Young players sign new deals

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Young players sign new deals

Post by joepoolman »

This week both Sam Humphreys and Sam Long have signed new deals.

The Humphreys article talks about him being "highly regarded by the management", but I can't help but feel if he were that highly regarded he would've made his debut before the last half hour of the season.

I for one am happy about Long signing a new deal, and don't understand why with him, Donkey Druggie Dunkley, Wright and Mullins the club has been chasing Alfie Mawson. Maybe Long is going to be our right-back? Based on the handful of times I've seen him I still feel he is a central player.

Still best of luck to them both in whatever position!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Young players sign new deals

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I didn't realise Long was out of contract, but I'm glad we've secured his services - I wonder what the delay was about? I've been impressed whenever I've seen him (barring the first 20 minutes against Mansfield, but then he's not really a left back).

Humphreys I know less about, but I'm glad we're bringing our own youth players through more than in previous years...
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Long was not out of contract, in that the club could have enforced a year's extension on his current contract until the end of this coming season. This effectively extends the period.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying!