Best since Wembley

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Best since Wembley

Post by Werthers Original »

Hylton man of season and goal of season already. Fabulous.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Best since Wembley

Post by GodalmingYellow »

County couldn't have complained had we scored 8 such was our dominance and number of missed chances.

The second half was as good as we have played at the KasStad.

Hylton has an unbelievable engine.

Big up for Kemar and O'Dowda as well.

I have some concerns over Mrs Slocombe. He doesn't come for any crosses and for several set pieces he didn't even dominate his 6 yard box to catch or punch. For me, Clarke was a better keeper, as was Ashdown.

I remain wholly doubtful over Hoban too. I appreciate that the subbing off was more tactical, but he struggles to get into games, and doesn't hold the ball up as well as some claim.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I cross-posted with the original opening post, so I'll add it here:

What a Substitution!

I'm not sure I've watched a game changed so much by a single substitution in a long time. We were struggling more than a little until O'Dowda came on, and then talk about instant impact! A masterstroke. And then the second half was as well as I've seen us play in a long time. Chance after chance after chance. Danny Hylton had a sensational half, culminating fittingly in that goal.

A pity about the penalty - I was willing Hylton to be allowed to take it tbh. Don't care if he's missed a couple - I didn't fancy MacDonald for it at all. In fact MacDonald was the one false note in the second half. For such a high profile signing, he's not really made the impact I'd hoped yet. Anyway, early days, and great result!

(It could have been very different in the first half. I'm told the Mullins back pass looked pretty dodgy, though I couldn't tell from where I was sitting.)

P.S. When was the last time we started a match with numbers 1 to 11 on the pitch?
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

I'm really sad I can't get back to the KasStad until October now (being one of those people who frequently works on Saturdays). That was the best performance I've seen in ages and actually what was most encouraging is there remains room for further improvement; I agree with GY that Slocombe's unwillingness to come for crosses will cost us more goals, and as Jimski mentioned I too have felt that McDonald hasn't quite been at the same level as the rest of the squad - yet. I'll give Hoban the benefit of the doubt for yesterday as it would appear that he was ill according to MA in the radio interview after the game.

But what a performance post-substitution; Hylton is a proper player, the best we've had for years. Baldock is way beyond League 2 standard. Roofe and O'Dowda aren't far behind. Sercombe getting better with every game. Mullins was a rock at the back last night.

Early doors I know, but were I a Twitterererer I think I might finish this comment with #optimism. 8)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I noticed Hoban had some of that muscle strapping-tape on his back in the gallery after Luton, so perhaps not just whatever the excuse reeled out was.

Roofe seemed much happier in a free ranging role, although perhaps the shock made him forget his scoring boots, the number of chances he squandered.

I heard when Slocombe was promoted with Scunthorpe, he had two big centre-backs in front of him. With Wright and Mullins, there is a lack of height and if they are not meeting inbound crosses like we conceded from last night, then Slocombe needs to be coming out for them.

Both sides looked better in attack than defense, but I think if we can keep this style of football up, we will be a team to be afraid of.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

my first game this season and i thoroughly enjoyed it. terrific to see us attack with such verve!

i had o'dowda for man of the match just for his impact on the game, but hylton was also key in not allowing county any respite.

my only gripe is the chances we missed was verging on the ridiculous, but i'd much rather an oxford side that was creating chances and missing them than creating few or no chances. we managed to make the game safe, and i like the fact that roofe, hylton, and o'dowda all seem to be getting on the scoresheet so often already.

i agree with slappy - i think the problem at the back is the combination of slocombe, who seems to be a goalkeeper who doesn't come for crosses, and two shorter centre backs. wright and mullins' height wasn't so much of an issue with clarkey, but is being exposed now. a bit more height at the back might be the better answer as on last night's showing and the clips i've seen so far slocombe looks to otherwise be a strong addition to the team?

that felt like an important game anyway last night - a win made our start to the season strong. but the buccaneering manner of victory meant i left the ground with a skip in my step and looking forward to the rest of the season. if we can play that like regularly this season this is going to be a lot of fun... and might even bring some success too.