Adams Out!

Anything yellow and blue
Mr T
Brat

Adams Out!

Post by Mr T »

Well what a wonderful day out up The Wirral on Saturday! The sun shone, the Us won, and we caused a football manager to lose his job! With no pressure on us, it was a chance to watch the match at leisure, and see the good, and not so good, in everyone. Before the game we were treated to a live rock covers band, Mexico something, who were decent enough, and a great idea. Imagine Radiohead or Supergrass doing a set at the Kassam?! After they had finished, the normal PA kicked in, and it was one of the worst I have ever experienced. What was he saying?! I was surprised by how few home fans turned up, especially considering their plight AND the reduced ticket prices (for them), and we had a lot more than I was expecting (not seen the official figure anywhere yet). It was good to see Dunkley start, and the boy did good, especially one great tackle in the 2nd half when a Rovers player was clean through on goal. Ashdown did ok, though he was never seriously tested, and twice Ryan C had to warm up after knocks to our keeper. I felt that Hylton was our MOM; he never stopped hustling, and deserved to get a goal, but instead unselfishly set up Rose for our 2nd. The build up to our 1st was great; players taking their time to create an opening for Long to cross perfectly for Roofe. The highlights on YouTube at last show more of us rather than the opposition, though I would like to have seen more of the action happening at the Kop end, as it seemed a long way from us camped up in the Cowshed. As Tranmere pushed up to try and get a consolation goal, more spaces were left for us to exploit, and it could easily have been 4 or 5; especially when Roberts hit the post, then the keeper, then Aiden H mishit the rebound. As we were parked in the stadium car park we were in no rush to leave, so met up with a Tranmere friend by the Johnny King statue as a large contingent of home fans chanted/demanded "Adams Out!" (they got their wish). We popped down to the pitch and had a chat with the groundsman who was not "F%^$£ing impressed"! Will be interesting to see which of the bottom 3 survive... "Appleton IN!"
Bring back the black away shirt!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Adams Out!

Post by Werthers Original »

Yeah where are the haterz now?!! Let's go for a top half finish at least
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Back in March 2014 I would have been happy
with Adams being Oxford manager as Lenagan
dithered pre Waddock.

Adams was apparently going to be OOC at Port Vale
and his track record is good. But he had a dreadful
start to this season at Vale Park and was sacked after
six straight defeats last September/October.

I was sad to read and hear that post match, Adams was pelted with eggs,
suffered the normal personal abuse after a 0-3 home defeat
and his car was allegedly damaged.
He does not deserve that - Tranmere however looks a basket case
and could suffer a double relegation next week
after the drop it suffered a year ago.

On to the the game itself in the Prenton sunshine - once United worked
out that Tranmere were abject and Jake and Dunks got to grip with
Odejayi and Hume - they dominated and could have won by a margin of 5 or
6.Good team goals were scored and confidence oozed through
the boys in yellow as Tranmere collapsed like a deck of cards.

Would keep Long and Rose for next season and the
Roofe could fall in if we can't do a deal for Kemar!
Last edited by OUFC4eva on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Whilst my view on Appleton hasn't changed, it was an excellent day out. Beautiful weather, good company and a lot of Oxford fans. That was actually the best AWAY performance of the season.

In the first half we were comfortable but didn't press too much other than an amazing Roofe burst, weave and shot. They started well for the first 5 minutes and woke up later in the second half once we were controlling things. Second half we were excellent AND I HOPE that YP or other highlights show the opening goal and build-up more than SKY and FL Show did. I promise it was a brilliant team goal, with special praise to Collins, Roofe and Long - who seemed to pass amongst themselves and around two TRFC players for what seemed like an age, before the cross was whipped in.

Then we took them apart at will. It could have been 6. Roberts came on, looked well below match fitness but hit the post, created problems and could have had a hat-trick. Hawtin had a chance too.

It was my best away day for seasons and seasons. It was that good.

Appleton clearly won't be departing this summer.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Actually, Chey Dunkley struggled for some time against Odejayi, frequently being muscled out of challenges and regularly beaten in the air. Dunkley resorted to a lot of holding and off the ball physical intervention to stop Odejayi producing. A better more observant ref could have given penalties (yes plural) against us. Dunkley improved in the second half, but I didn't feel he was up to standard at all.

Tranmere really came at us to begin with and we were under the cosh for about 20 minutes, having to rely on counter attacking football. Then our midfield began to take more control and the game became a bit messy. We were the better side first half, but not by much.

Second half we improved a lot, in particular, Roofe and Hylton had very good games and as others have said, the final result could easily have been doubled with better finishing. Sam Long looked pretty assured and should defo be in the squad next season as should Skarz. Wright barely made a mistake all afternoon and continued his return to form.

Again it strikes me that Danny Rose has made a big difference to us since his return to the starting XI.

Roberts has lost some pace or confidence to use his pace since his 2 hamstring injuries. We need to get him properly fit over the summer and he will be a big threat next season.

Best away result in some time and the second half was the best away performance I've seen this season, but let's remember that the opposition crumbled and were very poor indeed.

Let us also not forget that it is bums on seats at home that primarily funds the club, so getting our shocking home form sorted is a priority.

Whilst Appleton will unfortunately still be here next season, following an OKish run of form (7th in the form table is only OKish in my book considering the spending levels), he has not done nearly enough to gain goodwill or even credibility, and his comments towards supporters have been borderline unforgiveable from a fans point of view, so I won't be changing my mind about him before the end of the season, whatever the results. No doubt the Appleton adoring disciples will lay claim to anyone who disagrees as being "haterz" as they go on bended knee to their messiah!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Steady on! I'm not a disciple at all, I just think some of the negativity here isn't totally justified.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Mr T wrote:Before the game we were treated to a live rock covers band, Mexico something, who were decent enough, and a great idea. Imagine Radiohead or Supergrass doing a set at the Kassam?!
Are you equating Radiohead and Supergrass with rock covers bands? Heresy!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

GodalmingYellow wrote:No doubt the Appleton adoring disciples will lay claim to anyone who disagrees as being "haterz" as they go on bended knee to their messiah!
Unless that was written tongue-in-cheek, it's a little below the belt. The only thing of which any of us is a disciple is Oxford United Football Club. I don't agree with those who want to give Appleton longer in charge, but I respect that their view is based on what they think is in the best interests of OUFC. You're better than this sort of name-calling.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

At the risk of appearing a little serious, what are the Appleton issues? My view is that he has been a mild disappointment, but not a disaster. I have actually seen some better players in a yellow shirt this season (Baldock, Roofe, TFD), something I would only say about Robbie Hall over the previous five years.

The received wisdom about Wilder as a manager (and useful benchmark) was that he:
- did not trust / bring on our own young players
- was too defensive at home, and did not seek to dominate
- used too many loan players
- did not know his own best team
- signed (permanently) a mixed bunch of players
- was plagued by injuries

Now, Appleton (or his coaches) surely have developed Sam Long, James Roberts, Callum O'Dowda and Josh Ruffels. They have got better, even though as young players they are not consistent.
I think Appleton has known his best team since ?January: Clarke - Baldock - Mullins - Wright - Skarz - Collins - Ruffels/Rose - Hylton - MacDonald - Hoban - O'Dowda/Roofe.
The last couple of weeks of controlled experiment are justified.

We have been relatively free of injury this season - which may, of course, be coincidence.

This leaves our failure to dominate the Kas**m, and the recruitment policy operated by Appleton and Ashton etc.
The failure to look like winning most home games is a really serious problem, because - as we know - it affects attendances directly as well as league position. However (and I wasn't a regular visitor until I moved south in 2006), we as club have never really cracked this. It dearly needs sorting, but it is no worse this season than last.

Appleton has signed far too many players on loan, as he has admitted. He did not know the league, and initially used his England contacts to sign some skilful, lightweight players (Morris, Jakubiak) who were not good enough - but at least as loans he could (and did) get rid. He brought other players in on loan (Riley, Barnett) that he clearly hoped to keep. Whether his failure to do so was poor judgement or bad luck I don't know. Other weak loan signings have at least been terminated quickly (Burns, Howard, Gnanduillet). He has made a couple of poor permanent signings - Brown, perhaps Campbell. He has also made some good ones in MacDonald and (I expect) Skarz. And on paper the side at the end of the season (even if Baldock and Roofe don't sign) is better than the one at the end of last season.

So you could argue 6/7 out of 10??
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Old Abingdonian wrote:I think Appleton has known his best team since ?January: Clarke - Baldock - Mullins - Wright - Skarz - Collins - Ruffels/Rose - Hylton - MacDonald - Hoban - O'Dowda/Roofe.
If those players were all going to be at the club next season (and added to with some proven better ones for League 2) then I would also be reasonably happy with the prospects for next year. If, as I suspect, four or five of that starting eleven are moved on/go back to their parent clubs, then the tinkering to get there will all have been a waste of time and we'll be starting all over again with the experimentation. Especially given that most of that team were here before Appleton arrived
Old Abingdonian wrote:The failure to look like winning most home games is a really serious problem [...]but it is no worse this season than last.
Well, we have won 6 home league games out of 23, with a chance of making it 7 out of 24 on Saturday. Last season - when let's not forget the home form was so bad it resulted in many of our fans wanting the manager to leave, and that was followed by the worst end to a season imaginable - we managed 8 home wins. The previous seasons since we got back into the league, which few were happy with, brought (in reverse order) 9, 10 and 11 home league wins. So yes, it is worse than all of the last 5 seasons.
Old Abingdonian wrote:So you could argue 6/7 out of 10??
You're kidding, right? Deep in a relegation scrap in League 2 until mid-March, with our budget, and you reckon the season is pushing 7 out of 10!?
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Not kidding, but yes, pushing the point.

It genuinely feels no worse this season than last - I stand corrected - although I note we lost nine last year at home, and currently have lost only seven.

What I know nothing about is players' wages, and why - if you are right KY - we are blowing such a large budget. To what extent is this inherited from CW/IL leadership? Do players and their agents 'see us coming' and make unrealistic demands? This would be good to know. I would assume that the youngsters get paid a relatively modest wage, and that would account for O'Dowda / Roberts / Ruffels / Long / Crocombe / Ashby / Bevans etc. Most of the senior players were on contract before the new management arrived. Their permanent signings are Collins / MacDonald / Dunkley / Hoban / Hoskins / Campbell, I think. I can see that MacDonald could expect fair wedge to prise him away from a successful club, and there would have been competition for the signature of Hoban. Or is the cost in loan signings and paying off people we did not want?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Old Abingdonian wrote:It genuinely feels no worse this season than last
Maybe the point here is that, with a little run of games undefeated and a move away from the drop zone, the immediate sense is one of relief and positivity, whereas last season ended with us dropping away from the play-off places. Overall, it is hard to say this season is better than last, but with a sufficiently high discount rate I can see how the last few weeks have given this season a rosier glow.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Two/Three very good/outstanding performances since the beginning of February (Tranmere, Bury and Wycombe). Some vital wins when Appleton needed them and the pressure was being put on from above (Mansfield and Carlisle) - let's be fair both side were dog. A good away draw at Pompey in my book. After that you'd struggle to find any 'good' performances or any 'good' results (appreciate some will read it differently) - they include Acc (A), Burton (A), Morecambe (H), Plymouth (H), Hartlepool (H), Shrews (A), York (H), Wombles (A), Northampton (H).

This notion we are on Play-Off form I don't agree with. Yes we have had three very good results since the 'Mansfield' call-to-arms, all away. Very good nonetheless. But look at our home form and bar the two basket-case football teams/wins, the last thing you'd want to be singing about or trying to convince people is we've turned a corner and have cracked it.

I don't need to add to the revolving door policy debate. The only good news was an admittance in a recent interview, that they had mis-judged L2. Just wish they had taken on board supporters concerns much much earlier. After all, L2 football fans aren't thick, I think WE all know what you need in this league.

I suspect there will be some kind of management re-structuring at the end of the season after DE stated there would be an analysis of performance in some recent programme notes. What that is is anyone's guess? I suspect Appleton will get to change his backroom staff about and that will be seen as the route cause of this seasons issues. Which of course, it isn't.

I think they'll be a fair few leaving the yellow shirt in May but Danny Rose may have done enough in recent weeks to persuade the powers that he deserves a new contract.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:No doubt the Appleton adoring disciples will lay claim to anyone who disagrees as being "haterz" as they go on bended knee to their messiah!
Unless that was written tongue-in-cheek, it's a little below the belt. The only thing of which any of us is a disciple is Oxford United Football Club. I don't agree with those who want to give Appleton longer in charge, but I respect that their view is based on what they think is in the best interests of OUFC. You're better than this sort of name-calling.
Very much TIC. Note the spelling of "haterz" referencing Werthers' original (pun intended) post. It was meant to be funny, so apologies if it didn't come across as I don't want to offend anyone.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Old Abingdonian wrote:At the risk of appearing a little serious, what are the Appleton issues? My view is that he has been a mild disappointment, but not a disaster. I have actually seen some better players in a yellow shirt this season (Baldock, Roofe, TFD), something I would only say about Robbie Hall over the previous five years.

The received wisdom about Wilder as a manager (and useful benchmark) was that he:
- did not trust / bring on our own young players
- was too defensive at home, and did not seek to dominate
- used too many loan players
- did not know his own best team
- signed (permanently) a mixed bunch of players
- was plagued by injuries

Now, Appleton (or his coaches) surely have developed Sam Long, James Roberts, Callum O'Dowda and Josh Ruffels. They have got better, even though as young players they are not consistent.
I think Appleton has known his best team since ?January: Clarke - Baldock - Mullins - Wright - Skarz - Collins - Ruffels/Rose - Hylton - MacDonald - Hoban - O'Dowda/Roofe.
The last couple of weeks of controlled experiment are justified.

We have been relatively free of injury this season - which may, of course, be coincidence.

This leaves our failure to dominate the Kas**m, and the recruitment policy operated by Appleton and Ashton etc.
The failure to look like winning most home games is a really serious problem, because - as we know - it affects attendances directly as well as league position. However (and I wasn't a regular visitor until I moved south in 2006), we as club have never really cracked this. It dearly needs sorting, but it is no worse this season than last.

Appleton has signed far too many players on loan, as he has admitted. He did not know the league, and initially used his England contacts to sign some skilful, lightweight players (Morris, Jakubiak) who were not good enough - but at least as loans he could (and did) get rid. He brought other players in on loan (Riley, Barnett) that he clearly hoped to keep. Whether his failure to do so was poor judgement or bad luck I don't know. Other weak loan signings have at least been terminated quickly (Burns, Howard, Gnanduillet). He has made a couple of poor permanent signings - Brown, perhaps Campbell. He has also made some good ones in MacDonald and (I expect) Skarz. And on paper the side at the end of the season (even if Baldock and Roofe don't sign) is better than the one at the end of last season.

So you could argue 6/7 out of 10??
That's a tad blinkered and spun though OA.

You say mild disappointment, and make comparisons with Wilder, conveniently forgetting that Appleton has spent at least 50% more than Wilder ever did, and began with a squad which had already had all the expensive players (Constable, Kitson) removed. If Appleton had had Wilder's budget, he would not have been able to bring in the likes of Roofe and Baldock, to cover up his earlier shocking signings and in my view we would have been relegation certainties.

Wilder had his faults, and this reply isn't about defending him per se, but he did get us the only promotion we've had in the last 20 years and only missed out on the play offs to league 1 by a whisker on a fraction of the cost of Appleton.

As for the younger players you mention, these were all already developed prior to Appleton's arrival and were borderline for the first team already, with one or two making an appearance, despite Wilder's reluctance to play development squad players in general. Appleton can take very little credit for their development, he can only take credit for being brave enough to play them.

The consistency in the side is down to finally having got the defence properly set up with decent full backs. If you don't concede, you don't lose. But that has hardly converted us into a winning team and we have been lucky to scrape some of the draws too.

You say home form this season is no worse than last, but last season we accumulated 30 points at home with a heavily restricted player budget, compared to 31 this season with a much higher player budget. The seasons before that were 33 points, 39 points and 37 points at home. So in fact Appleton, at present, has the worst record at home since we returned to league football bar one season when Wilder had his budget heavily restricted by Lenagan, yet Appleton has spent at least 50% more than in every one of those seasons under Wilder.

Sure Wilder didn't always produce exciting football, but it got the results and I suspect with Appleton's budget, we would have got promotion under Wilder.

Wilder was worth a good 7/10. Appleton 3/10 if I'm being generous.

Appleton out.