Resilient

Anything yellow and blue
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Resilient

Post by ty cobb »

Eric Pollard wrote:
ty cobb wrote:
Eric Pollard wrote:Come on then doom merchants explain that result away .

Top quality defensive performance yesterday . O'Dowda was great when he came on.

I don't know how many times I've posted this but you have to do the basics to win
L2 matches. Ie. 100% effort, closing down of opposition and fearless blocking. Yesterday we were on the money .

This starting 11 looks competitive and combatitive.

No chance of being anywhere near the bottom 2 on that showing. .

Well done Appleton .
How would you like to pay me that tenner?

Why, did the season finish yesterday?
It finished on the 16 December. You don't think you're going to win........do you?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jimski wrote:I'm kinda sick of you having a go at "doom merchants".
Quite. The idea that those of us who don't like the league position and haven't been enamoured of the performances we've seen should be ridiculed for 'negativity' when we get an occasional win is just pathetic really.

For the record, I was absolutely delighted by Saturday's result (I wasn't there so can't comment on the performance). But I'm still massively underwhelmed by the season in general and it will take much, much more than an occasional gritty away win for me to be in any way convinced that Michael Appleton is taking us forwards. He needs to take us forwards from where we were before he got here (which was a lot higher up the table), not just from the depths he lead us to in September. We're looking at finishing in one of our lowest ever league positions - hardly a cause for celebration, let alone gloating.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that our fans have been patient with Appleton, as I don't want to see more mid-season managerial instability. But between now and the end of the season, with his preferred players in place (eventually!), he needs to show that he and we can regularly turn in battling performances, both home and away, and average the 1.75 points per game we're going to need to be troubling the right end of the table next season.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

You used the word 'pathetic' so I can retaliate. What a dippy response.

There are so many delicate flowers on this forum. :lol: Two or three posters here have actually used the word 'doomed' to describe our club recently based on what seems to be based on not very rigorous evidence.

They are ergo 'doom merchants.

Many of them I'd wager are nor regular attenders at our matches. I never comment on games I haven't watched. I saw on Saturday a team that is now difficult to beat away from home.

There is too much willingness to stick the boot in on the club and the management on this forum.

Sure we have had almost 20 years of pretty thin gruel so I have some sympathy I guess - but some of the negativity is almost knee jerk these days.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:You used the word 'pathetic' so I can retaliate. What a dippy response.

There are so many delicate flowers on this forum. :lol: Two or three posters here have actually used the word 'doomed' to describe our club recently based on what seems to be based on not very rigorous evidence.

Many of them I'd wager are nor regular attenders at our matches. I never comment on games I haven't watched. I saw on Saturday a team that is now difficult to beat away from home.

There is too much willingness to stick the boot in on the club and the management on this forum.

Sure we have had almost 20 years of pretty thin gruel so I have some sympathy I guess - but some of the negativity is almost knee jerk these days.
That’s a bit like saying, “hey, just because we’re out of the World Cup we’ve still got the rest of the tournament to look forward to, like the game against Afghanistan on Friday”.

And it's going to 22 years, at best, before a FL promotion was achieved. I'd say that's thick shit soup rather than pretty thin gruel.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Eric Pollard wrote:You used the word 'pathetic' so I can retaliate. What a dippy response.

No, no, no, that doesn't wash Tim.

You said you only comment on games you have seen, then you go on to say that you saw a team that is difficult to beat away from home. No what you saw was a one off battling performance that has no reflection on any other match. The simple fact that we've won just 5 games out of 18 on the road this season, is more than enough to disprove your comment.

You say there is too much willingness to criticise the management. I would say you defend them far too readily, and when you do it is way OTT.

Negativity isn't knee jerk when the quality has been so poor over such a long time.

Appleton has had more than enough time to give even glimpses that he is capable of spending Eales' money to good effect. All he has actually done is spend Eales' money, and any one of us could do that, and I doubt many of us would achieve less than Appleton has. It isn't good enough to keep us in the Football League. Only promotion challenges are good enough for OUFC in League 2 with the money Appleton has spent, and anything else is failure.

Appleton out.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

As is your tendency to pop up after a win and do the "you're not singing any more" schtick, as if those of us who aren't as rose-tinted as you would somehow be unhappy that we've won, that we don't want what's best for the club.

You say there's too much tendency to stick the boot in, but I think our fans have been remarkably patient this season. Far more people were happy to stick the boot into Chris Wilder, who was much quicker to fashion a team that were 'difficult to beat away from home'; who tinkered with loan signings far less than Appleton has. And yes, maybe there is still a bit of resentment from me that our best manager of recent times was effectively hounded out of the club by the same people who expect me to believe that everything is rosy because we just beat ten-man Bury.

I was genuinely excited at the start of the season when Appleton was appointed with proper player recruitment people and an ex-England coach. I thought it could be the start of something special. How many people then thought we'd be 18th in mid-March and only just starting to pull away from a relegation fight? I'm amazed how many people seem happy with this state of affairs. Appleton has enjoyed a much longer grace period than is afforded to most managers these days. He needs to prove that it's been worth it and he can deliver more than just the occasional decent day out.

None of which is intended to detract from a great result on Saturday. Do that week in week out and I'll be a lot happier. Recent results suggest that might, finally, be starting to happen. But it's too little too late to be getting excited about the season. There's no getting away from the fact that we've really, seriously underperformed is there?
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

GodalmingYellow wrote:

You said you only comment on games you have seen, then you go on to say that you saw a team that is difficult to beat away from home. No what you saw was a one off battling performance that has no reflection on any other match. The simple fact that we've won just 5 games out of 18 on the road this season, is more than enough to disprove your comment.

You say there is too much willingness to criticise the management. I would say you defend them far too readily, and when you do it is way OTT.

Negativity isn't knee jerk when the quality has been so poor over such a long time.

Appleton has had more than enough time to give even glimpses that he is capable of spending Eales' money to good effect. All he has actually done is spend Eales' money, and any one of us could do that, and I doubt many of us would achieve less than Appleton has. It isn't good enough to keep us in the Football League. Only promotion challenges are good enough for OUFC in League 2 with the money Appleton has spent, and anything else is failure.

Appleton out.

Who said I was defending the management ? I'm just saying they get too much hammer.

As for your point about this being a one -off , you what?

I've seen 3 gutsy away performance in a month now.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Kernow Yellow wrote:

As is your tendency to pop up after a win and do the "you're not singing any more" schtick, as if those of us who aren't as rose-tinted as you would somehow be unhappy that we've won, that we don't want what's best for the club.

You say there's too much tendency to stick the boot in, but I think our fans have been remarkably patient this season. Far more people were happy to stick the boot into Chris Wilder, who was much quicker to fashion a team that were 'difficult to beat away from home'; who tinkered with loan signings far less than Appleton has. And yes, maybe there is still a bit of resentment from me that our best manager of recent times was effectively hounded out of the club by the same people who expect me to believe that everything is rosy because we just beat ten-man Bury.

I was genuinely excited at the start of the season when Appleton was appointed with proper player recruitment people and an ex-England coach. I thought it could be the start of something special. How many people then thought we'd be 18th in mid-March and only just starting to pull away from a relegation fight? I'm amazed how many people seem happy with this state of affairs. Appleton has enjoyed a much longer grace period than is afforded to most managers these days. He needs to prove that it's been worth it and he can deliver more than just the occasional decent day out.

None of which is intended to detract from a great result on Saturday. Do that week in week out and I'll be a lot happier. Recent results suggest that might, finally, be starting to happen. But it's too little too late to be getting excited about the season. There's no getting away from the fact that we've really, seriously underperformed is there?
Yes, we have underperformed, but there are clear signs we are improving. I'm not happy with the season. I'm not rose-tinted.

I'm just trying to be balanced.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Either you’re being “balanced” or you’re just happy to stay in Division IV. Or maybe you’re a masochist, and you actually enjoy the last 14 years of hurt.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Eric Pollard wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:

Appleton out.

Who said I was defending the management ? I'm just saying they get too much hammer.

As for your point about this being a one -off , you what?

I've seen 3 gutsy away performance in a month now.
If your comments are to be believed, then you should be forced to attend every away match as it seems you only comment on the ones where a modicum (and that is all it is) of success is achieved. :-)

And you appear not to have gone to Burton, or Accrington, or Southend.

5 from 18 is a rubbish record.

And saying the management get too much stick, is de facto defending the management.

Any other manager would have been sacked some time ago with Appleton's record. In my view he hasn't had enough stick, not by a long way.

You can't condone willy nilly spending that achieves retrograde decline.

So exactly how and where has Appleton received too much criticism given his record?
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I just try and support my team. Through thick and mostly thin. Born in Oxford, support Oxford.
We can't all have a cluster of favourite teams like you Snaky .

'This year I will be mainly supporting Swansea etc.

Ooh nice, Wrexham are at Wembley , let's get the red and white scarf out.'

Etc. etc.
:lol:
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I have actually seen 4 away wins, 2 away draws and only 2 away defeats this season.
Maybe I'm biased.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Eric Pollard wrote:They are ergo 'doom merchants.

Many of them I'd wager are nor regular attenders at our matches.
Where is your evidence for this? I am someone who has feared for Us all season (after Saturday's good result I finally feel fairly confident that we'll stay up) and I've missed one home match and been to just under half the away matches this season, so I hope that's enough to validate my opinion.

Do the people that say things like "where are all the Appleton-outers now?" want us to be angry immediately after every single game or for us to instantly change our opinion, like a knee jerk reaction. I don't think I've seen anyone post "where are all the Appleton fans now?" after a defeat.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Eric Pollard wrote:I just try and support my team. Through thick and mostly thin. Born in Oxford, support Oxford.
We can't all have a cluster of favourite teams like you Snaky .

'This year I will be mainly supporting Swansea etc.

Ooh nice, Wrexham are at Wembley , let's get the red and white scarf out.'

Etc. etc.
:lol:
Of course my scarf will get an airing on March 29th. It will be Wrexham’s 4th final in the last ten years. One at the Millennium and three at Wembley. Nothing better than being a ‘casual’ at a club that is owned by the supporters and still has the biggest standing terrace in the UK (albeit not allowed to open ‘cos of elf and safety rules).

Born in Wrexham, relocated close to Swansea in 1978, and moved to Oxfordshire in 1984. What next, telling me off for saying how well Oxford City are doing?

If you want to have a go at me then pick on the form of my village team in North Leigh, or the Welsh national team. Easy targets there. I just like football – at any level.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Eric Pollard wrote:I have actually seen 4 away wins, 2 away draws and only 2 away defeats this season.
Maybe I'm biased.
If biased = deluded! :lol: