A load of Cobblers

Anything yellow and blue
Shoobedoo
Puberty

A load of Cobblers

Post by Shoobedoo »

Well that was my last game of the season and quite frankly I'm not sad about that.

What a complete load of tosh, particularly in the first half where we made Wilder's lot look like Barcelona. Half time possession report showed Northampton with 66% and I wasn't surprised at all. We had absolutely no midfield; Collins was all over the place, Ruffles badly needs a rest, neither of them were capable of getting the ball out to Roofe or O'Dowda quickly enough, and there was absolutely no support from the full backs. Consequently we were left with aimless hoofs up the pitch to the utterly ineffectual Vassell and increasingly frustrated Hylton.

Second half we were slightly better, particularly after the introduction of the three subs, all of whom were infinitely better than those they replaced. But if it wasn't for the old Chris Wilder trick of defending too deep in the last 10 minutes we would surely have got nothing from the game - which is I reckon what we deserved.

I just don't see us going anywhere with Appleton in charge.

See you next season! :)
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: A load of Cobblers

Post by Jimski »

I agree with all that. Long ball nonsense for most of the game - none of which were reaching our own players. The team as a whole didn't deserve anything from the game, but MacDonald did look very up for it when he came on, and deserved his goal. Rose also improved things when he came on. Hope he stays.

I marginally preferred it when we were being just as ineffectual but actually passing the ball about.

Not sure why we're bothering giving Vassell a game any more. Let's start with Roberts for the final 3 games. And give Josh Ashby another chance or two.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

The above is all true. I've been trying to find the positives with Appleton this season, but have to admit that was hopeless and that if we don't finish strongly his position will be looking pretty indefensible. Vassell is hopeless, isn't he? And he started so well.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

I thought O'Dowda was particularly awful to be honest.

Outmuscled frequently , looked leggy and offered nothing.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Appleton must leave in the summer if we are to move on as a club.

PS. Can't help but notice that Chris Wilder has spent a wodge of cash and with finish between 9th-11th again.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Horrible again last night, horrible.

Shoot me down but are O'Dowda, Ruffells and Roberts really all that or are we willing them to be because they're local? Little bursts of brilliance every 8-10 games isn't enough really is it, or do we blame it on Appleton not being able to get the best out of them? I think we're a bit sentimental about the locals as demonstrated by the prolonged applause when Wilder introduced Hackett and again when COD was taken off after a(nother) disappointing showing.

Personally I have no faith in Appleton being able to pick a player never mind half a team for next season and seriously question the need to renew my ST (although I obviously will...) It's been covered before by others but the only consistently reasonable performers this season were all here when he got here (Clarke, Mullins, Wright, Rose and the excellent Hylton) with the possible exception of Collins. I have no idea why he has decided to play a 36 year old goalkeeper for the rest of the season when surely he should be testing Max Crocombe (who, incidentally, is no longer listed in the squad on the official site and has had his biog removed too - has he been dumped already?) Surely he's not thinking of letting Clarke go?

I am worried that Jake Wright has not been signed up already or is his replacement going to be Chey Dunkley who surely would have gone the same way as Jarrow Roofer if we hadn't already unloaded the usually reliable Michael Raynes?

And Vassell? I've heard of one season wonders (Smalley anyone?) but he's a one shot wonder! Absolutely no reason for him to play again!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I think we are naturally more sentimental about local lads stepping up, and there is nowt wrong with that.

Each of those local players have showed a level of talent, for more than the odd moment, which shows to me that they are good enough, and therefore deserving of the sentimentality.

It is down to the manager to manage the resources properly to get the most out of them. Both Ruffels and O'Dowda have been overplayed, due to the inadequacies of the players that Tippy has brought in. Roberts has not been played enough and was dropped shortly after his regular spell of scoring.

Crocombe should have been playing the last few games. I can't even think of a single good reason why we signed Ashdown.

The players that Tippy has brought in:
Skarz, Brindley, Hoban, MacDonald, Baldock, Ashdown, Collins, Balmy, Vassell, Roofe, Dunkley, Campbell, Hoskins, Brown, Morris, Rasulo, Gnanduillet, Riley, Burns, Barnett, Jakubiak, Howard, Holmes-Dennis.

Of those, only Skarz, Baldock and maybe Roofe have been good enough. That is a very poor record on new signings, by anyone's standards.

I honestly don't see the club moving forwards under Appleton, so if Eales is determined to keep him, I hope he will be cutting ST prices drastically, or I can see sales falling off drastically.

This season has been on of those (where have I heard that before) that has been instantly forgettable and I am looking forward to it ending.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I ‘Jeromed’ it so can’t comment much. Also saw the ‘highlights’ clip if you can call it that - it’s shocking to see the pitch in that kind of state in April. And why do they have the Rugby markings still visible? Other clubs share with egg chasers but you don’t see the markings.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

You didn't rate Holmes-Dennis then GY? I thought he did well when he was here.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

SWA wrote:You didn't rate Holmes-Dennis then GY? I thought he did well when he was here.
No. At the beginning he looked decent, but as time wore on, his defensive positioning became very questionable, arguably perhaps because of Tippy playing him as a wing back rather than as a full back or winger. Too often Wright had to move across to deal with the mess or space left by TH-D, leaving the team exposed in the middle.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I think MacDonald has looked promising (but no more) and Collins reasonable, but yeah in general it's been scattergun.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Has Appleton brought those players in though? Or has it been Ashton and assorted back room staff (I can't even remember the name of the guy we brought in to be head of recruitment, but presumably he's been doing plenty of player choosing).

I'm not saying that Appleton shouldn't shoulder some responsibility for our crap season, but I don't see that changing the head coach will necessarily change the way things are done at OUFC. The DNA runs a lot deeper than Appleton I reckon.

I actually have a sneaking suspicion that ticket pricing will be quite imaginative next year - whether that means slashing prices across the board remains to be seen.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Kernow Yellow wrote: I'm not saying that Appleton shouldn't shoulder some responsibility for our crap season, but I don't see that changing the head coach will necessarily change the way things are done at OUFC. The DNA runs a lot deeper than Appleton I reckon.

I actually have a sneaking suspicion that ticket pricing will be quite imaginative next year - whether that means slashing prices across the board remains to be seen.
My argument is we have good, even quality L2 players here already. Man-Management and tactics are Appleton's remit. I don't think the quality of the players is actually the big issue some want to make out.

Fast-Forward to this Summer and we will bring in, allegedly, some 'more' quality players. If we can't manage the current crop of good quality and hot prospects into a side that can string back-to-back wins together or a string of positive results then why will it change next season?

I remain worried about Clarke - I have been saying for weeks and weeks on the other forum about those concerns and then he is replaced by Ashdown, I remain worried about Danny Hylton and Jake Wright (whatever anyone thinks of him). I am now worried why James Roberts isn't actually playing any meaningful part of games - is he being flogged on?
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Meanwhile at Northampton http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32262097

Northampton Town manager Chris Wilder told BBC Radio Northampton:

"For the most part I enjoyed watching my team at Oxford [on Tuesday] and when they got an undeserved late equaliser it felt like a defeat.

"I asked the players how they wanted the season to finish, I wanted to see if they were on the same page as myself and the coaching staff, and I thought they were, it showed their desire and enthusiasm.

"We're looking at all aspects of the club, we're going to introduce a new sports science and strength and conditioning coach, we're organising pre-season to work a little bit harder and tougher."

Well done Chris. Lenagan did know what he was doing.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Brahma Bull wrote:My argument is we have good, even quality L2 players here already. Man-Management and tactics are Appleton's remit. I don't think the quality of the players is actually the big issue some want to make out.
I don't disagree with you at all, but isn't the issue with the quantity of players rather than the quality? We've signed a lot of players (because someone at OUFC has identified a 'need' for them) who have turned out to be no good, and this has disrupted our season. My argument is that this might have less to do with Appleton than some people imagine. Or are you saying that these players were in fact good enough but Appleton didn't get the best out of them?

I'm not defending Appleton's record as coach/manager this season, but it strikes me that just replacing him while keeping the scattergun approach to signings and DNA fixation might well solve very little. Especially if, as you imply, we might be losing up to three of our more reliable players over the summer, so yet more will need replacing.