Mansfield at home.

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Mansfield at home.

Post by Jimski »

Werthers Original wrote:The moaners and panickers have gone quiet?
Not particularly surprising given we've just had a good win, is it?

Not sure what your point is though.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I moan and panic with the best of them, but my point is that there is always more input here when we lose.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Commitment and will to will a plenty against ultimately abysmal opponents.

I will resist any comments about this team being 'doomed'.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Werthers Original wrote:The moaners and panickers have gone quiet?
Why would you use a 3-0 win to have a dig at fellow Us fans who are worried by our league position? Bizarre.

Anyway, as to yesterday's game - the first 15 minutes was some of the worst I've ever seen Us play (no exaggeration). A bundle of nerves all over the park, a complete inability to keep the ball, Collins and Ruffles beaten to everything in the middle, Long being ripped to shreds at left back. I wondered whether the big build-up to this 'crucial', 'massive' game (which of course it was) had had the complete opposite of the desired effect on the players. Indeed so awful was the quality of the football, and our performance in particular, that when we were gifted a goal against the run of play I couldn't even bring myself to be excited. However, we grew in confidence from the goal and started getting more of a grip of the game, though no-one at half-time could claim to have been entertained by what had been served up.

The spectacle wasn't helped by a weak referee, and two teams seemingly intent on getting opposition players booked at every opportunity, but the second half did see a marked increase in quality in our play and a marked decrease in quality from the Stags. Our second goal was top drawer, both in the finish from Macdonald and the build-up play from O'Dowda. Our new winger was enjoying himself, and was desperate to take the penalty for his hattrick but Hylton stuck the ball under his shirt, put his arm round Macdonald and told him in no uncertain terms that he was taking it. It was a nice touch that when Danny scored Macdonald was first over to him in congratulation, seemingly acknowledging that Hylts had been right to pull rank and apologising for trying to take it off him.

Hylton was arguably lucky to be on the pitch to take the spot-kick after his flailing arm had caught an opponent full in the face a few minutes previously, and he was certainly lucky not to be sent off when he caught the ball in the penalty area late on when already on a yellow - the ref's most baffling decision of the match! He was immediately substituted, and Mickey Lewis seemed to give our top-scorer a long, public dressing down for his stupidity before allowing him to take his seat in the dugout!

With a 3-0 cushion our play was very easy on the eye, but I'm not reading too much into that - Mansfield by now had pretty much given up and the game was long over as a contest. The pleasing thing is that we did what we needed to, and while it was ultimately a comfortable victory it had been anything but in the first half, but we weathered the storm and got the result. We still need a few more like that before I'll breathe easily this season, and a few more again before I'm convinced that Appleton's the man to take us forward longer term.

As an aside, it was nice to rediscover the Catherine Wheel, which has been done up since I last went and had a decent pint of ale on - albeit a Welsh egg-chasing branded one! Nice to see some familiar faces in there too.

A final word about the pitch - it's rubbish isn't it?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

agree with the first twenty minutes, looked like two teams of no-hopers struggling to outdo each other with footballing inability. Almost like a bike race waiting to leave the neutral zone and start racing. suddenly on 25 minutes, a switch was flicked, we started playing football, and got a deserved win. Some people say Hylton should have got a second yellow for the blatant handball, but I think the ref let him off as a) it's normally defenders handballing to prevent a goal, and he didn't do anything more with the ball after the handball.

Long impressed me too, and obviously MacDonald, we must have given him a very good deal for him to desert table topping Burton for another season of L2.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Dr Bob wrote:I am puzzled by the criticism of Hoban for not scoring, when his hold-up play and distribution is exactly what we have been lacking for so long. I also agree that Collins had an excellent game - Whing-like in breaking up attacks, but with more mobility and better skill in the passing. Clearly McDonald is an excellent signing. Baldock looked very good indeed and the longer the game went on, the better Long looked. The little bit we saw of Roofe was also very promising. hopefully MApp will not be bringing anyone else in this season so everyone can settle down and get us over the line.
I agree with all of that.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Matt D wrote:the difference for me was that this was a game where we converted dominance into goals, and made the game comfortable. macdonald may have got man of the match, but i think mullins is in with a good shout of that for his work in that half hour period where the game was even and a real scrap. but once we got our goal, we got a grip on the game, and made sure we scored the goals to retain that. macdonald can really strike a shot, can't he? very impressed with long, too. i can see why he was chosen ahead of meades. he made an early slip when he tried to take a player on in the wrong area, but we got away with it and hopefully that is an important part of his education. he took the ball forward on a couple of occassions and showed some real footballing ability. a lot of work to do, but so encouraging to see us not just win, but deserve to win, and to make our periods of dominance count so that we were comfortable.
I also agree with all of that.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Kernow Yellow wrote: A bundle of nerves all over the park, a complete inability to keep the ball, Collins and Ruffles beaten to everything in the middle, Long being ripped to shreds at left back. I wondered whether the big build-up to this 'crucial', 'massive' game (which of course it was) had had the complete opposite of the desired effect on the players. Indeed so awful was the quality of the football, and our performance in particular, that when we were gifted a goal against the run of play I couldn't even bring myself to be excited. However, we grew in confidence from the goal and started getting more of a grip of the game, though no-one at half-time could claim to have been entertained by what had been served up.
The start was incredibly difficult, but I thought even then the high work-rate was evident. Possession was conceded cheaply, but then bodies thrown on the line to block shots and tackle back. Long's recovery tackle springs to mind as a typical example. As soon as we did manage to get out of our own half, the forward 4 looked dangerous, ably assisted by Baldock breaking forward and supplying crosses from the right and I thought there were one or two signs we could threaten them before the first goal came. By half-time, although maybe fortunate to be ahead at that point, I felt they had put the initial shaky period behind them and there was a reasonable prospect of improvement in the second half.
Kernow Yellow wrote: With a 3-0 cushion our play was very easy on the eye, but I'm not reading too much into that - Mansfield by now had pretty much given up and the game was long over as a contest. The pleasing thing is that we did what we needed to, and while it was ultimately a comfortable victory it had been anything but in the first half, but we weathered the storm and got the result. We still need a few more like that before I'll breathe easily this season, and a few more again before I'm convinced that Appleton's the man to take us forward longer term. A final word about the pitch - it's rubbish isn't it?
More agreement from me.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

First half hour was a classic battle of two teams who were edgy, lacking confidence and more concerned about conceding than taking the game by the scruff. It really was very poor from both sides, not helped by yet another atrocious pitch, which for some bizarre reason had the sprinklers on before the game.

After that 30 minute spell, I had no worries at all about the result.

There was a difference in team play. In the working for each other temperament. An "over my dead body" attitude. The first time I've seen that from an Appleton side, and exactly what is needed in League 2. Once the hard yards have been gained, then the just desserts comes with growing confidence. (Hopefully enough clichés in there!).

MoM for me was Collins. He must have covered many miles, put in many blocks and challenges, slowed down their play, but equally relished in the forward aspect of his game as well. Big shouts too for Macca, and Hoobs who had his best game for the club. Hoobs' play for the team was as much as anyone could ask for and included more than his fair share of defending as well. He is looking fitter, quicker and stronger. He was rarely knocked off the ball up front by Mansfield's physical back line. He just needs some goals and consistency now, but excellent performance.

I couldn't criticise any of the players after the opening half hour. Long impresses me more and more each time I see him, and he is so versatile. MApp had O'Dowda drop a little to help cover Mansfield's excellent #7 (on loan from Brighton?) which is why perhaps O'Dowda wasn't quite as prolific as he has been at times and one of the reasons why we began to dominate as Mansfield's best outlet was snuffed out. That's a fair enough tactic, especially when you have a right footer playing at left back. Baldock had a good game too, as did Roofe, who in his short spell on the pitch looked very skilful indeed.

For once I have nothing to complain about. Let's just hope that this time can be the start of a decent run, because we certainly need it.

Oh go on then, just the one thing - Hylton is a silly boy. He could easily have ruined that result with the elbow and then deliberate hand ball. 9 out of 10 refs would have sent him packing and MApp did the right thing in bringing him off.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

They have a nice drop of Doombar in the Wheel Kernow. Should make you feel at home :lol:
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Werthers Original wrote:I moan and panic with the best of them, but my point is that there is always more input here when we lose.
Actually it's always pretty quiet on here after a win or a loss until the week - most people have better things to be doing on a Sat night than posting up comments about a decent win against a poor Mansfield team.

But as we remain only 6 points off oblivion and 15 off the play offs I'll still maintain my unhappiness about how the season is panning out, I mean look at the teams below us and the two just above us - hardly much to shout about is it?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SWA wrote:They have a nice drop of Doombar in the Wheel Kernow. Should make you feel at home :lol:
No-one down here drinks Doom these days! Tribute remains inexplicably popular however (tastes bland to me). Skinners is my favourite of the larger Cornish breweries, though they're even more wugby-obsessed than the rest, and there are some good smaller ones springing up too (Penpont, Harbour etc). Anyway, they only had Brains beers on in the Catherine Wheel on Saturday but the Bread of Heaven was on good form...
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Delighted with the win. I'm unchanged on the manager though - he's got to go.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Yes, a very welcome win but if we're "too good to go down" (caller to RadOx after the match :roll: ) then we should expect to win games against poor sides like Mansfield (four away defeats in a row before Saturday) with some of the players we have at our disposal.

I thought the first half (even allowing for the goal) was dreadful, particularly the first 30 minutes, and Long was having a nightmare with Baldock not much better but they improved greatly after the break. Did O'Dowda touch the ball in the first 20 minutes? I thought I'd nodded off and woken up in Conference North!

I enjoyed the second half especially after the second goal went in as it was obvious that Mansfield didn't have a clue and we played some nice football without resorting to tippy-tAppy. Roofe was entertaining in his 20 minute cameo but we were already 3-0 up and it will be interesting to see if he can do the same against better teams.

The pitch was, as usual, absolutely shocking and didn't look as if it even been rolled. The club spent 10 grand on it in the summer but how much has the landlord spent since? Has anyone considered that the sprinklers go off before the match as they're on a timer and no maintenance staff remain who know where the switch is?

As for moaning and panicking, at the start of the day we were 3 points off the relegation places (although the optimists will say our goal difference was worth another point!) but if you're happy and comfortable with that then lucky you!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Hog wrote:As for moaning and panicking, at the start of the day we were 3 points off the relegation places (although the optimists will say our goal difference was worth another point!) but if you're happy and comfortable with that then lucky you!
Original ended the posting with a question mark and not a full stop.