Numbers do not add up

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Numbers do not add up

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Considering quotes attributed to Appleton, I am a little surprised that Clarke has got a squad number.

Is Clarke staying or going?

Ashdown doesn't have a number, but no official statement about his offer being withdrawn.

Maybe Clarke is happy to be a bench warmer?

Several holes in the continuous numbering chain suggest more players will be signed. I always like to read more into this than may be there.

Surprised to see Hoban retaining the number 9 shirt ahead of Ryan Taylor. Surprised Hoban is even still at the club if I am honest.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Numbers do not add up

Post by OUFC4eva »

The U's confirmed when Slocombe was signed
that they would not be pursuing Ashdown
hence no squad number.

Agree with you on Hoban though - hope he improves.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:Considering quotes attributed to Appleton, I am a little surprised that Clarke has got a squad number.

Ashdown doesn't have a number, but no official statement about his offer being withdrawn.

Clarke is currently under contract at OUFC, so he has to be given a squad number really doesn't he? The fact Appleton has taken the number 1 jersey away from him - and indeed given him rarely used 'unlucky' 13 - is a pretty clear indication he won't be starting many games. If he gets a decent offer and all parties agree terms he'll surely be off.

Ashdown was not under contract, so I'm not sure an official statement on his not signing another one was required - it was announced in the Oxford Mail at least.

As for the rest of your conspiracy theories, some players seem simply to have retained their numbers from last year (Dunkley, Roberts etc) hence the gaps. But I wouldn't be surprised to see another signing. We only appear to have 6 defenders (plus untried Freddie Grant) to cover 4 positions, which seems very light to me. Another CB who can cover LB if necessary wouldn't be a bad idea.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I also wondered about the gaps. I can understand keeping your former number, but why give Taylor shirt 20 rather than 16, say?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kernow Yellow wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:Considering quotes attributed to Appleton, I am a little surprised that Clarke has got a squad number.

Clarke is currently under contract at OUFC, so he has to be given a squad number really doesn't he? The fact Appleton has taken the number 1 jersey away from him - and indeed given him rarely used 'unlucky' 13 - is a pretty clear indication he won't be starting many games. If he gets a decent offer and all parties agree terms he'll surely be off.

Ashdown was not under contract, so I'm not sure an official statement on his not signing another one was required - it was announced in the Oxford Mail at least.

As for the rest of your conspiracy theories, some players seem simply to have retained their numbers from last year (Dunkley, Roberts etc) hence the gaps. But I wouldn't be surprised to see another signing. We only appear to have 6 defenders (plus untried Freddie Grant) to cover 4 positions, which seems very light to me. Another CB who can cover LB if necessary wouldn't be a bad idea.
I agree about defensive cover. We've got a lot of strikers, but not many defenders. Kemar getting the number 4 shirt is odd too, as that is usually reserved for a defender or defensive midfielder.

On Clarke, perhaps he has told Appleton he would rather stay and fight for his place.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Jimski wrote:I also wondered about the gaps. I can understand keeping your former number, but why give Taylor shirt 20 rather than 16, say?
My thinking too. But then I have a vague feeling that last season Appleton let the players choose their numbers from those not already in use.

It's more fun to speculate than look at months old postings anyway.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

we had so many players last season we used these numbers twice.
3, 4, 9, 11, 18, 26, 27, 29