Classic Ox-head Logo

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Classic Ox-head Logo

Post by OUFC4eva »

United have announced that for the 2015-2016
season they are reverting to the iconic minoan bull
badge designed by Desmond Morris in 1979.

A good move. Let's hope the new kits are launched soon!

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Classic Ox-head Logo

Post by Kernow Yellow »

A nice touch - I'm guessing this will be quite a popular move. These guys are pretty good at PR if nothing else.

Note that this is for 'one season only' though. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a retro Milk Cup replica kit to go with it and coincide with the 30th (!!!) anniversary of that great year.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Just in case you haven't seen it this site is interesting ... http://oxfordkits.com/m.2015.html
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:A nice touch - I'm guessing this will be quite a popular move. These guys are pretty good at PR if nothing else.

Note that this is for 'one season only' though. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a retro Milk Cup replica kit to go with it and coincide with the 30th (!!!) anniversary of that great year.
If they do produce a replica kit (and I would buy one), let's hope they make a better job of it than the 2 previous occasions the club have tried to do this. The first ended up as a ropey t-shirt and the second was the wrong colour and the material was nothing like the original.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:A nice touch - I'm guessing this will be quite a popular move. These guys are pretty good at PR if nothing else.

If they do produce a replica kit (and I would buy one), let's hope they make a better job of it than the 2 previous occasions the club have tried to do this. The first ended up as a ropey t-shirt and the second was the wrong colour and the material was nothing like the original.
I think it will be our actual playing kit this year, so it had better be ok! I do trust the current owners to get things like this right without messing it up with penny-pinching. If they do I will also be buying one.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I wonder how long we're going to keep doing these Milk Cup anniversaries? We're now into a second generation of supporters who weren't around at the time and it's beginning to look a bit desperate now! Isn't it?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Hog wrote:I wonder how long we're going to keep doing these Milk Cup anniversaries? We're now into a second generation of supporters who weren't around at the time and it's beginning to look a bit desperate now! Isn't it?
Nah, plenty of life left in it yet.

BTW were you in Stroud with your special gun on Saturday Hog?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Hog wrote:I wonder how long we're going to keep doing these Milk Cup anniversaries? We're now into a second generation of supporters who weren't around at the time and it's beginning to look a bit desperate now! Isn't it?
Indeed, especially as in those days all the top clubs really went for it, unlike now.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Snake wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:
Indeed, especially as in those days all the top clubs really went for it, unlike now.
Yeah I think Hog's being a bit churlish here. It was a massive, incredible achievement for a club like ours, and one that can serve to remind current and future generations of what is possible for 'small' clubs.

Besides, if we are actually changing our matchday kit in a nod to our great Wembley win, that's not something we've ever done before. Previous anniversaries have been marked quite poorly with ill-thought-out memorabilia - let's hope this one's decent.

As the banner in the East Stand says: 'Remember 86'. And so we should.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I don't mean we should forget it and those who were there (or even around at the time) never will but it was a long, long time ago now!

The only 'small' clubs that win it these days are Birmingham and Swansea!

A lot of the young fans probably think the Remember 86 banner is a piss-take against Stevenage who brought that many fans to Grenoble Road in their Conference winning season!

Halcyon days nonetheless!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
You'll be please to know I gave all that up two years ago.!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Hog wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:
You'll be please to know I gave all that up two years ago.!
Ah, must've been your doppelganger!
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I really enjoyed on "the other place" the suggestion that the design was by William Morris. ... Ah the vagaries of history and the understanding of time ...