Oxbridge "derby"

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Oxbridge "derby"

Post by GodalmingYellow »

That was a good win, at home, against a capable and physical, if uninspiring, Cambridge side. We lost 5-1 at their place in front of the TV cameras, and this was a far superior performance.

Maybe, just maybe, we haven't given Tippy enough credit for the turnaround.

It sticks in the craw a little, but with each passing good performance, I'm beginning to struggle to avoid the issue that Tippy has done just enough to justify another go next season.

I don't like changing managers generally, unless it is really necessary, and Tippy is still on a final warning as there has been plenty of evidence to have given him the boot much earlier, but I'm prepared to see him have another go.

I'll be looking for early evidence next season of continued improvement, with a minimum of play off spots, or very close to play off spots, at Christmas.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Oxbridge "derby"

Post by ty cobb »

Agreed, we've actually been on quite a decent run results wise since Exeter at home on the 24 Jan. The only thing that makes me question it is some dreadful home performances in that time and the number of games we've had against teams with little to play for, albeit with some excellent wins against teams that have.

I hope the strong finish to the season doesn't mask just how poor the overall season has been and the amount of chopping/changing that has gone on and the lessons that have seemingly been learnt from earlier in the season (settled team, mixing it up a bit) continue to next season. I also hope we haven't wasted this season by bringing in players who have little prospect of being here next season.

And just what has happened to Roberts?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

An adequate performance against a team that defended rather more resolutely than they provided attacking thrust. We were patient, but with a greater ability to cut through the defence occasionally, unlike early in the season. Not sure how comfortable we would have been with that makeshift centre-back pairing, had Cambridge had more quality to go for it. Still, they didn't and Whingy and Chey did OK.

Stability of selection has been one feature of recent weeks. Even so, from Exeter onwards, we have a record of W7/D8/L4 - with four draws being 0-0. Stronger at the back, but still not very hot in front of goal. hey ho. And yes - what is the story with Roberts?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah, not sure what the point is of keeping Vassell at the club at all now, let alone letting him play ahead of Roberts. I've heard rumour (from someone related to one of the younger players) that there is an agreement that certain of the loan players get game time, but not sure how much truth there is to it.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Some quotes from the Cambridge News match report:

"Oxford have had a torrid season themselves, but they clearly wanted to give their supporters something to cheer about in their final home game
[...]
'Wanting it more' is one of those arbitrary concepts pundits and managers bandy about, but that just about hit the nail on the head when it came to the teams' contrasting performances.
[...]
Danny Hylton picked up the hosts' player of the year award before kick-off and proceeded to put in one of the most dynamic displays by an opposing striker this term."

Which all sounds pretty promising (I wasn't there, Jerome).

My main concern is how many of this team will be with us at the start of next season? Appleton might have finally got us ticking, but he's taken a bloody long time about it. If we can take this team and squad into next season then great, by all means Appleton has earned the right to show what he can do with them over a whole campaign. But if we are losing/jettisoning half of them and need to rebuild again, I have no confidence that we'll hit the ground running.

Still, we've laid the groundwork for an optimistic close-season - a couple of decent signings and some good news on the ST pricing should at least ensure that we don't haemmorhage fans over the summer.

Note that we're still one (or two) win(s) short of the target of 'five or six' set by Eales over the last ten games though...
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

GodalmingYellow wrote:That was a good win, at home, against a capable and physical, if uninspiring, Cambridge side. We lost 5-1 at their place in front of the TV cameras, and this was a far superior performance.

Maybe, just maybe, we haven't given Tippy enough credit for the turnaround.

It sticks in the craw a little, but with each passing good performance, I'm beginning to struggle to avoid the issue that Tippy has done just enough to justify another go next season.

I don't like changing managers generally, unless it is really necessary, and Tippy is still on a final warning as there has been plenty of evidence to have given him the boot much earlier, but I'm prepared to see him have another go.

I'll be looking for early evidence next season of continued improvement, with a minimum of play off spots, or very close to play off spots, at Christmas.
Agree with you Terry.

I've decided to become all optimistic. Hope I have not been conned. But the evidence is pointing to a much brighter 2015/16 than it was a few months ago.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A very enjoyable game, lots of chances. However we clearly need someone to replace Roofe who has been doing very well.

I think though Appleton has almost totally lost my confidence in having any ability to string more than a couple of results together, and to get a settled team. So we may start brightly next year, but as soon as we concede first or lose a game my mind will tell me it's downhill again onto loan players and tippy tappy nice football at the expense of results.