Planning issues at Minchery Farm

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: Planning issues at Minchery Farm

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Werthers Original wrote:
Snake wrote:I can’t think of any other club with 2,000 free car park spaces.
The whole idea of people driving to big events like football matches in their little separate cars is pretty silly. There's a railway nearby, the bus service is terrible, there could be a park and ride. No problem with reducing parking if alternatives are properly developed.
Indeed it is and it would be far preferable to have a much higher concentration of public services. One of the issues with this has traditionally been that match dates are random and very irregular, making provision of services prohibitively costly.

I am told that the existing car parks could become multi-storey to get around the issue.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
Werthers Original wrote:
Snake wrote:I can’t think of any other club with 2,000 free car park spaces.
The whole idea of people driving to big events like football matches in their little separate cars is pretty silly. There's a railway nearby, the bus service is terrible, there could be a park and ride. No problem with reducing parking if alternatives are properly developed.
Indeed it is and it would be far preferable to have a much higher concentration of public services. One of the issues with this has traditionally been that match dates are random and very irregular, making provision of services prohibitively costly.

I am told that the existing car parks could become multi-storey to get around the issue.
I know a bit about that via a planning issue I have in my patch, where they want to put an extra deck on our train station car park. First Great Western officially quoted £14,000 a space on a 200 capacity car park. It also still baffles me why the Science Park actually employ people to stop you getting in there when I’m sure lots of people would pay two or three quid to park.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Those 4,000 houses are getting ever closer to getting the nod on the other side of Grenoble Road. The way things are going it won’t be an ‘out of town’ ground for much longer.

The other implication is that 4,000 houses would mean a lot of on street parking, allowing for bigger attendances inside the ground should it ever be finished, and also less need for the huge car parks it already has. Plus of course a better transport service and most probably a few boozers.

On the flip side, it may have passed people by that the Cherwell Local Plan (governing what gets built in that patch until 2031) was passed this week by the Planning Inspectorate. No football ground at Water Eaton or anywhere else in it, but then no one asked for one to be included in the plan at any time. I’ve still no idea how that dream got legs on it to the point of some people thinking it was actually going to happen (other than off the record crap spouted by Ian Hudspeth).

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/133382 ... g_targets/
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Snake wrote:The other implication is that 4,000 houses would mean a lot of on street parking, allowing for bigger attendances inside the ground should it ever be finished, and also less need for the huge car parks it already has.
Or, more likely (I would have thought), more parking restrictions, specifically to prevent footie fans parking there...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Dr Bob wrote:
Snake wrote:The other implication is that 4,000 houses would mean a lot of on street parking, allowing for bigger attendances inside the ground should it ever be finished, and also less need for the huge car parks it already has.
Or, more likely (I would have thought), more parking restrictions, specifically to prevent footie fans parking there...
No, it’s not like at BBL, because the houses were there before the stadium, so it was made a planning condition when the locals kicked up one hell of a fuss. In this case people buying the houses know that there will be cars in their street 25 times a year as the stadium is already there.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Snake wrote:...4,000 houses would mean... most probably a few boozers.
You reckon? I'm struggling to think of (m)any large housing developments over the last ten years where a community pub has formed part of the setup. Whatever does get built will end up being street upon street of bland, boxy, tiny houses and flats, the residents of which will have to get in a car if they want to buy a pint of milk or go for a meal/drink. Not my idea of a good place to live!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Snake wrote:
Dr Bob wrote:
No, it’s not like at BBL, because the houses were there before the stadium, so it was made a planning condition when the locals kicked up one hell of a fuss. In this case people buying the houses know that there will be cars in their street 25 times a year as the stadium is already there.
Ha ha ha! Etc etc!!!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

OCC’s ‘Northern Gateway’ got the official nod yesterday. That big chunk of land covers the southern approaches of Water Eaton until 2026. Browse it all you like, but nothing in there about Oxford United. Ditto for the all powerful multi-council Local Enterprise Partnership Board, or anything on the agenda of the multi-authority Oxfordshire Growth Board for June 25th.

http://oxford.gov.uk/northerngateway
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/13358 ... ef=mr&lp=4

This is interesting, and goes beyond what seems on the surface like a sensible and ambitious idea about having a training facility over the road.

OCC would LOVE this, as it sets a precedent of building on this bit of land given they are desperate to stick a few thousand houses on it. And they own it, so expect 100% backing from our local Town Hall on this one if it ever progresses any further. SOXON on the other hand would fight the planning proposal tooth and nail. In essence then don’t read too much into the ambitions of Eales for the club in this particular story. It’s got a touch of the bullshit Lenagan used to trot out.

Disappointing spin.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Snake wrote:http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/13358 ... ef=mr&lp=4

This is interesting, and goes beyond what seems on the surface like a sensible and ambitious idea about having a training facility over the road.

OCC would LOVE this, as it sets a precedent of building on this bit of land given they are desperate to stick a few thousand houses on it. And they own it, so expect 100% backing from our local Town Hall on this one if it ever progresses any further. SOXON on the other hand would fight the planning proposal tooth and nail. In essence then don’t read too much into the ambitions of Eales for the club in this particular story. It’s got a touch of the bullshit Lenagan used to trot out.

Disappointing spin.
Not sure I see the spin. What I do see is a not very clever announcement that the club intend to stay long term at Grenoble Road, which would no doubt add to any potential purchase price or rent. That's a bit like revealing half your cards in a poker game. And Kassam has the best poker face in history.