Luton Town v OXFORD

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Luton Town v OXFORD

Post by Werthers Original »

If you want casual fans to come you'd need to do away with numbered seats in the home end, I think - just turn up and sit where you like.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Werthers Original wrote:If you want casual fans to come you'd need to do away with numbered seats in the home end, I think - just turn up and sit where you like.
Or better still stand where you like. So much easier for casual fans in the days of terracing, when ST holders and their non-ST holding mates could just turn up at ten to three and watch the match together without having to mess about buying and swapping tickets in advance. Much easier to move away from annoying moaners and/or towards where the atmosphere was too (or vice versa of course!) All in all a much less hassled experience.

Unlikely the East Stand will ever be unreserved seating, as too many people have become attached to the seat they've been in for years now. A great idea should the fourth stand ever be built though.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A tweet from oufcofficial earlier this afternoon
revealed that 560 tickets have been sold for
Saturdays' game at Kenilworth Road.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I bet they sell a few more tomorrow!
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I wish I could go (a young family limits my attendance at the moment) as I lived in Luton for a few years (spitting distance from Kenilworth Road) so, in my eyes, they are the team Oxford have to beat!

The 2-1 defeat in our last season in the Conference still makes me feel sick despite our subsequent play-off success.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Well that was an enjoyable day out.

Train to London, strolled through the corralled Oxford fans at Euston, met some friends for a couple of beers in London to avoid all the hassle in Luton. Whilst my ticket was an all routes to Luton, some had the slower Thameslink ticket, so we got to Luton for about 2:30 and five of us jumped in a taxi and got to the ground in good time for kick-off.

I missed last year's game, but see they have now given part of the Oak Road stand to the home fans. There js also a 'new' away fans bar, to which they only allow 60 people in. Nice to see some attempt to make the ground a bit friendlier. Although the old song "in the Luton slums" line of pissing in the sink was helpful to some fans in the gents in this bar (one lav, no urinals).

As it wasn't a sell out for the away fans, it was a lot roomier than when i visited on the Tuesday night conference game. The Oak Road is very cramped trying to force seats onto a narrow stepped terrace, and the roof supports seemed to block about half the action from my seat.

The minute's applause pre-match and at 21 minutes for the past player, and fan Tom Close, were joined in very well by the Oxford fans.

As for the game, pre-match John Still said that if Luton finished above Oxford they would probably be promoted. I now agree, and think if we finish above Luton we will be promoted.

This was an entertaining game of football by both teams, Appleton has now played the same starting line up and had the same subs bench each game, a settled team who know how to play. I think MacDonald will be lucky not to be suspended by the end of September, he has made two rash tackles in two games, and I would have subbed him immediately, however Appleton has more trust than me.

Taylor is yet to score, but again Appleton seems determined to stick by him in the starting line up. Roofe perhaps tries a little too hard to beat his defenders twice when he has done it once and could have crossed earlier.

But the key change this season is a second half determination, coupled with last half hour appearances for Hoban and O'Dowda who are decent players to come and attack the tiring opposition. Against Crawley even at 1-1 we were chasing the win, against Luton we battled back despite being 2-0 down with 8 minutes of normal time. This is the sort of play that will result in us gaining three points or a draw, rather than a draw or loss.

Nice stroll back towards the station, no trouble or intimidation by police, we had some nice ales in beer garden at The English Rose, Luton fans and Oxford fans and no trouble.

And next time I may bring my shopping bag. Three sweetcorn for £1.20 in the greengrocers in Luton, I only get two for £1.20 in Guildford.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Nice write up Slappy.

Surprised you failed to mention the Luton on the pitch
"thuggery" dished out by Stephen McNulty, Luke Wilkinson and Scott Cuthbert.
Foul after foul after foul went unpunished.

Felt like a win as we left Kenilworth Road but conceded two bad goals
but overall we look a good side at the moment. Lets hope we can carry it on against
Notts County tomorrow night.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34398908

Oh, a demo at last about the rip off prices at big clubs, but it’s news to me that fans of all 20 clubs will take part in it, given it costs a ST holder in South Wales £21.90 for a home seat and £22 for an away one.