok he's missed several easier chances this season but those will come. After he was bundled over for dislocated shoulder? He should have been taken straight off.

Great battling resolve to keep the lead, I would have taken a draw at any time of the match on Sunday.

Also great to see Eales and family on the terrace and in the Wellington post match. Clearly a football fan as well as a financial man.
Also agree with the pork pie comment. Beats the factory food of wether spoons any day.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I see Rovers' Ollie Clarke has had his red card rescinded. Which surprised me - not that I thought it was definitely a sending-off offence, but having seen the highlights I don't see how the FA can be sure it wasn't. He did catch Rose in the head with his arm, so surely by definition it was dangerous play? When we've appealed incidents like this (Alsop at Huddersfield, Constable at Wimbledon) we've never had any joy.

Also having seen the highlights it looks like we got lucky with more than one penalty claim. Hoban's kick was the most blatant (and most stupid - their player was going nowhere). I can see why the Gasheads were moaning quite so much at the ref now!