Didcot, really?

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Didcot, really?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

£9 for a pre-season friendly at mediocre non-league club. Really?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Didcot, really?

Post by Kernow Yellow »

It's what they charge for their league games, so fair enough to do the same when a League 2 team come visiting surely? I don't think it will put many people off attending. £1 for all under-16s is a bargain on a Saturday afternoon.

I got charged a tenner at Truro a couple of seasons back to see an OUFC XI made up entirely of youth-teamers and triallists. At least it's a full first team squad at Didcot.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

If United pull City out of the FA Cup hat again this season then it may be cheaper for the away fans than in the home ends - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33431733 :roll:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:If United pull City out of the FA Cup hat again this season then it may be cheaper for the away fans than in the home ends - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33431733 :roll:
Nice gesture. But what has that story got to do with United or City? If you mean Swansea City, we don't charge more than £22 in our home end.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Snake wrote:If United pull City out of the FA Cup hat again this season then it may be cheaper for the away fans than in the home ends - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33431733 :roll:
Nice gesture. But what has that story got to do with United or City? If you mean Swansea City, we don't charge more than £22 in our home end.
It was £24 for an on the day ticket in the SSU last season.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:It was £24 for an on the day ticket in the SSU last season.
We don't charge away fans more than £22 though. I really don't see what your point is?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Snake wrote:It was £24 for an on the day ticket in the SSU last season.
We don't charge away fans more than £22 though. I really don't see what your point is?
Sorry, too subtle of me. The case I’m making is that the gap in ticket prices between the top and lower division teams is closing very rapidly, in the main because it’s TV money and marketing and not bums on seats that are the major source of revenue in the Prem these days. That’s going to suck out a lot of younger fans from supporting clubs like Oxford United in the next generation. A good job that Minchery Farm is a long way from the closest ‘big’ club.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:£9 for a pre-season friendly at mediocre non-league club. Really?
Less than 2 quid per goal! Did anyone go?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I did.

Very difficult to draw any conclusions as Didcot are a way down the leagues and have some fat people playing for them so bear that in mind but United did play some nice passing football.

As you've probably already read elsewhere United changed the entire team at halftime save for Slocombe who played the whole game. I don't remember him having a save to make though. Wright and Mullins dealt with everything and Freddy Grant looked confident and capable and overlapped well. Hawtin was also solid on the right side. Sercombe was okay but didn't stand out although it was difficult to get a good view standing pitchside (I know, I know, the manager manages to work it all out at ground level!). McDonald sent over some poor corners and I'm afraid Hoban did nothing to suggest he will deserve to be as regular as he was last season. Roofe was very good and I suppose it will do him good to have started scoring right away. Roberts was disappointing and was replaced by AJ George on 35 and he looked tricky and confident in his 10 minutes.

Second half saw Hylton and Taylor playing as a central front two. Hylton only has one pace - frenetic! Doesn't matter if it's a pre-season friendly or a cup final he's all over it! Scored two but could have had at least three more if he was more composed. Love him! Taylor will obviously need more time but didn't impress me this time. All the youngsters looked comfortable but I suppose this is a level they're used to.